It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:29 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Posts: 2463
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-
This trade still pisses me off.

_________________
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:08 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9711
Location: Billings, MT
STLADOGG wrote:
This trade still pisses me off.


It won't when Husso starts winning Vezina's on the regular.

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Posts: 2463
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-
ViPeRx007 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
This trade still pisses me off.


It won't when Husso starts winning Vezina's on the regular.

Lol, yeah. That's as good of a guarantee as any I guess.

_________________
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6686
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!


It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.


Did Shattenkirk not playing with a left-handed shot strike you as a significant problem last season? Never really occurred to me. I think the thing Army actually wanted here was the draft pick-and I have no problem with that especially considering the Blues' D prospects. Still leaves me to speculate as to what the front office has planned to address needs...


No, it didn't strike me as a significant problem. But per JR and other sources, the Blues were looking for a compatible lefty shot to play w/ Shattenkirk, that's all I meant.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:11 am 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am
Posts: 619
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!


It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.


Did Shattenkirk not playing with a left-handed shot strike you as a significant problem last season? Never really occurred to me. I think the thing Army actually wanted here was the draft pick-and I have no problem with that especially considering the Blues' D prospects. Still leaves me to speculate as to what the front office has planned to address needs...


No, it didn't strike me as a significant problem. But per JR and other sources, the Blues were looking for a compatible lefty shot to play w/ Shattenkirk, that's all I meant.


Given our meager PP, pairing up right- and left-handed shooting D could be a significant improvement. Much better one-timer opportunities, which were sorely missing from the blue line when the good guys were on the power play.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9711
Location: Billings, MT
ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!


It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.


Did Shattenkirk not playing with a left-handed shot strike you as a significant problem last season? Never really occurred to me. I think the thing Army actually wanted here was the draft pick-and I have no problem with that especially considering the Blues' D prospects. Still leaves me to speculate as to what the front office has planned to address needs...


No, it didn't strike me as a significant problem. But per JR and other sources, the Blues were looking for a compatible lefty shot to play w/ Shattenkirk, that's all I meant.


Given our meager PP, pairing up right- and left-handed shooting D could be a significant improvement. Much better one-timer opportunities, which were sorely missing from the blue line when the good guys were on the power play.


This.

What we lost in toughness with this trade, we make up for with improved puck movement, which should ultimately mean more scoring chances. If this improves our powerplay then I'm all for it. I think it will.

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 am 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:26 pm
Posts: 646
Location: Oude Niedorp, Netherlands
Getting Gunnarsson and Husso for Polak was a very good trade (as long as Gunnarsson's hip heals successfully-which it should). Gunnarsson may not be the classical "crease clearer with a nasty streak), but he has for years played consistently well in his own zone vs. opponents' #1 and #2 lines, and played with poise against hard forechecking. Unlike Polak, he doesn't panic and lose the puck on a turnover, or just dump it off the wall, only for the opponents to skate it right back in. He also can skate the puck away from trouble, and out of the defensive zone, and make the good first pass, starting up the offence. Polak does little of that very well. Playing next to either Shattenkirk OR Pietrangelo, he gives The Blues 4 defencemen who are capable of skating the puck out of trouble, leading the rush, and starting the offence off quickly, before defenders can get into position. He eats up a LOT of minutes without over-exposing a defensive weakness (unlike Polak, with his susceptibility to a hard forecheck. I like this trade VERY much even up. Getting a potential quality NHL starting goalie (Husso) out of it, as well, makes it a great trade.

I DO, however, agree that The Blues need to add toughness. But, I don't see this trade hurting Cole's chances for minutes. He's GOT to nail down full time on the 3rd shift, and hope, in the future, to win some PK time.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:06 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 am
Posts: 538
Understood about the lefthanded shot. Personally I don't feel like it'll make much difference but I hope I'm wrong. I just think this team needs to find some physicality on defense quick. Gunnarson strikes me as another in the Petro-Boumeester-Shattenkirk mold. Being a goalie myself, I appreciate those guys but I really appreciate defensemen who can clear the crease of a big body. I don't see that on the current roster.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:36 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:43 am
Posts: 523
ecbm wrote:
Understood about the lefthanded shot. Personally I don't feel like it'll make much difference but I hope I'm wrong. I just think this team needs to find some physicality on defense quick. Gunnarson strikes me as another in the Petro-Boumeester-Shattenkirk mold. Being a goalie myself, I appreciate those guys but I really appreciate defensemen who can clear the crease of a big body. I don't see that on the current roster.


^^^This^^^

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group