It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6719
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Boys, I've been waiting to do this for a long time. Blues hockey is finally back.

Quote:
BLUES (39-12-6) at CANUCKS (27-24-9)

TV: FS-MW, SNET-P

Last 10: St. Louis 7-2-1; Vancouver 2-8-0

Season series: The Vancouver Canucks are going for a three-game sweep of the St. Louis Blues after winning 3-2 in overtime at Scottrade Center on Oct. 25 and 2-1 at home on Jan. 10.

Big story: The teams resume play after the Olympic break in vastly different circumstances. The Blues begin a three-game road trip on top of the Central Division, all but assured of a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and challenging for the Presidents' Trophy. The Canucks start a three-game homestand on the outside looking in at the top eight in the Western Conference, but they should get a boost from the return of top-line center Henrik Sedin.

Team Scope:

Blues: With seven Blues playing in the maximum six games in Sochi, coach Ken Hitchcock may be forced to give some of his stars a break during a three-game road trip.

"It's going to be really interesting to see all of these guys coming back that played in some of the important games over there, how quickly they can mentally turn that off and get refocused for some real important hockey," said Blues associate coach Brad Shaw, who has been running practice while Hitchcock served as an assistant coach for Canada. "That'll be a real tough mental challenge for those guys and we'll have to maybe expect some play that is a little bit haywire at times. Hopefully we'll have enough guys pointed in the right direction."

Shaw said the Blues may have to give their Olympians some additional rest.

"I don't think it's written in stone, but there is an idea that some guys will probably need a break, some may not," he said. "A lot of the guys that went over, a [Alex Pietrangelo] or [Jay Bouwmeester], who average 25 minutes and end up playing a 17 or 18 minutes, might be able to come right back in. It's hard to say."

Canucks: The good news is that although Sedin missed practice this week for personal reasons, coach John Tortorella said he is expected to return to the lineup against the Blues. The bad news is that Tortorella had no update on whether center Ryan Kesler would be available. Kesler played the final three games for the United States in Sochi despite a right hand injury sustained when he blocked a shot in the game against Russia; he had an MRI on Tuesday.

Kesler's absence would be a major loss for a team that's already thin down the middle. He leads NHL forwards in ice time (22:12) and has a key role on both special teams for the Canucks.

"He's one guy you notice more than others because he contributes in so many areas of our team," forward Christopher Higgins told the Vancouver Province. "He plays hard minutes. He would be a tough guy to replace."

Who's hot: Blues forward T.J. Oshie became a household name after his shootout heroics in the United States' preliminary-round win against Russia in Sochi, but he's played well all season. His 46 points are tied with Alexander Steen for the team lead. … Higgins had points in each of Vancouver's last two games, and his 16 goals are second on the team.

Injury report: The Blues are expected to be without defenseman Jordan Leopold (ankle) and forward Vladimir Sobotka (knee). … The Canucks will be without defensemen Christopher Tanev (hand) and Andrew Alberts (concussion), and center Mike Santorelli (shoulder). Forward Alexandre Burrows (hand) and defenseman Yannick Weber (undisclosed) are day-to-day.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:54 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Posts: 3367
Location: Anywhere but here
Am I the only one hoping Stewart is a late scratch?

I would love to see that he doesn't play tonight because of a pending trade, lol.

We really need to get a good game here as we have traditionally not played well against VAN.

Two points, boys! Let's get 'er done!

_________________
Official 2008-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Posts: 2151
Location: St. Louis, MO
Big. Ass. Tittays!!!

Lets go flashchat!! Oh wait it's still broken and no one is caring at all.

_________________
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 am 
Online
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Posts: 3016
Location: Yorktown, VA
Holy crap, it's an NHL game! 2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6719
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
sseagle wrote:
Big. Ass. Tittays!!!

Lets go flashchat!! Oh wait it's still broken and no one is caring at all.


As I posted a week ago in our 'fix this forum' forum. And no one responded to that either. Yipee. It's working!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:50 am 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am
Posts: 629
Halak injures his groin while receiving a lap dance from one of the Sedin sisters last night at a gentlemen's club. Elliot delivers a solid performance, and Jake Allen is called up. Together, they form an unbreakable tandem that carries the Blues all the way to you-know-what-but-I-am-afraid-to-jinx-it-by-actually-saying-it. Blues' US Olympians come out hungry for blood and break some Swedish skulls. Their other Olympians simply have a great game, and so do those who did not travel to Sochi. Blues chase both goalies and break their psyche so bad neither wants to go back in goal, so Burrows is forced to be in goal. He attempts to bite everyone who comes within a foot of the crease and breaks his teeth on Captain America's calf (hey, if stray dogs of Sochi couldn't do it, do you really think you can?) The game ends up in a bench clearing brawl, with Vancouver's fourth line beating up their other three lines for sucking huge hairy balls and being too girly. Blues are long gone by the time the fight is stopped. Torts eats his own necktie.

What? The score? Oh, I dunno... Say 3-1 Blues.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Posts: 2151
Location: St. Louis, MO
I'm voting for comrade

_________________
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9714
Location: Billings, MT
What What?! BLUES HOCKEY TONIGHT!

This makes me happy. LETS WIN BLUES!

