Yeah, talk about inconsistent...
But you know, the consistently good guys are always "out of our price range".
When we have an important spot to fill, these are usually our options:
- Sign an over the hill guy hoping he has another year or two in him.
- Sign a value player and hope he plays over his head.
- Tell our current guys, "you just have to play better".
- Bring up a youngster and hope he can contribute.
- Put a package together and make a trade for someone.
Unless we were resigning one of our own players, we have NEVER, EVER signed an expensive big name free agent stud in his prime, coming from another team...NEVER.
Paul Kariya was our biggest free agent signing ever...and he was over the hill and we vastly overpaid.
Blues fans should be hella pissed that we have never, not once, signed a big name free agent in his prime.
Uh, Keith Tkachuk and Doug Weight, were signed by the Blues, as the top UFA's in their class in 2000/2001, and 2001/2002 repectively...both were under 30, and both were captains at their former teams...
The Problem , as I see it ,with gaining a big name UFA is that they have to be able to play your team's style of play, which we haven't really found yet...You can spend all the money in the world, and bring in guys like Kovulchuk, only to see that money wasted, because he doesn't play into the team's strengths. Armstrong inferred as much earlier this week, when he said that although Kovulchuk is a tremendous player, he doesn't fit into our plans.
I think that what is happening with the organization right now, can/will reap tremendous benefits for all us fans in the future.
1) The organization has has shored up the goalie position for the forseeable future, with the signing of Halak
2) Our defense is going to be something special with Johnson and Petro back there.
3) Our offense , with the likes of Amac, Boyes, Perron, Bergy, Oshie, and Steen, is actually a pretty stellar top 6...
4) I honestly believe that a whole year with Payne, will pay dividens with our transition game, and will ultimately result in a huge amount of goals this year..
I may be drinking blues Koolaid, but damn it tastes so good
I bleed blue, do you>>??