It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:37 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8272
Location: Long Island, NY
Just posted up on Twitter:

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues

BREAKING NEWS: The Blues have agreed to terms with T.J. Oshie on a five-year contract. Details coming to stlouisblues.com soon #stlblues

Follow up tweet:

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues

Oshie's contract is worth an average of $4.175 million per year. Official press release will be available Friday. #stlblues

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Good call, DaDitka! I bow to your prognosticating prowess.

_________________
Official Sponsor Dmitri Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
I'm glad we can put this behind us and we've got him locked up for 5 years. While the numbers came in right were we all thought they would, he better kick up that goal production a little. You may think there isn't much of a difference between his 19 goals this year and say 25 next year, but that's a 25% increase.

He's good for the city and the team and always give 100%, so if I was going to go 5 years and IMO pay a guy on the high end of his value...I think Oshie was a safe bet for that investment.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
If you look at the breakdown it looks better, 2012-13 $3.375, 13-14 $4, 14-15 $4.5, 15-16 $4.5, 16-17 $4.5

3.375 isn't bad this year and the 4.5's on the back end may very well be 'cheap' in 4-5 years compared to the rest of the league.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:11 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
DaDitka wrote:
If you look at the breakdown it looks better, 2012-13 $3.375, 13-14 $4, 14-15 $4.5, 15-16 $4.5, 16-17 $4.5

3.375 isn't bad this year and the 4.5's on the back end may very well be 'cheap' in 4-5 years compared to the rest of the league.


I don't really care what his actual salary is year to year.
The yearly cap hit is what is important...and his cap hit will be less than his actual salary over the last 3 years of the contract.

Yes, it would be nice to see him net a few more goals...and I think he'll be a 25+ goal guy very soon. But folks get too caught up in goals scored. He does so much more for this team than just score goals. I think it's just magnified because this team needs better goal production.

Glad he's locked up for a while. :letsgoblues:

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8272
Location: Long Island, NY
If Tank (in a couple years because I don't think anyone expects him to make the jump and score 50 right away) can pot goals on the regular and our offensive woes become a thing of the past, Oshie's actual worth to this team will become very clear to everyone who, at the moment, expects him to do nothing except produce points.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3206
very good signing for both sides

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:02 pm
Posts: 1797
Location: In Fargo, eh?
cardsfan04 wrote:
very good signing for both sides

:plusplus: Absolutely agreed.

_________________
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6788
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

It's not the flashiest, highest-scoring core. But everyone of these guys was brought in either through draft or trade. Smart front office moves that put the right pieces in place. Kudos.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
glen a richter wrote:
Oshie's actual worth to this team will become very clear to everyone who, at the moment, expects him to do nothing except produce points.


I don't think Oshie's value should be tied solely to points by no means.....but the points are why he get's 4 mill instead of 2.5.

While I appreciate TJs hard nosed two way play....there are a lot of wingers out there that can offer that. What we hope makes him different and justifies over 4 mill a year is that he produces enough points that it allows you to play that two way forward regularly in your top 6.

He's never going to be the 30+ goal scorer 90% of this board was expecting him to be at this time last year. But a 20+ goal scored that plays as hard as TJ is worth more to me then a one way 30 goal guy who doesn't forecheck and is a liability in the defensive end.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
DaDitka wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Oshie's actual worth to this team will become very clear to everyone who, at the moment, expects him to do nothing except produce points.


I don't think Oshie's value should be tied solely to points by no means.....but the points are why he get's 4 mill instead of 2.5.

While I appreciate TJs hard nosed two way play....there are a lot of wingers out there that can offer that. What we hope makes him different and justifies over 4 mill a year is that he produces enough points that it allows you to play that two way forward regularly in your top 6.

He's never going to be the 30+ goal scorer 90% of this board was expecting him to be at this time last year. But a 20+ goal scored that plays as hard as TJ is worth more to me then a one way 30 goal guy who doesn't forecheck and is a liability in the defensive end.


