Let's Go Blues :: Kessel Traded To Leafs
Let's Go Blues
http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/

Kessel Traded To Leafs
http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27280
Page 1 of 1

Author:  cprice12 [ Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Kessel Traded To Leafs

For 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick.
Then Kessel signs a 5-year, $27 million contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291601

Author:  gaijin [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Glad we didn't give any of that up.

Author:  section319 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

I don't know two late 1st round draft picks and a 2nd for a guy who scored more goals then anyone on the team this year.

Author:  Topshelf331 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Bad move for the leafs. Why would you do this when you just started the major rebuild?

Author:  ViPeRx007 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Topshelf331 wrote:
Bad move for the leafs. Why would you do this when you just started the major rebuild?


I agree. I suppose a better team's 1st rounders wouldn't have been enough to get the trade done though. Toronto must have figured Kessel is better than anything they'd be getting in the draft.

Author:  Leedog [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

So this is St. Louis Blues discussion, how? J/K.
Had they signed him to an offer sheet, wouldn't they have given up a 1,2, and 3? Why would they give up a 1, 2, and 1?

Author:  210 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

section319 wrote:
I don't know two late 1st round draft picks and a 2nd for a guy who scored more goals then anyone on the team this year.


Toronto still sucks...next year's pick will be top 15 easy.

Author:  cprice12 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Leedog wrote:
So this is St. Louis Blues discussion, how? J/K.
Had they signed him to an offer sheet, wouldn't they have given up a 1,2, and 3? Why would they give up a 1, 2, and 1?


See the subject under the name of this forum:
Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. :wink:

You figure that Kessel will be better than anything they would have gotten in the draft..and you have to give to get.
The Leafs added a very good player without giving up anyone off of the roster. I like the move for them, even though they gave up some very good picks...but they may turn out to be nothing, and often do.

The Leafs are quickly getting much better. I don't think they are of the mindset to build for the future. They want to build to win now and in the next few years.

What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.

Author:  210 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

cprice12 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.


They couldn't get him under the cap...plus the fact he is a first class arse in the locker room made it an easy decision to not sign him.

Author:  Leedog [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

My point is they gave up more in the trade than they woulda via offer sheet, if I understand correctly. The 1 and 2 are consistant, but the trade yielded a second #1 instead of a #3.

Author:  ohio BLUES [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Leedog wrote:
My point is they gave up more in the trade than they woulda via offer sheet, if I understand correctly. The 1 and 2 are consistant, but the trade yielded a second #1 instead of a #3.

I guess they didn't want to wait for the 4th round to make a draft choice next summer.

Author:  section319 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

210 wrote:
section319 wrote:
I don't know two late 1st round draft picks and a 2nd for a guy who scored more goals then anyone on the team this year.


Toronto still sucks...next year's pick will be top 15 easy.


I am saying if we traded for him though, it would be two late firsts. Yeah, Boston is definitely going to have some pretty good picks with those 2 firsts.

Author:  Winning Unlimited [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Boston has 4 first rounders in the next 2 years. They could trade those away at the deadline and bring in some talent for a playoff push.

Author:  cprice12 [ Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

210 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.


They couldn't get him under the cap...plus the fact he is a first class arse in the locker room made it an easy decision to not sign him.


I understand that, but if I'm Boston, I want at least one player in return who can help my cup contending team this year.

As of right now, Boston just got worse for this season.

Author:  210 [ Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

cprice12 wrote:
210 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Boston, who is a cup contender, would give up Kessel for guys who won't make an impact, if ever, for years. Boston is a cup contender now. You'd think they would have traded Kessel for a guy or two that could help their team this year. Sure, they'll enjoy the picks in the draft when they get them, but that doesn't help them this year, or next year even. I guess they could always trade one of those first rounders to pick up a guy at the deadline to improve their club. We'll see.


They couldn't get him under the cap...plus the fact he is a first class arse in the locker room made it an easy decision to not sign him.


I understand that, but if I'm Boston, I want at least one player in return who can help my cup contending team this year.

As of right now, Boston just got worse for this season.


They can't get anyone else under the cap either :grin:

Author:  JWatt (formerly PMS) [ Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kessel Traded To Leafs

Thanks alot Toronto, for continuing to drive up the price of our RFAs. They didn't do Chicago any favors either. When will teams stop giving massive amounts of money to players coming out of their entry level contracts?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/