It is currently Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:32 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9714
Location: Billings, MT
dmiles2186 wrote:
I'm okay with the Elliott/Allen combo. More unproven goalies have won the Stanley Cup compared to those too. So the optimistic side says it can happen. But, I can never get over Elliott's really bad years in Ottawa and Colorado. I just feel like he's always got that lurking, like it could overtake him and he could lapse into that goalie again. I'm not saying it will happen, mind you. I know he's played great hockey for us. And there are plenty of goalies who shake off bad years in their careers to become good or even great goalies. I just am always worried about that.

But I'd rather go this route because, as I've stated before, it gives Allen a chance to grow in a backup role without being 'the guy.' And when he's ready to take over, he will.


You gotta fall before you can rise. I tend to trust Elliott a bit more because of his "bad years". He's gone through adversity yet is still standing there. He paid his dues. That's character.

That doesn't mean he's going to be lights out forever, but it does tell me that if his game falters, he's more apt to bounce back.

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:12 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6717
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
ViPeRx007 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
I'm okay with the Elliott/Allen combo. More unproven goalies have won the Stanley Cup compared to those too. So the optimistic side says it can happen. But, I can never get over Elliott's really bad years in Ottawa and Colorado. I just feel like he's always got that lurking, like it could overtake him and he could lapse into that goalie again. I'm not saying it will happen, mind you. I know he's played great hockey for us. And there are plenty of goalies who shake off bad years in their careers to become good or even great goalies. I just am always worried about that.

But I'd rather go this route because, as I've stated before, it gives Allen a chance to grow in a backup role without being 'the guy.' And when he's ready to take over, he will.


You gotta fall before you can rise. I tend to trust Elliott a bit more because of his "bad years". He's gone through adversity yet is still standing there. He paid his dues. That's character.

That doesn't mean he's going to be lights out forever, but it does tell me that if his game falters, he's more apt to bounce back.


That's a good point on overcoming what he has. And you can clearly tell, the group in front of him loves playing for him. I know we discussed in a different thread, but after Ells re-signed, some of the quotes from the other guys on the team clearly showed how much they all respected him for how hard he works. I'm not saying I'm right for holding those years over his head, he's put up spectacular numbers for us. And he's technically in his prime right now. It's easy to forget that. I just always worry, but he keeps proving me wrong.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:00 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Looking back on it should we have kept 6'7" Bishop?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:36 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6717
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Looking back on it should we have kept 6'7" Bishop?


No, hindsight is always going to change your perception. At the time, he couldn't crack the lineup behind Halak and Elliott. Remember, when we signed Elliott, it was a two way deal and we went to camp with Halak as our #1 and Bishop and Elliott left to battle it out for #2. Elliott won. Elliott was always the better of the two and even when Bishop did get called up, he didn't perform all that well. Mind you, he didn't play consistently while here, but still, he never had that one game that screamed he was ready to make the jump. At the time when we traded him, I thought we got a steal by getting a 2nd round pick for him. Even in Ottawa, his play was up and down. I'm happy for him down in Tampa, but I just don't think he fit here. We made the right choice and I'll stick with that even if he goes on to win a Vezina or two. I'm always going to pull for him.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:44 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
A 6'7" goalie who can move is almost unheard of so in that sense I wish we didn't let him go. Wouldn't Bishop and Allen be just as good or better than Elliot and Allen?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:54 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6717
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
A 6'7" goalie who can move is almost unheard of so in that sense I wish we didn't let him go. Wouldn't Bishop and Allen be just as good or better than Elliot and Allen?


Sure, they would. But at the time of the Bishop trade, would you have predicted he'd turn out as good as he did? His numbers with us were 4-5-1, .896, 2.83. Not terrible, not great.

His numbers in Peoria were up and down. Yeah, he had size, but at the time, he just couldn't crack the lineup. And when Allen was drafted in '08, he was tagged as the 'goalie of the future,' so Bishop was the 4th wheel in our goaltending crew at the time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:52 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20428
Location: Center Ice
APOD wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
I can never get over Elliott's really bad years in Ottawa and Colorado. I just feel like he's always got that lurking, like it could overtake him and he could lapse into that goalie again.


