It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:09 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
I would have liked to see Clemmensen over Conklin..

I as well.

2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

agreed.

None of the options really had deep playoff experience, except khabibulin. Conklin played 10 minutes? Harding and Clemmenson have none.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Ty Conklin...Really?!?

Why do we keep signing shitty goaltenders?

Conklin was decent only because he played for Detroit. He's going to be shitty with us. You could stick a franking mouse in goal for Detroit and they would win games. I'm not happy about this signing at all, considering we've already got Mason and could use Bishop or Beckford as a backup! Yes I know, we have him for "insurance" reasons. Screw that. I have faith in Mason and the backups and I think Conklin is just taking up a spot which he will rarely utilize and he's a waste of salary. All these great signings this season ... Hossa, Pronger...but we got CONKLIN! Woo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:48 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

xbleed83bluex wrote:
Ty Conklin...Really?!?

Conklin was decent only because he played for Detroit. He's going to be shitty with us. You could stick a franking mouse in goal for Detroit and they would win games. I'm not happy about this signing at all, considering we've already got Mason and could use Bishop or Beckford as a backup! Yes I know, we have him for "insurance" reasons. Screw that. I have faith in Mason and the backups and I think Conklin is just taking up a spot which he will rarely utilize and he's a waste of salary. All these great signings this season ... Hossa, Pronger...but we got CONKLIN! Woo.

Becky-Sue is still in the system?

By the way, how do you propose JD and Co. pay for Hossa and Pronger? As I understand, we have what, 5 mil cap room right now? Some of that's going to Polak or a lot of that is going to his replacement. I don't know about you, but I want to save cap room for when it comes time to sign Perron, et al.

LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:05 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

xbleed83bluex wrote:
Ty Conklin...Really?!?

Beckford-Tseu plays for Florida's ECHL team. But continue with your uneducated rant.. I am glad you are back, I have missed your posts.. :roll:

You probably think we should have traded Petro, Oshie and our first this year for Pronger too huh?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:
Ty Conklin...Really?!?

By the way, how do you propose JD and Co. pay for Hossa and Pronger? As I understand, we have what, 5 mil cap room right now? Some of that's going to Polak or a lot of that is going to his replacement. I don't know about you, but I want to save cap room for when it comes time to sign Perron, et al.

I will agree with xbleed only on the fact that it is ridiculous for us to only have $5 mil available. I'm not saying anything bad about the Conklin deal, just the simple fact that we overpay our current players to the point where we can't get guys like Pronger, Hossa, etc. Brewer at $4.25, Jackman at $3.625, even Johnson at $3.7 doesn't sit well with me.

So while I find his rant completely unnecessary, I agree that if we didn't have too much money tied up in unneeded places, we would be able to see a big FA signing. Unfortunately, that is simply not possible right now.

2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

St. Louis Blues writer for InsideSTL.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:32 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:
Ty Conklin...Really?!?

I will agree with xbleed only on the fact that it is ridiculous for us to only have $5 mil available. I'm not saying anything bad about the Conklin deal, just the simple fact that we overpay our current players to the point where we can't get guys like Pronger, Hossa, etc. Brewer at $4.25, Jackman at $3.625, even Johnson at $3.7 doesn't sit well with me.

So while I find his rant completely unnecessary, I agree that if we didn't have too much money tied up in unneeded places, we would be able to see a big FA signing. Unfortunately, that is simply not possible right now.

I agree it is a little ridiculous we only have 5 mil in cap space but even if we had more I don't think we would have went after Hossa. Also, I don't know why you guys bring up Pronger with Hossa, we would have had to trade a lot for Pronger just to allow us to pay him all our cap space. Now if we are talking about singing Pronger as a UFA that might happen next year when he is actually a UFA and Kariya is gone and we have more money freed up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:27 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

section319 wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:
Ty Conklin...Really?!?

I agree it is a little ridiculous we only have 5 mil in cap space but even if we had more I don't think we would have went after Hossa. Also, I don't know why you guys bring up Pronger with Hossa, we would have had to trade a lot for Pronger just to allow us to pay him all our cap space. Now if we are talking about singing Pronger as a UFA that might happen next year when he is actually a UFA and Kariya is gone and we have more money freed up.

You think it's that straightforward that Kariya is already written off as a loss next offseason? I personally wasn't sure either way- I feel a lot of it has to do with how he plays this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Well, even if he does resign it won't be for $6 mil, and he shouldn't make more than Andy does unless he has a stellar year this year. So, either way it frees up anywhere from 2 to 6 million in cap space.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

section319 wrote:
Well, even if he does resign it won't be for $6 mil, and he shouldn't make more than Andy does unless he has a stellar year this year. So, either way it frees up anywhere from 2 to 6 million in cap space.

Kariya has become a team jumper since leaving Anaheim. He will sign for what he feels he deserves and there will be no discussion about price. I see him going to a team that offers the highest price and I don't feel the Blues will offer what he feels he deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

He wanted to re-sign with Nashville for much less money before signing here. They were going through ownership problems and make an offer to him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:15 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Good unless he really impresses this year, I don't really want him back, yeah it was kickass when we signed Paul Kariya but he hasn't performed for 6 mill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

section319 wrote:
Good unless he really impresses this year, I don't really want him back, yeah it was kickass when we signed Paul Kariya but he hasn't performed for 6 mill.

I was excited as anyone when we first signed him. After the numbers he's put up and the games he's missed, I think he owes us an extra year for free!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

That would be nice to get a refund out of him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sweetred95ta wrote:
section319 wrote:

I was excited as anyone when we first signed him. After the numbers he's put up and the games he's missed, I think he owes us an extra year for free!

I really wish that there was a way to put in a contract (and have the player agree to it) that if a player under-produces or doesn't play enough, that player should play for less money one more season or something. Think of all the money the Blues would have saved over the past few years!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm 
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

philco_3 wrote:

PK or KT?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

stlbluz wrote:
philco_3 wrote:

PK or KT?

Paul for being injured for most of the season.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion