Congratulations, Dollar Dave. You're Bill Laurie, part two.
Interesting and discouraging that every agent is brining up the Towerbrook situation.
I wouldn't call Checketts, "Bill Laurie part two".
If the Towerbrook group wasn't backing out of the ownership group, things may be different.
But, you know, that's been the trend with this organization since we came into the league...every handfull of years we've had ownership issues...or we just get screwed by a high up individual in the organization.
- Only five years after purchasing the Blues from the Sid Solomon, Ralston-Purina (under new ownership...and the new owner didn't like hockey) put the Blues up for sale and cut the team's front offices staff to three employees...three. (How is that even possible?) We were sold to a group wanting to move the team to Saskatoon, but the NHL blocked the sale. So Purina literally padlocked the doors to the Checkerdome, abandoned the team and turned them over to the NHL. We didn't draft anyone that year because we didn't send a representative to the draft. We were destined to be contracted and dissolved until Harry Ornest saved the day in the 11th hour. I don't think people realize how close that came to happening.
- Harry Ornest then sells the team just two years later to Michael Shanahan.
- Pat Quinn ratted out the organization on the "tampering with Stevens" case... and being stupid enough to leave an obvious paper trail...costing us draft picks. Douchebag.
- Mike Keenan trading away fan favorites and impact players for "his guys"...which ended up being a disaster.
- Bill Laurie, after getting the Blues close, pulled in the reigns and didn't let the team sign any free agents from the biggest and best free agent pool in the history of the league, and also forced Pleau to trade Pronger for basically nothing because he didn't want any big contracts on the books since he was trying to sell the team...essentially putting us behind every other team in the NHL coming out of the lockout. And not surprisingly, we finished last overall.
- Checketts and his group buy the team. Start a rebuilding process.
- Towerbrook pulls out of the ownership group, and has apparently tied the hands of the organization during the current offseason free agency period.
It would be nice to not have ownership issues that rival soap opera story lines.
2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller