It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:28 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6805
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
If this topic needs to be moved, so be it. But I am someone that is fascinated by pictures of stadiums from every sport, even basketball. But I love seeing pictures after the teams have moved out, and the massive arenas that once thrived night in and night out on game day are an empty, quiet, aged reminder of what they once were. Does anyone else have this interest?

I bring this up because I came across these great photos of the Sabres' old home, Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium (The Aud) taken in the last few years before they demolished the building. Apparently the photographer found a way in through a hatch in the sidewalk and was able to walk through the owner's boxes, the locker rooms, the gatekeeper's office. I'll attach the link, the photographer has great captions about how they got in, what each picture is, so if you want to look, it's a great way to spend 5 minutes or so. But I'll throw in a picture from the owner's box too, just to show what I'm talking about.

Image

Here's the link....

http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?page_id=78

Check 'em out, it's a fascinating look at a former landmark of the NHL.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:32 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:11 pm
Posts: 7331
Location: Edge of my seat
Quote:
I tried to clean the place up a little… But there was too much for one person.


:lol:

_________________
Image
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 2296
Location: Red Bud, IL and Section 307 Row M
It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.

_________________
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
Image
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:39 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:06 pm
Posts: 3768
Location: Chesterfield
One day, we will see this for Joe Louis Arena and cream our pants.

_________________
Official 2014-15 LGB Sponsor of David Backes


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6805
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
philco_3 wrote:
It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.


I liked the biohazard bag with the medical supplies from the last game in it, the one that was just spilled out onto the floor. If there was a way to haul those tickets booths out of there, I would have taken one of those.

And there was something eerily creepy about the zamboni ramp and then the other hallway leading off to the right.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:46 pm 
Offline
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 161
Location: St. Simons Island
dmiles2186 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.


I liked the biohazard bag with the medical supplies from the last game in it, the one that was just spilled out onto the floor. If there was a way to haul those tickets booths out of there, I would have taken one of those.

And there was something eerily creepy about the zamboni ramp and then the other hallway leading off to the right.

I LOVE that stuff. I'll try to find the link but I found a story about a guy who went through abandoned buildings in big cities. He saw some CRAZY S**T! Dead bodies, homeless people living around them who don't care, old cars, all kinds of stuff.

_________________
REPRESENTING REAL HOCKEY DOWN SOUTH!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:39 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 5010
Location: Phi Alpha
These pics are eerie as hell; its awesome. I like all the captions- reminds me of the play by play of videos of those deep sea subs searching Titanic and crap :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:52 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
That is an awesome set of photos from the Aud. I would love to see some current photos of Chicago Stadium, but alas, it is a parking lot.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:21 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6805
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Ruutu15 wrote:
That is an awesome set of photos from the Aud. I would love to see some current photos of Chicago Stadium, but alas, it is a parking lot.


Chicago Stadium was one of the ones I looked for but I couldn't find too many pictures of it in its abandoned state. The Aud has been demolished as well, I believe. I saw a picture of it when it was half-demolished, same for Chicago Stadium. There's just something so weird about seeing these gigantic arenas cut in half, twisted metal hanging out the side, crumbled brick or concrete falling to the ground.

I found a great site that had TONS of pictures of the old (Detroit) Tigers Stadium that sat empty for almost 10 years. They had started to let people go in in recent years to take pictures. Decay on the dugouts and seats were apparent, as well as vegetation growing in the concourses etc. I can't find the link anymore though. If I do, I'll post it.

If anyone else has any good pictures, feel free to throw them in here.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20632
Location: Center Ice
When I was given a press pass one game last season, I had to go downstairs at Scottrade to get it. I was wandering around in the basement, looking for an elevator back up, and down a vacant hallway I found an old as hell looking huge wooden door. It looked 100 years old, which is odd, since Scottrade was built in the 90's. I am guessing that it was part of the old Keil Opera House that connects to Scottrade. I wanted to go in and look around, but it was locked up.
I bet the Keil Opera House is a massive dump inside now. It's been vacant for decades.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 2296
Location: Red Bud, IL and Section 307 Row M
I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.