He has only really had 2 bad years 2010-11(last year in Ottawa/First and last in Colorado) and 2012-2013 the lock out season I honestly think alot of goalies had issues that year no one expected a season so training was lax.


He didn't have a bad '12-'13 season. He had like 6 bad games early in the year.
People forget how that season actually went and just focus on those few games early in the year for some reason.

And his "bad years" in Ottawa and Colorado were early in his career.
He has played in the NHL for 6 seasons (I don't count the one game he played in 07-08) and over the last three years of his career, Elliott has averaged a .927 Save% and a 1.86 GAA. That's half of his career...he's 29 years old...so he should be entering his prime right now. But yeah, let's continue to focus on the first three years of his NHL career when he was younger and still learning/getting better.

People think that Allen played out of this world in 2012-2013. He didn't.
People think Elliott sucked that season. He didn't.
Elliott finished with a better GAA and a better Save% than Allen that year (but people will say Allen was outstanding and Elliott was horrible). If you toss out those 5 or 6 games early in the year, Elliott would have finished with the best numbers in the NHL.

And in the playoffs in '12-'13, he had a 1.90 GAA vs. the Kings.
In those 6 games, he allowed 1 goal three times and 2 goals twice and 4 goals once. He was certainly more than good enough to win that series.
We all know what the real problem was, and it was finally, hopefully, addressed this offeason.

People don't seem to have the confidence in Elliott apparently because of a 6 game stretch he had two years ago to start the season coming off of a lockout.
I don't get that at all. Why not focus on what he has done over the 2nd half of his career instead of the first half? I mean, that is how he is playing right now.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:08 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 4868
Location: Phi Alpha
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Strong start by Armstrong. All he needs to do is finish his remaining tasks on time and he gets an "A"

obvious positives
cost effectively addressed goaltending situation
signed badly needed scoring line center
kept draft picks and scored big on first 2 picks with badly needed center prospects

ancillary positives
restored forward depth adding 2 probable top 6 forwards and an additional top 12 forward without subtracting from our top 9 or near NHL ready forward prospects (Jaskin, Rattie)
perhaps heisted a dman from Toronto while adding an additional pick
maybe showing an interest in advanced metrics? of the 7 Blues regulars with goal for percentage below 50 last season, 3 are gone and the rest are seemingly moving down the depth chart. Both Stastny and Gunarsson were among the best possession players on their teams. Blues quickly lost interest in Ott (who sucks at hockey) after hiring Corsi - coincidence?
satisfied need to acquire former Dallas Star player who is washed up and can't play hockey anymore by signing one as a coach.

left to do
sign Schwartz and Sobotka


Maybe a scary thought here... But with the abundance at center, could it be possible that Boat is surplus to requirements?
No


This. Sobotka is my man crush. Guy never takes a shift off, hits hard, has some talent to chip in offensively from time to time... any team in this league is lucky to have him and I'd be pissed if we let him walk.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:55 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am
Posts: 629
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Strong start by Armstrong. All he needs to do is finish his remaining tasks on time and he gets an "A"

obvious positives
cost effectively addressed goaltending situation
signed badly needed scoring line center
kept draft picks and scored big on first 2 picks with badly needed center prospects

ancillary positives
restored forward depth adding 2 probable top 6 forwards and an additional top 12 forward without subtracting from our top 9 or near NHL ready forward prospects (Jaskin, Rattie)
perhaps heisted a dman from Toronto while adding an additional pick
maybe showing an interest in advanced metrics? of the 7 Blues regulars with goal for percentage below 50 last season, 3 are gone and the rest are seemingly moving down the depth chart. Both Stastny and Gunarsson were among the best possession players on their teams. Blues quickly lost interest in Ott (who sucks at hockey) after hiring Corsi - coincidence?
satisfied need to acquire former Dallas Star player who is washed up and can't play hockey anymore by signing one as a coach.

left to do
sign Schwartz and Sobotka


Maybe a scary thought here... But with the abundance at center, could it be possible that Boat is surplus to requirements?
No


This. Sobotka is my man crush. Guy never takes a shift off, hits hard, has some talent to chip in offensively from time to time... any team in this league is lucky to have him and I'd be pissed if we let him walk.