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:31 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:18 pm
Posts: 2082
Location: Having a stroke in FlashChat
ComradeT wrote:
Halak injures his groin while receiving a lap dance from one of the Sedin sisters last night at a gentlemen's club. Elliot delivers a solid performance, and Jake Allen is called up. Together, they form an unbreakable tandem that carries the Blues all the way to you-know-what-but-I-am-afraid-to-jinx-it-by-actually-saying-it. Blues' US Olympians come out hungry for blood and break some Swedish skulls. Their other Olympians simply have a great game, and so do those who did not travel to Sochi. Blues chase both goalies and break their psyche so bad neither wants to go back in goal, so Burrows is forced to be in goal. He attempts to bite everyone who comes within a foot of the crease and breaks his teeth on Captain America's calf (hey, if stray dogs of Sochi couldn't do it, do you really think you can?) The game ends up in a bench clearing brawl, with Vancouver's fourth line beating up their other three lines for sucking huge hairy balls and being too girly. Blues are long gone by the time the fight is stopped. Torts eats his own necktie.

What? The score? Oh, I dunno... Say 3-1 Blues.


:lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:51 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8120
Location: Long Island, NY
First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Posts: 2151
Location: St. Louis, MO
glen a richter wrote:
First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.



I got yer tube right here

_________________
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:22 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8120
Location: Long Island, NY
sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.



I got yer tube right here


That tube, is it the KY that you don't need because your wife is disinterested?

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Last edited by glen a richter on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am
Posts: 629
glen a richter wrote:
sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.



I got yer tube right here


That tube, is it the KY that you don't need because you're wife is disinterested?


OH

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Posts: 2151
Location: St. Louis, MO
http://us12.chatzy.com/51458226424291

_________________
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9714
Location: Billings, MT
Ryan Miller doesn't score goals. Just sayin...

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Posts: 3367
Location: Anywhere but here
That actually went better than I expected from a score standpoint. We struggle with those pacific teams something fierce. It does not bode well for a deep run in the playoffs.

Meh, moving on.

_________________
Official 2008-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6719
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
I figured I'd come in here to knee jerking galore. First game back, it's a bummer we lost to a team that hadn't won in 7 games, but time to move on. Big game against Anaheim tomorrow night.

As for the goal scoring thing, the Blues are, I believe, in the top 5 in goals for. They've got scoring, I don't know why people say they don't. We have 6-7 guys that have a double digit goal total if I'm not mistaken.

(Edit: Just checked, we have 7 with at least 10 goals, Roy is knocking on the door at 9).

To continue on that point, the Blues have 196 goals for, the league average is 162. Keep in mind that the Blues have played a couple games less than most teams. Plus, this was the first time the Blues were shutout this season, if I'm not mistaken. The Blues don't need a top level scorer because they have guys all over that can score. Not saying I wouldn't take someone that can score, those are always needed. But to act like the Blues can't score goals isn't accurate in my mind.

(Viper, this wasn't directly towards you, I've seen others mention it here and there this season)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 am 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am
Posts: 629
dmiles2186 wrote:
I figured I'd come in here to knee jerking galore. First game back, it's a bummer we lost to a team that hadn't won in 7 games, but time to move on. Big game against Anaheim tomorrow night.

As for the goal scoring thing, the Blues are, I believe, in the top 5 in goals for. They've got scoring, I don't know why people say they don't. We have 6-7 guys that have a double digit goal total if I'm not mistaken.

(Edit: Just checked, we have 7 with at least 10 goals, Roy is knocking on the door at 9).

To continue on that point, the Blues have 196 goals for, the league average is 162. Keep in mind that the Blues have played a couple games less than most teams. Plus, this was the first time the Blues were shutout this season, if I'm not mistaken. The Blues don't need a top level scorer because they have guys all over that can score. Not saying I wouldn't take someone that can score, those are always needed. But to act like the Blues can't score goals isn't accurate in my mind.

(Viper, this wasn't directly towards you, I've seen others mention it here and there this season)


Blues are #2 in goals per game, behind Blackhawks and ahead of Ducks and Penguins (anyone else feels like they are in a hatchery?), so scoring is definitely not a problem so long as they don't go on 8-0 binges followed by goal droughts (which they don't). Blackhawks were shut out once this season, both Ducks and Penguins more than once. These nights will happen to anyone. And it's not like Canucks played so well. Blues just couldn't hit the net to save their lives. Let's see what happens in Anaheim, the panic button is not going anywhere anyway, so I'll wait to hit it.

Interestingly (or not), Chicago's only shut-out came right before the Olympic break, and the Blues got shut out right after. Both were to bad teams (Hawks lost to Coyotes).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm
Posts: 1033
We played really damn well for not playing for two weeks. Our first game back as a -cohesive- unit and not as a unit split apart and playing for various Olympic teams. It was a good, solid effort. I don't think I would have done the lines like Hitchcock did, but they were interesting and it was good to see how a player reacts to being given a role not normal to them. This alone should have got us shelled, but when it came down to it, we stayed in the fight.

Halak was absolutely amazing. He didn't get rattled and the times he flubbed something, he quickly snapped out of it and played through. The one goal he let in, no one would have stopped. I honestly think he had a chip on his shoulder coming into tonight due to his performance in the Olympics. Whatever it is, I hope that chip stays right where it is.

The Canucks earned this win. I'm ok with that. NEXT GAME.

_________________
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gaijin, Portland Blues, STLADOGG, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group