_________________
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
Image
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
philco_3 wrote:
I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.


Tiger Stadium was one of my favorite parks to catch a game. Everyone talked about the charm of Fenway and Wrigley, but I liked Tiger Stadium the best of the three. I always thought the city should leave Tiger Stadium where it is, although it is a shame to see the old place turn into a weed-infested dump.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 2296
Location: Red Bud, IL and Section 307 Row M
Ruutu15 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.


Tiger Stadium was one of my favorite parks to catch a game. Everyone talked about the charm of Fenway and Wrigley, but I liked Tiger Stadium the best of the three. I always thought the city should leave Tiger Stadium where it is, although it is a shame to see the old place turn into a weed-infested dump.


I just remember Tiger Stadium having that 450'(?) center field.

_________________
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
Image
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:11 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:08 am
Posts: 5493
Location: Section 306
http://www.undergroundozarks.com

Lots of cool "exploring" sites and links to other explorers' sites.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:20 am
Posts: 14178
Location: North City
philco_3 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.


Tiger Stadium was one of my favorite parks to catch a game. Everyone talked about the charm of Fenway and Wrigley, but I liked Tiger Stadium the best of the three. I always thought the city should leave Tiger Stadium where it is, although it is a shame to see the old place turn into a weed-infested dump.


I just remember Tiger Stadium having that 450'(?) center field.

Don't forget the flagpole that was in play much like Houston has today.

_________________
Image
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 2634
Location: Mizzou
GaBluesFan wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.


I liked the biohazard bag with the medical supplies from the last game in it, the one that was just spilled out onto the floor. If there was a way to haul those tickets booths out of there, I would have taken one of those.

And there was something eerily creepy about the zamboni ramp and then the other hallway leading off to the right.

I LOVE that stuff. I'll try to find the link but I found a story about a guy who went through abandoned buildings in big cities. He saw some CRAZY S**T! Dead bodies, homeless people living around them who don't care, old cars, all kinds of stuff.



Besides the dead bodies maybe, isn't that what you would expect to be in an abandoned building? Guess thats crazy shit though.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 2296
Location: Red Bud, IL and Section 307 Row M
Update on the old Buffalo Aud.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281098

_________________
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
Image
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:46 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: Tampa FL
I know it's not really an "old" building, but I drove by Reunion Arena the other day (where the stars played their home games until 2001, its last game was actually against us, game 2 of the western conference semis when we swept them). It's halfway through the demolition process, you can literally see right into the arena, almost as if it was a cross section of it. It was bizarre to say the least.

EDIT:

I found a picture:

Image

Imagine that but about with only about half of the arena left.

_________________
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:53 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:33 pm
Posts: 4611
Location: SMP's Posse
It was only a matter of time for Reunion after they built the American Airlines Center. The location is definitely more valuable than the building at this point. What are they going to build in its place? More condos? I saw a few games at Reunion and it was pretty crummy. It wasn't that run down, just dated, small, and lame. I remember during their Stanley Cup run they had to bring in big temporary air conditioners to keep the building cool enough that the ice wouldn't melt. The original HVAC system was not designed for hockey in the Texas summer.

_________________
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Posts: 13353
Location: 55 n Inbev
big d note wrote:
It was only a matter of time for Reunion after they built the American Airlines Center. The location is definitely more valuable than the building at this point. What are they going to build in its place? More condos? I saw a few games at Reunion and it was pretty crummy. It wasn't that run down, just dated, small, and lame. I remember during their Stanley Cup run they had to bring in big temporary air conditioners to keep the building cool enough that the ice wouldn't melt. The original HVAC system was not designed for hockey in the Texas summer.


I definitely recall when they were regularly in the last couple rounds how terrible their ice was. At times players would just step through it in places. It was comically bad even with the extra AC.

_________________
Image

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group