Guys, I share your sentiment completely, so I wasn't asking how you felt about it. I was asking if you think the management may make him part of a move. Of course the question is where and for what. We may be just stacking up at center, who knows, but even counting Backes and Berglund as wings, we now have 5 centers in Stastny, Lehtera, Sobotka and Lidstrom and Lapierre. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the master plan is. Cause I believe there's a master plan.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6717
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
ComradeT wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Strong start by Armstrong. All he needs to do is finish his remaining tasks on time and he gets an "A"

obvious positives
cost effectively addressed goaltending situation
signed badly needed scoring line center
kept draft picks and scored big on first 2 picks with badly needed center prospects

ancillary positives
restored forward depth adding 2 probable top 6 forwards and an additional top 12 forward without subtracting from our top 9 or near NHL ready forward prospects (Jaskin, Rattie)
perhaps heisted a dman from Toronto while adding an additional pick
maybe showing an interest in advanced metrics? of the 7 Blues regulars with goal for percentage below 50 last season, 3 are gone and the rest are seemingly moving down the depth chart. Both Stastny and Gunarsson were among the best possession players on their teams. Blues quickly lost interest in Ott (who sucks at hockey) after hiring Corsi - coincidence?
satisfied need to acquire former Dallas Star player who is washed up and can't play hockey anymore by signing one as a coach.

left to do
sign Schwartz and Sobotka


Maybe a scary thought here... But with the abundance at center, could it be possible that Boat is surplus to requirements?
No


This. Sobotka is my man crush. Guy never takes a shift off, hits hard, has some talent to chip in offensively from time to time... any team in this league is lucky to have him and I'd be pissed if we let him walk.


Guys, I share your sentiment completely, so I wasn't asking how you felt about it. I was asking if you think the management may make him part of a move. Of course the question is where and for what. We may be just stacking up at center, who knows, but even counting Backes and Berglund as wings, we now have 5 centers in Stastny, Lehtera, Sobotka and Lidstrom and Lapierre. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the master plan is. Cause I believe there's a master plan.


I don't think he'll be a part of a move. Compare him to Berglund. Boat had 9 g, 24 a for 33 points in 61 games. In 78 games, Berglund had 14 g, 18 a for 32 points. I'm not saying it's that cut and dry, but I think management knows what an asset Boat is to our team. As you guys have mentioned, the dude doesn't quit. Personally, I consider him one of our 2 or 3 better overall players of the last 2 seasons. If we were to trade him, it would gut me. But I just don't think it will happen.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:51 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Posts: 2472
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-
ComradeT wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Strong start by Armstrong. All he needs to do is finish his remaining tasks on time and he gets an "A"

obvious positives
cost effectively addressed goaltending situation
signed badly needed scoring line center
kept draft picks and scored big on first 2 picks with badly needed center prospects

ancillary positives
restored forward depth adding 2 probable top 6 forwards and an additional top 12 forward without subtracting from our top 9 or near NHL ready forward prospects (Jaskin, Rattie)
perhaps heisted a dman from Toronto while adding an additional pick
maybe showing an interest in advanced metrics? of the 7 Blues regulars with goal for percentage below 50 last season, 3 are gone and the rest are seemingly moving down the depth chart. Both Stastny and Gunarsson were among the best possession players on their teams. Blues quickly lost interest in Ott (who sucks at hockey) after hiring Corsi - coincidence?
satisfied need to acquire former Dallas Star player who is washed up and can't play hockey anymore by signing one as a coach.

left to do
sign Schwartz and Sobotka


Maybe a scary thought here... But with the abundance at center, could it be possible that Boat is surplus to requirements?
No


This. Sobotka is my man crush. Guy never takes a shift off, hits hard, has some talent to chip in offensively from time to time... any team in this league is lucky to have him and I'd be pissed if we let him walk.


Guys, I share your sentiment completely, so I wasn't asking how you felt about it. I was asking if you think the management may make him part of a move. Of course the question is where and for what. We may be just stacking up at center, who knows, but even counting Backes and Berglund as wings, we now have 5 centers in Stastny, Lehtera, Sobotka and Lidstrom and Lapierre. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the master plan is. Cause I believe there's a master plan.

I think he is untouchable only because of his game compared to his contract. You simply can't afford to give him away.

_________________
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:07 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3131
STLADOGG wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Strong start by Armstrong. All he needs to do is finish his remaining tasks on time and he gets an "A"

obvious positives
cost effectively addressed goaltending situation
signed badly needed scoring line center
kept draft picks and scored big on first 2 picks with badly needed center prospects

ancillary positives
restored forward depth adding 2 probable top 6 forwards and an additional top 12 forward without subtracting from our top 9 or near NHL ready forward prospects (Jaskin, Rattie)
perhaps heisted a dman from Toronto while adding an additional pick
maybe showing an interest in advanced metrics? of the 7 Blues regulars with goal for percentage below 50 last season, 3 are gone and the rest are seemingly moving down the depth chart. Both Stastny and Gunarsson were among the best possession players on their teams. Blues quickly lost interest in Ott (who sucks at hockey) after hiring Corsi - coincidence?
satisfied need to acquire former Dallas Star player who is washed up and can't play hockey anymore by signing one as a coach.

left to do
sign Schwartz and Sobotka


Maybe a scary thought here... But with the abundance at center, could it be possible that Boat is surplus to requirements?
No


This. Sobotka is my man crush. Guy never takes a shift off, hits hard, has some talent to chip in offensively from time to time... any team in this league is lucky to have him and I'd be pissed if we let him walk.


Guys, I share your sentiment completely, so I wasn't asking how you felt about it. I was asking if you think the management may make him part of a move. Of course the question is where and for what. We may be just stacking up at center, who knows, but even counting Backes and Berglund as wings, we now have 5 centers in Stastny, Lehtera, Sobotka and Lidstrom and Lapierre. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the master plan is. Cause I believe there's a master plan.

I think he is untouchable only because of his game compared to his contract. You simply can't afford to give him away.


Agreed. While his production could technically be replaced, it would be hard to do so far what we're paying him. He made $1.4 mil last year. He'll get a raise, but I'm sure it will still be below his actual value to the team.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:45 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:02 am
Posts: 7323
Location: In Hiding
cardsfan04 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Maybe a scary thought here... But with the abundance at center, could it be possible that Boat is surplus to requirements?
No


This. Sobotka is my man crush. Guy never takes a shift off, hits hard, has some talent to chip in offensively from time to time... any team in this league is lucky to have him and I'd be pissed if we let him walk.


Guys, I share your sentiment completely, so I wasn't asking how you felt about it. I was asking if you think the management may make him part of a move. Of course the question is where and for what. We may be just stacking up at center, who knows, but even counting Backes and Berglund as wings, we now have 5 centers in Stastny, Lehtera, Sobotka and Lidstrom and Lapierre. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the master plan is. Cause I believe there's a master plan.

I think he is untouchable only because of his game compared to his contract. You simply can't afford to give him away.


Agreed. While his production could technically be replaced, it would be hard to do so far what we're paying him. He made $1.4 mil last year. He'll get a raise, but I'm sure it will still be below his actual value to the team.


He led the league in Face-off %. He plays like he's 6'5" and he can play left wing if needed. He trains in MMA and that's why he hits so explosive. He has the heart the size of Backes's head and leaves every bit of his soul on the ice every game. I think he's untouchable and deserves a good raise.

_________________
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 am 
Offline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 350
You guys got the coveted free agent your GM wanted so I think one would have to give an 'A' for accomplishing the off season goals. It wasn't like this team needed an overhaul. The only question is your goaltending now - which is the same question mark for our team as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Kerfuffle wrote:
You guys got the coveted free agent your GM wanted so I think one would have to give an 'A' for accomplishing the off season goals. It wasn't like this team needed an overhaul. The only question is your goaltending now - which is the same question mark for our team as well.


