It's really hard to enjoy this win considering the game was played in another country during the day and I wasn't able to watch it. Is everyone seeing now why I wasn't on board with these Sweden games? It sucks for fans. And it sucks even more for the Blues because a game in Sweden IS a home game for Detroit, so we lost a home game.
My sentiments exactly. Which is why I wrote about that very thing on the LGB home page last week. Starting the season in Sweden is stupid for numerous reasons.
I got to watch the game however. I took off work at noon and found a small hole-in-the-wall sports bar that had Versus and I watched it with a few buddies of mine. Anyone ever been to "The Hut" in O'Fallon? Great cheeseburgers, cheap blue moon and a Blues win over the Wings made for a great afternoon.
Sorry you missed it. But trust me...it was a great game. Coming back from being down 3-1 against Detroit in what is really a home game for them, the crowd was heavily in favor of Detroit, was great.
A few thoughts...
- McCreary was to blame for the Draper's goal. He interfered with Polak, and actually grabbed him a bit when Draper was trying to beat him wide and cut to the net...it was bullshit. That little holdup on Polak allowed Draper to cut to the net where Ericsson eventually put the rebound into an open net.
- The 2nd goal for Detroit was a shorthanded breakaway after the puck wasn't held in at the point. Bad goal to give up to Maltby. Good shot on his part. God I can't stand that prick.
- Leino scored on a bad change very late in the double minor to Steen. It looked like a good high shot.
- Mason committed highway robbery on Cleary in front of the net. Great glove save.
- When Detroit was up 3-1 they were really taking it to the Blues at the time...and then the Blues got a power play goal from Kariya that completely changed the game. After that, the Blues took the play to the Wings the rest of the period and netted two more in the process. Real nice finish to the period.
- Both of Kariya's goals were nice hard wrist shots that zipped by Osgood just inside the post, blocker side. Crombeen's goal was a "right place at the right time" kind of goal. He got rewarded for going to the net and a rebound came right out to him and he deflected it back into the net. Osgood did a poor job of controlling the rebound and put it right into the slot.The reffing in this game was horrible.
- Oshie was called for delay of game because he cleared the puck over the bench and into the crowd because they didn't have glass installed behind the benches. WTF? Why is that? That shouldn't have been a penalty. Murray argued but it didn't matter.
- Oshie may have gotten away with interference behind the net on the first goal of the game. Hard to say...he wasn't moving his feet, but he knew what he was doing. Iffy non-call.
- I think it was Lidstrom who high sticked Crombeen after he scored...no call. He got a blade in the face and went down...but they didn't call it.
- And of course, there was the play where McCreary allowed the Wings to score their first goal, as I described above.
But hey...we won!!