Just curious who you all think is the most disappointing Blue this season. We all know Steen is easily the most impressive. The whole first line is doing well. Although I do wish Osh would shoot more and hence score more. I definitely understand why he isn't with Steen so hot. Petro and Bouwmeester are solid. Vladdy Sobotka is playing great with his tenacity and face-offs. Polak has 3 (Frank) goals
. Halak has played well. So who is the most disappointing. Here are my contenders:Derek Roy
- Ok, I have the opposite of a soft spot in my heart for this guy. I was really disappointed that he was our big free-agent signing. I had hoped for one of the big names in the first big rush. When we did sign him after losing out on others, I though Grabovski would be a better deal (caps signed him for a steal), and great on a Russian-speaking line with Tarasenko. So I might be biased here. Roy has some points, 5 G, 6A, but he is a -3 on a team with a great positive goal differential. He isn't making other players better, which is what he was brought in to do. Grabovski on the other hand has 17 points and a +3, while not playing with Ovechkin most of the time, and was signed for a mill less. The only thing keeping Roy off my pick as a winner is that he has had some great chances the last few games. I just wish he would bury more of them and connect with his set-ups. Jaden Schwartz
- He also has a few points, 3g, 7a. However, given how much hype he was given for his performance during the end of last season, I thought he'd be stepping into his own this season. He is also 9th on the team in ice time at over 16 minutes. I also am not seeing the great missed chances from him. Compared to Tarasenko, who has the same points, 6g, 4a, but with less ice time (13 minutes) and many more great plays that don't connect. Still he is a young, so he hopefully just needs more time.Brenden Morrow
- Management hyped him after the signing. I didn't really expect too much. He's played 11 games, missing a few to injury and I believe a few to healthy scratch, and has 3 points. Not good, but he cost a million and was added as depth, so I'm not that surprised or disappointed.Chris Stewart
- Everyone's favorite choice. See the Stewart is a big fat disappointment thread for all the reasons why. He is not my choice though as he is at least doing some things to help the team. His numbers aren't great 3g, 3a, but he is fighting, trying to make plays and screening the goalie. That is something.
And the Winner (or loser) is......Patrik Berglund
- He has the same number of points as Stewart with 1g, 5a. Only one goal though, and that was in the Panthers game where Thomas was giving goals away free with the purchase of a Gatorade. He only has 2 points in the last 13 games. I am not sure that he is doing anything to contribute. I have watched all but two games this year and those 2 I watched extended highlights. It has been a long time since I have seen him doing good work. I decided to post this because tonight was one of the games I watched the highlights, and he was only in there for 2 plays he flubbed. Nobody is talking about his poor play or any of his play, unlike Stewart who is under a microscope. Like Steen Berglund is also in a contract year with a one-year prove yourself deal. He is not proving himself and I wonder if he will be a Blue next year despite being a restricted free agent. They won't sign him to a one year deal because he would be a UFA next year. I doubt he'll sign a long-term deal at the price these numbers are showing him to be worth. So what happens? He still has time to turn it around for sure. At the almost quarter point in the season though, for me, he is by far the most disappointing guy for the Blues this season
. We all knew Stewart was streaky and lazy. I really thought Berglund would have a good year on his prove it deal. He was trying early and not getting the bounces, but then he just disappeared, only showing up to blow a great pass from his linemates now and then.
So what are your thoughts?
But Yea I agree. Stewart and Berg need to go as they are only taking up space on the salary cap. But I expected them to have mediocre seasons. My choice that didn't meat my expectations would be Tarasenko. He hasn't been awful, but I thought he'd be our breakout star. Before the season started, I would have picked Tarasenko to have more goals than Steen. Tarasenko has been completely under the radar this year, under Steen, Backes, Oshie, Shatty, Boume, etc. I would have never guessed that the other "Vladimir" would outplay him (Sobotka). Maybe I just have false hopes in that the Blues could actually draft a forward that ends up like Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Hertl, Tavares, Duchene, Gaborik, Nash, Hall, Sequin, and the list goes on. Our team sucks at drafting. We finally get a chance to draft 1st overall and we pass Toews for Johnson for Goodness sakes. And I really don't want to Blues to suck for one more season to get another chance at it.