It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Been hearing Mikkola, Thompson and Walman all looked very good today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 pm 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Walman seems to be the consensus standout of the day and ahead of the other D in that camp. He should be, though, as he's a little older/seasoned than the other kids. Looking forward to him vs Dunn in training camp.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

WaukeeBlues wrote:
theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Let's not pull a Chicago Bears please. Take the players.

Don't you mean not pull a New Orleans Saints, Mike Ditka action.

I admit ignorance to the Saints reference haha.

I meant more the "HEY! Let's put together a package of 5 picks and 2 players to move up two spots!!" </exaggeration>

Didn't know the Bears made a stupid deal this season, since I tuned out the NFL and their blatant favoritism in officiating - and I don't have a team, so it's easier to see/ignore/not give a darn about.

The Saints reference - Ditka as the Saints head coach/GM in 1999 traded all of the Saints 1999 picks to draft Ricky Williams @ #5. (8 picks, including 2 1sts, to move from #12 to #5). Moron!

Redskins got the picks and Daniel Snyder as a new owner/moron traded 5 picks for Champ Bailey and 2 more for Derek Smith.

Enough side talk.

So players who spent a full season in AHL aren't considered prospects and don't participate in prospect camp? Seems odd.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:34 am 
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

I hadn't realized how far Tommy Vannelli had fallen. :( We had high hopes for him as a good offensive defenseman, but he was in the ECHL all last season putting up only 1 goal and 19 points in 46 games. Sad.

“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Between the defensive depth, aside from Vannelli, and the age of said depth, I'm not upset about him not panning out. I'm more than confident in Walman, Schmaltz, Dunn, obviously Parayko, Edmundson and Pie being the top 6 for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

glen a richter wrote:
Between the defensive depth, aside from Vannelli, and the age of said depth, I'm not upset about him not panning out. I'm more than confident in Walman, Schmaltz, Dunn, obviously Parayko, Edmundson and Pie being the top 6 for a long time.

Meh. He was a 47th overall. Hard to have really high hopes at that draft position anyway. Very few players below him have panned out thus far. It's also "only" been four seasons since the draft and some players take longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Read an article I saw posted on the twittersphere yesterday about this guys opinion of the top 10 Blues prospects. I was skeptical after reading his opinion that Dunn is a few years off, but he lost all credibility when I got to his take on Husso. First, he thinks Copley is still in the organization and then he suggested that Husso would either compete to back-up Allen this year (nonsense) or be traded because of the depth (Binnington and, evidently, Copley) in front of him. When he called Oscar Sundqvist the #1 prospect, that was the last straw.

I'm most interested in this years fate of Jordan Kyrou. Namely, will he play another full season at Sarnia and then go to the AHL at the end like he did this year or will he play a full season at Sarnia and then go to the NHL? He'll be 20 in May, if injuries or ineffectiveness force some decisions towards the end of the season, he could be a nice addition heading hopefully into the playoffs.

On the D front, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this... the top 6 seems obvious to me, with Bortuzzo coming in at #6. What exactly is the role of Schmaltz and Dunn? I would expect they replace Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson eventually but it just blows my mind that we have them both under contract for two more seasons. How long do they plan on waiting to dump their asses and bring in the kids? That's 8.3 million in salary between the two of them. Fabbri and Edmundson are both RFA after this season and obviously they won't eat up that entire 8.3 million, but shedding one or both contracts can open up some money heading into the 2018 FA class which may include John Tavares and will most definitely include Paul Stastny. The salary difference between Stastny's 7 million cap hit right now and Tavares' expected 10 million cap hit on the open market isn't that wacky if you get Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson off the roster.

I say see how things are looking in Brooklyn around mid-season. If it looks like the Isles are in disarray, trade Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson for whatever they can get you, bring in Schmaltz and Dunn for top 6. After Sarnia is done, get Kyrou in right away, resign Fabbri and Edmundson before the season is over and make it absolutely obvious the team is dedicated to winning. Then forget Stastny and make a pitch to Tavares.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Jordan Kyrou looked great at the World Jr Summer Showcase. Wish he would have gotten more 5-on-5 play. Was often mentioned by the announcers as the best player on the ice for Team Canada in this tournament. At one point, Craig Button stated in a few years folks are going to ask why Jordan Kyrou wasn't a first round draft pick. What's nice about Kyrou - right-handed shot...

Robert Thomas looked meh... but he was THE youngest players for Team Canada this summer. Probably won't be on their official World Jr team, which will be loaded with 19 year olds. Thomas is also a right-shooter

Tanner Kaspick looked good, bad, in control, out of control... you name it, he showed it both good and bad.

If these prospects develop, the Blues might finally have more balance in their forwards in terms of right vs left shooters in a couple of years, if not sooner. Right now, the forward roster is almost all left shooters, with the only righties being the 4th liners - Brodziak, Thorburn, Bennett, and Sundqvist. This is part of why the Blues power play was so inconsistent this past season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

I can't wait to see Kyrou in the NHL. Dude seems to have it all together based on everything I've seen and read about him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion