It is currently Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kessel Traded To Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20492
Location: Center Ice
For 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick.
Then Kessel signs a 5-year, $27 million contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291601

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 am 
Online
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Posts: 3033
Location: Yorktown, VA
Glad we didn't give any of that up.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:53 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 2634
Location: Mizzou
I don't know two late 1st round draft picks and a 2nd for a guy who scored more goals then anyone on the team this year.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:41 am
Posts: 1603
Location: Now located in O'fallon(the good one)
Bad move for the leafs. Why would you do this when you just started the major rebuild?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:19 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9714
Location: Billings, MT
Topshelf331 wrote:
Bad move for the leafs. Why would you do this when you just started the major rebuild?


I agree. I suppose a better team's 1st rounders wouldn't have been enough to get the trade done though. Toronto must have figured Kessel is better than anything they'd be getting in the draft.

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Posts: 3322
Location: sec 316
So this is St. Louis Blues discussion, how? J/K.
Had they signed him to an offer sheet, wouldn't they have given up a 1,2, and 3? Why would they give up a 1, 2, and 1?

_________________
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:07 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:21 am
Posts: 6327
Location: Worcester, MA
section319 wrote:
I don't know two late 1st round draft picks and a 2nd for a guy who scored more goals then anyone on the team this year.


Toronto still sucks...next year's pick will be top 15 easy.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20492
Location: Center Ice
Leedog wrote:
So this is St. Louis Blues discussion, how? J/K.
Had they signed him to an offer sheet, wouldn't they have given up a 1,2, and 3? Why would they give up a 1, 2, and 1?


See the subject under the name of this forum:
Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. :wink:

You figure that Kessel will be better than anything they would have gotten in the draft..and you have to give to get.
The Leafs added a very good player without giving up anyone off of the roster. I like the move for them, even though they gave up some very good picks...but they may turn out to be nothing, and often do.

The Leafs are quickly getting much better. I don't think they are of the mindset to build for the future. They want to build to win now and in the next few years.

What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:36 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:21 am
Posts: 6327
Location: Worcester, MA
cprice12 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.


They couldn't get him under the cap...plus the fact he is a first class arse in the locker room made it an easy decision to not sign him.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:27 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Posts: 3322
Location: sec 316
My point is they gave up more in the trade than they woulda via offer sheet, if I understand correctly. The 1 and 2 are consistant, but the trade yielded a second #1 instead of a #3.

_________________
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:42 pm
Posts: 10347
Leedog wrote:
My point is they gave up more in the trade than they woulda via offer sheet, if I understand correctly. The 1 and 2 are consistant, but the trade yielded a second #1 instead of a #3.

I guess they didn't want to wait for the 4th round to make a draft choice next summer.

_________________
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:32 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 2634
Location: Mizzou
210 wrote:
section319 wrote:
I don't know two late 1st round draft picks and a 2nd for a guy who scored more goals then anyone on the team this year.


Toronto still sucks...next year's pick will be top 15 easy.


I am saying if we traded for him though, it would be two late firsts. Yeah, Boston is definitely going to have some pretty good picks with those 2 firsts.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:25 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:06 pm
Posts: 3764
Location: Chesterfield
Boston has 4 first rounders in the next 2 years. They could trade those away at the deadline and bring in some talent for a playoff push.

_________________
Official 2014-15 LGB Sponsor of David Backes


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:24 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20492
Location: Center Ice
210 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.


They couldn't get him under the cap...plus the fact he is a first class arse in the locker room made it an easy decision to not sign him.


I understand that, but if I'm Boston, I want at least one player in return who can help my cup contending team this year.

As of right now, Boston just got worse for this season.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:21 am
Posts: 6327
Location: Worcester, MA
cprice12 wrote:
210 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.


They couldn't get him under the cap...plus the fact he is a first class arse in the locker room made it an easy decision to not sign him.


I understand that, but if I'm Boston, I want at least one player in return who can help my cup contending team this year.

As of right now, Boston just got worse for this season.


They can't get anyone else under the cap either :grin:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:22 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:50 am
Posts: 1467
Location: Saint Charles, MO
Thanks alot Toronto, for continuing to drive up the price of our RFAs. They didn't do Chicago any favors either. When will teams stop giving massive amounts of money to players coming out of their entry level contracts?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gaijin, Google [Bot], Portland Blues, The Flake, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group