He's had injury issues his first couple years in the league as well. Might have slowed his development some as far as goal scoring goes.
I don't think anyone can dispute that he has the skills to hit 30 goals at some point during this 5 year contract. Whether he does or not is a different story.
He hasn't reached his prime yet. So if he elevates his play and matures some more, this could be a very nice contract in a year or two.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am 
Online
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Posts: 3055
Location: Yorktown, VA
I like it. Oshie is my sons' favorite player, so it's good to see he'll be around for them to watch for some more years.

Although I suspect they like him because his name rhymes with "Yoshi."

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:58 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 4992
Location: Phi Alpha
dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

It's not the flashiest, highest-scoring core. But everyone of these guys was brought in either through draft or trade. Smart front office moves that put the right pieces in place. Kudos.


This makes me smile. We've shown the league last year that it doesn't have to be two guys scoring 50 and then a drop off to the next highest producer being 10 to be successful in this league. Nothing wrong with scoring by committee. We're deep and we're good and we're (relatively) cheap. Love it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8272
Location: Long Island, NY
Kurker seems to be sort of in the same mold as well. We'll see.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:56 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Posts: 2490
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-
4 million? he probably makes that money back and more in jerseys, autographs, etc..

_________________
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: Jacksonville, FL
WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

It's not the flashiest, highest-scoring core. But everyone of these guys was brought in either through draft or trade. Smart front office moves that put the right pieces in place. Kudos.


This makes me smile. We've shown the league last year that it doesn't have to be two guys scoring 50 and then a drop off to the next highest producer being 10 to be successful in this league. Nothing wrong with scoring by committee. We're deep and we're good and we're (relatively) cheap. Love it.


It's successful in the regular season. Playoffs? Not so much. Someone has to be capable of stepping up when the competition gets stiffer and none of the Blues forward lines did that vs LA. Don't even bring up Stewie's one-game effort which should have been there from Game 1 of the SJ series.

_________________
Official Sponsor Dmitri Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:01 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8272
Location: Long Island, NY
25's one game effort should have been there from game one of the season, forget just game one of the SJ series.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 2296
Location: Red Bud, IL and Section 307 Row M
STLADOGG wrote:
4 million? he probably makes that money back and more in jerseys, autographs, etc..


Exactly...me and a guy at work were talking before he signed, we both thought 3.5 max.

_________________
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
Image
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 4992
Location: Phi Alpha
theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerber just tweeted: "Now Oshie, Backes, Perron signed for next 4 yrs together, Tarasenko next 3, Steen next 2, Polak next 4, Jackman next 3, Goalies next 2"

It's not the flashiest, highest-scoring core. But everyone of these guys was brought in either through draft or trade. Smart front office moves that put the right pieces in place. Kudos.


This makes me smile. We've shown the league last year that it doesn't have to be two guys scoring 50 and then a drop off to the next highest producer being 10 to be successful in this league. Nothing wrong with scoring by committee. We're deep and we're good and we're (relatively) cheap. Love it.


It's successful in the regular season. Playoffs? Not so much. Someone has to be capable of stepping up when the competition gets stiffer and none of the Blues forward lines did that vs LA. Don't even bring up Stewie's one-game effort which should have been there from Game 1 of the SJ series.


We also played the 2012 playoff version of the L.A. Kings. Just sayin.

And I took the defeat of the Sharks as a huge positive. They had plenty of playoff experience and we simply don't. We needed that this year to grow for the next.

NOW I'll be disappointed not making it to at least the conference finals :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm
Posts: 1096
I'm not an Oshie fan, feel free to hate. But I like how his contract is structured, even though I feel he's abit overpaid; did he work harder due to having a one-year 'make it happen or go away' contract and he wanted to be guranteed big money or because he wants to win. After watching a lot of videos of his play, and seeing his middle-of-the-road stats, I have to agree with everyone: His numbers are very, very deceptive.

Provided he doesn't become an injury case based on past injuries (we seem to attract those abit too frequently), I think this was a solid and good contract that'll do nothing but help us without screwing up our Cap or any cap lowering the league winds up doing.

And I'm not an Oshie fan.

_________________
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gaijin and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group