It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

gaijin wrote:
Flames now with a 10-game win streak, beating the Pens in the shootout. They are now 2nd in the Pacific Division. :aaaa:

Can they keep it up though is the question. If they do, hate to be the team to meet them in the playoffs; they have it all together and want to win. Backlund is on record saying this is the finest Flames team he's ever played on and they are playing like it.

Time will tell.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:51 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Oaklandblue wrote:
theohall wrote:
And the Lightning won again, putting them one point behind Toronto and tied with the Islanders who fell flat on their face in their return home against the Hurricanes.

I have to compliment both the Coyotes and Hurricanes. Even though both are out of the playoffs, they don't play like they are out of the playoffs. Can't say the same for the Avalanche.

Blues can't overlook the Arizona games and the Carolina game.

Seriously. Both of those teams are downright Spoilers this season. Have to take them very seriously if you're a bubble team cause they'll pop it on you.

Which would be exactly like the Blues to blow much-needed points against non-playoff teams...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:01 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

And the Kings lose in 11 round shootout to the Coyotes. I know, LA still got the loser point, but they didn't get the 2nd one thanks to the Coyotes not rolling over. Those 3 games aren't going to be as easy as some might think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:09 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Jack Eichel is trying to get traded to the Canadiens channeling is inner Marc Bergevin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:28 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
And the Lightning won again, putting them one point behind Toronto and tied with the Islanders who fell flat on their face in their return home against the Hurricanes.

I have to compliment both the Coyotes and Hurricanes. Even though both are out of the playoffs, they don't play like they are out of the playoffs. Can't say the same for the Avalanche.

Blues can't overlook the Arizona games and the Carolina game.

I was actually just about to post something very similar to this. The Avs give the appearance they couldn't give less of a sh*T (with some exceptions. Some of their kids are still playing their butts off, but guys like Duchene are just coasting) yet the Hurricanes and 'Yotes are still winning hockey games.

1) Avs are finishing dead last no matter what so you're not going to get that top percentage chance at the lottery anyway.
2) With Vegas in the mix it messes up the odds for everyone else anyway, making the difference from standings finish even less than the already small amount it was.

So why not go out and win some games? OH NO we might finish with a 1-4% less chance to win the lottery and get a top 3 pick!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:35 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Hey would you look at that: TSN echoing my sentiments:

Addition of Golden Knights curbs appeal of tanking

TSN wrote:
The New Jersey Devils are owned by Joshua Harris, the same Joshua Harris who owns the Philadelphia 76ers – the basketball franchise that placed such an emphasis on losing that it required NBA intervention to break out of tank mode.

Despite that, Devils general manager Ray Shero swears his team isn’t tanking. It has just been an ugly run in New Jersey.

“It’s important for us to continue to be a competitive hockey team,” Shero said last week. “It’s the evolution of this hockey team. We want both competitive hockey players and people working for us. That’s the direction we have to go.

“We have some talented players coming, but we need more.”

The Devils happen to be plummeting in the standings at the best possible time, dropping 10 straight games (0-8-2) since Feb. 19. New Jersey has been shut out three times in that span, outscored by a 33-19 margin, and dropped back-to-back games last weekend to Arizona and Colorado – the only two teams below them in the standings.

As a result, the Devils have slid from 22nd to 28th place – more than doubling their odds of landing the No. 1 overall pick in April’s draft lottery from 4.5 per cent to 10.3 per cent.

The 2017 NHL Draft Lottery will take place on April 29.

The one problem for the Devils - or any other team interested in improving their odds – is that tanking has been slightly disincentivized this year with the addition of the Vegas Golden Knights.

The Golden Knights are guaranteed lottery odds equal to the 28th-place finisher in the standings, decreasing the probability for the No. 1 pick for every non-playoff team, including the team that finishes last.

Last spring, the Toronto Maple Leafs had a 20 per cent shot at Auston Matthews by virtue of their 30th-place finish.

This year, the Colorado Avalanche – who are barely on track to break 50 points with one of the worst regular seasons in the last 20 years – would have a 17.9 per cent shot at No. 1 overall, according to calculations from HockeyViz.com.

Most of the other teams will experience a one per cent drop in odds.

The fact that Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier – the two players battling it out to be No. 1 – aren’t expected to make the same immediate impact as Matthews has also kept teams focused on closing out the season in a winning fashion.

Outside of the Panthers, who are falling out of the playoff race with an 0-4-1 run since March 1, only the Detroit Red Wings, with one win in six games, have struggled as much as the Devils.

New Jersey sold off
and at the deadline; Detroit traded away , and

. Even if the odds aren’t appreciably increasing for No. 1 overall, the Devils and Wings have a combined 21 picks in this year’s draft to try and better position themselves.

Other teams around New Jersey and Detroit have kept winning. The Canucks, Hurricanes and Sabres have all earned at least five points in their last six games.

Piling up the wins now has only increased the misery in Vancouver, Carolina, Buffalo, Winnipeg and Philadelphia.

