It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:33 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Posts: 3056
Location: Yorktown, VA
cprice12 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
Ugly ass win, but SUCK IT, DETROIT! :detsucks: :detsucks: :detsucks:


Ugly?
I think they played a damn good defensive game.
They outplayed Detroit. They shut down their offense, kept the shots to the outside and didn't give them many good scoring chances down low...and the handful they did have, Elliott was the man.
They played very well and deserved the win.

Here come the Blues.


Not ugly as in not effective, but ugly as in we weren't playing good puck possession, making pretty tape-to-tape passes, doing creative moves forcing Wings defenders out of position, etc. Look at Porter's goal- it was so ugly it made Mike Ricci better looking. I don't think anyone would describe that as a "pretty" game, aside from the fact that a shutout of Detroit is always a beautiful thing in itself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
gaijin wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
Ugly ass win, but SUCK IT, DETROIT! :detsucks: :detsucks: :detsucks:


Ugly?
I think they played a damn good defensive game.
They outplayed Detroit. They shut down their offense, kept the shots to the outside and didn't give them many good scoring chances down low...and the handful they did have, Elliott was the man.
They played very well and deserved the win.

Here come the Blues.


Not ugly as in not effective, but ugly as in we weren't playing good puck possession, making pretty tape-to-tape passes, doing creative moves forcing Wings defenders out of position, etc. Look at Porter's goal- it was so ugly it made Mike Ricci better looking. I don't think anyone would describe that as a "pretty" game, aside from the fact that a shutout of Detroit is always a beautiful thing in itself.


I dunno. I was impressed with the consistency the Blues had the entire game...well, up until they stopped the aggressive forecheck to sit on the lead midway through the 3rd. But even then, that was the plan. At no point during the game did I feel the Wings were taking the momentum away from us, nor did I get anxious/nervous that Detroit was getting sustained pressure that would eventually lead to a goal.

I thought the Blues passed the puck just fine. I thought they had good puck possession and moved the puck well through the neutral zone and gained the blue line on Detroit all day long. They didn't generate a ton of impressive offensive chances, but Steen did hit the post on a nice move and shot, and and there was a back door pass by Tarasenko to Steen I think, who had his stick held and couldn't get wood on the pass. That was a pretty play down low.

Defensively, they were stellar. Detroit couldn't get much going down low at all, and almost all of their shots came from the outside. The few times they did get a chance down low, they either made a nice play to poke it away, block the shot, or Elliott came up big.

We're not a highlight reel team offensively...especially with Oshie & McDonald out. It's defense first with Hitchcock and you grind out goals at the other end. And I think they did that to perfection against Detroit.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8272
Location: Long Island, NY
Since the trades, they have looked a lot better in all aspects. Maybe Leopold and Bou were just what the doctor ordered. Time will tell, though. Small sample size thus far.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
Wow...the idiocy at LGW is a bit off the charts today.
Everything from a league-wide conspiracy against the Wings, to referee bias and the Wings not getting any calls and how they never get any calls (whatever), to the Blues playing dirty, Porter's goal being cheap, Zetterberg didn't do anything to Perron to warrant a penalty, etc... :lol:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic ... d-wings-0/

I was going to post something to give my point of view and counter their takes...but that's like me being the only guy trying to help when the World Trade Center was attacked. What can one guy do during that mess? So I just walked away.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Offline
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Wildwood, Missouri
cprice12 wrote:
Wow...the idiocy at LGW is a bit off the charts today.
Everything from a league-wide conspiracy against the Wings, to referee bias and the Wings not getting any calls and how they never get any calls (whatever), to the Blues playing dirty, Porter's goal being cheap, Zetterberg didn't do anything to Perron to warrant a penalty, etc... :lol:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic ... d-wings-0/

I was going to post something to give my point of view and counter their takes...but that's like me being the only guy trying to help when the World Trade Center was attacked. What can one guy do during that mess? So I just walked away.


Who cares?

You can find all the same statements made here and on every team discussion board. Plenty of sober Wings fans there and crazies. It is the Internet.

But I could only imagine what STL would be acting like if we were at the end of a 20 year domination of the NHL and saw it crumbled in front of us and a slow, youth rebuild going under way. At least they have a ton of reasons to be thankful and proud.

I will never understand how STL has not rioted in being a '67 team that got beat to the Cup by the Ducks, Canes, Lightning, etc, etc.

_________________
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
Shanahan19 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Wow...the idiocy at LGW is a bit off the charts today.
Everything from a league-wide conspiracy against the Wings, to referee bias and the Wings not getting any calls and how they never get any calls (whatever), to the Blues playing dirty, Porter's goal being cheap, Zetterberg didn't do anything to Perron to warrant a penalty, etc... :lol:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic ... d-wings-0/

I was going to post something to give my point of view and counter their takes...but that's like me being the only guy trying to help when the World Trade Center was attacked. What can one guy do during that mess? So I just walked away.


Who cares?


I do.
It's fun to watch Wings fans suffer meltdowns.

The fact that I even have to explain this...

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:25 pm 
Offline
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Wildwood, Missouri
cprice12 wrote:
Shanahan19 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Wow...the idiocy at LGW is a bit off the charts today.
Everything from a league-wide conspiracy against the Wings, to referee bias and the Wings not getting any calls and how they never get any calls (whatever), to the Blues playing dirty, Porter's goal being cheap, Zetterberg didn't do anything to Perron to warrant a penalty, etc... :lol:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic ... d-wings-0/

I was going to post something to give my point of view and counter their takes...but that's like me being the only guy trying to help when the World Trade Center was attacked. What can one guy do during that mess? So I just walked away.


Who cares?


I do.
It's fun to watch Wings fans suffer meltdowns.

The fact that I even have to explain this...


The fact that we can thank God they are moving so STL can get past this inferiority complex comparison crap is great.

A regular season win vs 20 years of getting our assed kicked. :facepalm:

What strings we grasp to ignore empty rafters.

_________________
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group