You think Crow is a question mark? He won 1 Cup and got to another conference final. Blues fans would KILL for that!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am 
Offline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 350
Crow has been inconsistent - he personally lost the 2012 playoffs for us by allowing 2 OT goals in back-to-back games in which the Coyotes just skated down the ice and skated the puck through him without a shot. He redeemed himself in 2013 with a great playoffs but in 2014 he returned to his 2012 form. He needs to be a lot better - especially for the money we are paying him.


Last edited by Kerfuffle on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20428
Location: Center Ice
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
You guys got the coveted free agent your GM wanted so I think one would have to give an 'A' for accomplishing the off season goals. It wasn't like this team needed an overhaul. The only question is your goaltending now - which is the same question mark for our team as well.


You think Crow is a question mark? He won 1 Cup and got to another conference final. Blues fans would KILL for that!


You obviously don't watch many Hawks games.
Crawford is inconsistent. He can have great stretches and bad stretches.
But with the team the Hawks have in front of their goalie, they could win with a number of guys back there. I think if you put Crawford on an average team, his numbers will suffer greatly.

I'd rather have Elliott.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9714
Location: Billings, MT
cprice12 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
You guys got the coveted free agent your GM wanted so I think one would have to give an 'A' for accomplishing the off season goals. It wasn't like this team needed an overhaul. The only question is your goaltending now - which is the same question mark for our team as well.


You think Crow is a question mark? He won 1 Cup and got to another conference final. Blues fans would KILL for that!


You obviously don't watch many Hawks games.
Crawford is inconsistent. He can have great stretches and bad stretches.
But with the team the Hawks have in front of their goalie, they could win with a number of guys back there. I think if you put Crawford on an average team, his numbers will suffer greatly.

I'd rather have Elliott.


I'd be willing to bet if you put Crawford on our team the past 3 seasons we'd still have 0 cups. Goaltending hasn't been our issue. I feel like a broken record...

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:35 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 4868
Location: Phi Alpha
ViPeRx007 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
You guys got the coveted free agent your GM wanted so I think one would have to give an 'A' for accomplishing the off season goals. It wasn't like this team needed an overhaul. The only question is your goaltending now - which is the same question mark for our team as well.


You think Crow is a question mark? He won 1 Cup and got to another conference final. Blues fans would KILL for that!


You obviously don't watch many Hawks games.
Crawford is inconsistent. He can have great stretches and bad stretches.
But with the team the Hawks have in front of their goalie, they could win with a number of guys back there. I think if you put Crawford on an average team, his numbers will suffer greatly.

I'd rather have Elliott.


I'd be willing to bet if you put Crawford on our team the past 3 seasons we'd still have 0 cups. Goaltending hasn't been our issue. I feel like a broken record...


Don't need to look any further than the previous two champions, the Hawks and Kings. Neither one had lights out goaltending and went on to win cups. Miller wasn't THE reason we lost in the playoffs last year. Quick wasn't THE reason the Kings won. As long as Elliott/Allen are decently solid goaltending is not going to be the reason this team doesn't go deep into the playoffs.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:59 pm 
Offline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 350
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Don't need to look any further than the previous two champions, the Hawks and Kings. Neither one had lights out goaltending and went on to win cups. Miller wasn't THE reason we lost in the playoffs last year. Quick wasn't THE reason the Kings won. As long as Elliott/Allen are decently solid goaltending is not going to be the reason this team doesn't go deep into the playoffs.


I agree. Both Niemi and Crawford were very good for us in 2010 and 2013 but neither was great nor elite. They were basically just 'good enough' and we won with the team around them. I would say however that Quick was the sole reason the Kings won in 2012 with his .946 SVP. Take any team in the league and put a goalie in there with that kind of performance and they will likely win the cup. The Kings cup this year was more of a team effort though and not decided by Quick alone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], flyingnote38, gaijin, Google [Bot], Nyghtewynd, Oaklandblue, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group