According to HockeyViz.com, the Flyers (86 per cent), Panthers (85 per cent), Hurricanes (82 per cent), Sabres (78 per cent), Jets (74 per cent) and Canucks (67 per cent) have the best chance to both miss the playoffs and not pick in the Top 5 of June’s draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:49 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

No chance Bettman lets his newest pet project not win the lottery. Vegas needs a marquis player and Nolan Patrick is as close as they'll get. Bet he wishes they joined the league last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:11 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

glen a richter wrote:
No chance Bettman lets his newest pet project not win the lottery. Vegas needs a marquis player and Nolan Patrick is as close as they'll get. Bet he wishes they joined the league last year.

If Bettman had control of the lottery stick there's no way in f**king hell he would've allowed Edmonton to win the lottery 9 times in 10 years or whatever the heck it was. Pretty sure the small market Winnipeg's and Edmonton's of the world are the bane of his existence.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I didn't realize the Golden Knights went into the lottery. I just figured they'd be the top pick and the lottery would start for pick 2. I think that's the way I would prefer it. Give them a chance to draft a star to start their franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

The league didn't want to just hand 1 of the top 2 draft picks to Vegas given the latitude they already with the expansion draft. Giving them 1 of the top 2 would be punishing the team's that also need help unfairly. So... 28th finish lottery odds seems reasonable. Unfortunate for Vegas that this draft class is very weak. Were I McPhee, I'm getting BPAs in expansion draft, going after some UFAs for leadership, and using those picks to try and parlay more for the 2018 draft. But, he'll probably do something completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

cardsfan04 wrote:
I didn't realize the Golden Knights went into the lottery. I just figured they'd be the top pick and the lottery would start for pick 2. I think that's the way I would prefer it. Give them a chance to draft a star to start their franchise.

They do. A 10.321% chance 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
The league didn't want to just hand 1 of the top 2 draft picks to Vegas given the latitude they already with the expansion draft. Giving them 1 of the top 2 would be punishing the team's that also need help unfairly. So... 28th finish lottery odds seems reasonable. Unfortunate for Vegas that this draft class is very weak. Were I McPhee, I'm getting BPAs in expansion draft, going after some UFAs for leadership, and using those picks to try and parlay more for the 2018 draft. But, he'll probably do something completely different.

I'm sure he'll find a Brian Gionta-esque player wanting to play in Vegas for FAR more than he'd get elsewhere, maybe someone who's already won a cup, getting vastly overpaid for 3-4 years, wear the "C" play some hockey in the entertainment capital of the world...

Oh yea. I have SO much trouble seeing that happening </sarcasm> :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:26 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Elliotte Friedman wrote:
1. Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

That could be very interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:55 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

theohall wrote:
Elliotte Friedman wrote:
1. Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

That could be very interesting.

With some trades for their expansion draft players, Vegas could end up with a 60-man roster. :lol:

Also interesting- the Golden Knights' GM has the initials GM. Mind blown.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:06 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

They do. A 10.321% chance 8) :wink:

LOL, touche

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

TJ Oshie now with 30 goals this season. Way to perform in a contract year, TJ! :okman:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:19 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

gaijin wrote:
TJ Oshie now with 30 goals this season. Way to perform in a contract year, TJ! :okman:

And yet his point total is 50. He normally finishes between 50 and 60 points when getting a full season in, so while is goals are up, his assists are down and he's likely going to finish with his normal season point total. He's basically picked up the goals Ovechkin is missing this season while Ovechkin's assists are up - the most assists Ovie's had since the 2010-11 season.

The Caps balanced the scoring more on their top line, which might seriously help them in the playoffs if they can maintain playing that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
gaijin wrote:

And yet his point total is 50. He normally finishes between 50 and 60 points when getting a full season in, so while is goals are up, his assists are down and he's likely going to finish with his normal season point total. He's basically picked up the goals Ovechkin is missing this season while Ovechkin's assists are up - the most assists Ovie's had since the 2010-11 season.

The Caps balanced the scoring more on their top line, which might seriously help them in the playoffs if they can maintain playing that way.

That top line is downright scary good at times. Caps need to get the cup this year because Oshie probably is gone via UFA. He's making $4.5 right now and now with him being able to say he's a 30 goal scorer (linemates notwithstanding) I have no difficulty seeing a team pay $6+ a year for him for a 6+ year deal. With the several midlevel guys the Caps have coming due on RFA and UFA deals I don't see them being able to re-sign him.

Though if you're Oshie, I'm sure you're having a hell of a good time playing with two of the best players on the planet. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

On the expansion draft: I think it's going to be fascinating. I also think that Vegas is going to be MUCH more competitive, and sooner, than virtually any other expansion team has.

Think about it: the NHL added 9 teams in 10 years from 90/91 to 00/01. You had the group of 6 including the Blues all at once. WHA carry over's basically don't count as expansion. And the number of players involved in hockey has never been better.

Vegas is going to have a bigger and better pool of players to pick from than virtually any other expansion team in history.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

In terms of recent history, Florida is the standard bearer for success out of the gate. If I remember, their first 2 seasons they missed the playoffs by a point each season, then the 3rd year was their magical run, en route to being steamrolled by Colorado in the finals.

I think the timeline for Vegas will be similar. Competitive early, playoffs by the 3rd or 4th year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion