It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Other teams have had reasonably strong starts in terms of reaching the playoffs. While the Panthers made their magical run, they only did it once and fell off darn near immediately being knocked out in the 1st round the next season. In their 22 seasons, soon to be 23, they've only made 5 playoff appearances and haven't gotten out of the 1st round since that one run.

Sharks made playoffs in 3 years.
Wild made playoffs in 3 years.
Lightning made playoffs in 4 years.
Ducks made playoffs in 4 years.
Senators took 5 years, but were consistently in for 11 straight once they made it, which none of the other post 1990 expansion teams has accomplished.
Predators took 6 years.

Arguably, Columbus and Atlanta/Winnipeg were the worst each having only been to the playoffs twice since their inception.

I'm curious to see what McPhee does in terms of building considering he's already said he's willing to make deals so other teams can acquire unprotected players. Makes me think he's going a strong youth route in terms of building the franchise and not necessarily building a team of available veterans, which is what the NHL wants to see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:52 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Red Wings miss the playoffs! :plusplus: :banana: :woohoo:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700 ... n-25-years

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:35 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

glen a richter wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Bobrovsky right now should win the Vezina. If he can maintain his SV% for the final few games, he is going to set the record for single season highest SV% for goaltenders who have won 40+ games. The record is .933 when Price won 44 games. Bobrosvky also has a shot at beating Price's 1.96 GAA from that same year. Bobrovsky is currently at 1.97 GAA. If it was good enough for a Price Vezina, it's good enough for a Bobrovsky Vezina. Heck, currently leading the league in Wins, GAA, and SV%. Hard to argue against that, no matter what Edmonton fans and Elliotte Friedman think trying to pump Talbot for the Vezina over a guy who is first in all 3 major goalie categories. It's not like Columbus even made the playoffs last season, which is the argument Oilers fans and Canadian press are trying to make for Talbot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

How about Matthews and Laine?

Good God. 35 and 34 goals respectively. After McDavid and Eichel.

No wonder 2017 draft isn't as highly touted, I don't know how it could be after back to back drafts of top 2 franchise players being picked right out of the gate, holey moley.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

WaukeeBlues wrote:

No wonder 2017 draft isn't as highly touted, I don't know how it could be after back to back drafts of top 2 franchise players being picked right out of the gate, holey moley.

Every time I see these kind of stats, it makes me shake my head. It just figures that the one time the Blues get a #1 overall pick, we get Eric Johnson. It just effing figures.

I have to keep reminding myself that those #1 picks come at the expense of having shitty teams year after year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

gaijin wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

Every time I see these kind of stats, it makes me shake my head. It just figures that the one time the Blues get a #1 overall pick, we get Eric Johnson. It just effing figures.

I have to keep reminding myself that those #1 picks come at the expense of having shitty teams year after year.

:lol: I do the same thing, can't blame you. Even in our draft itself, Toews went #3 and I distinctly remember at the time hollering that we need to go offense not defense but Johnson was the consensus #1 at the time and that's all you can do. Could be worse, we could've gotten Yakupov or Stefan or even a good player that isn't a total franchise changer like Nash proved to be or Andre-Fluery, Nuge or Hall. Though the Oilers had something to do with Yakupov, Nuge and Hall :lol:

But yea, kinda painful to go down the list and see "Ovechkin, Crosby, Johnson, Kane Stamkos, Tavares" :facepalm:

Also, lately, it's a lot more based on dumb luck too. What'd Winnipeg have in terms of odds for the lottery last year? It wasn't great, I know that. Tanking has been axed in order to "make sure" you get that 1 overall. Buffalo in the McDavid sweepstakes might be the last team to ever do it because it just doesn't matter as much any more, especially this season.

I'm still upset the Oilers got three in a row and four out of six. Freakin figures they get McDavid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:22 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

That '06 draft - just picking one player different in the 1st three rounds - the Blues could have had Toews, Seabrook, and Marchand.

Instead, the Blues have Berglund, Sanford and draft picks when one incorporates the trades.

Horrible draft year with the Blues ownership in transition and Pleau not even being sure he still had a job prior to the draft.

This is who they took:
Erik Johnson
Patrick Berglund
Tomas Kana
Jonas Junland
Ryan Turek
Reto Berra
Andy Sackrison
Matthew McCollem
Alexander Hellstrom

The bottom 7 have a combined 78 NHL games played - 7 draft picks don't even equate to one full season for a single player and only one of them played any games for the Blues (Junland's 4 games). This is the year those picks would be ~28 and in their prime if any panned out, which partially explains the Blues lack of depth at C.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
That '06 draft - just picking one player different in the 1st three rounds - the Blues could have had Toews, Seabrook, and Marchand.

Instead, the Blues have Berglund, Sanford and draft picks when one incorporates the trades.

Horrible draft year with the Blues ownership in transition and Pleau not even being sure he still had a job prior to the draft.

This is who they took:
Erik Johnson
Patrick Berglund
Tomas Kana
Jonas Junland
Ryan Turek
Reto Berra
Andy Sackrison
Matthew McCollem
Alexander Hellstrom

The bottom 7 have a combined 78 NHL games played - 7 draft picks don't even equate to one full season for a single player and only one of them played any games for the Blues (Junland's 4 games). This is the year those picks would be ~28 and in their prime if any panned out, which partially explains the Blues lack of depth at C.

Well yea, no offense but if any team could pick "one different player" for the first three rounds from below them in any draft with the benefit of hindsight, it's a slam dunk.

Best trade this franchise will ever make is David Rundblad to the Sens for first round pick (Vladimir Tarasenko). Man oh man. Talk about a different story.

Killed that 2010 first round. Can't do it any better than that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:52 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Fun fact: By my math, and using the numbers from NHLnumbers.com, if Shane Doan retires and the Coyotes don't re-sign Vrbata they will have

$37.107 million

in cap space for the summer. They have 6 RFA forwards but none of them are blue chips, so...

Dey got some muhnee to play wif.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:50 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Fun fact: By my math, and using the numbers from NHLnumbers.com, if Shane Doan retires and the Coyotes don't re-sign Vrbata they will have

$37.107 million

in cap space for the summer. They have 6 RFA forwards but none of them are blue chips, so...

They're going to need it to attract some quality free agents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

gaijin wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

$37.107 million

They're going to need it to attract some quality free agents.

I don't think they care about bringing in UFAs with the players they've drafted, with one exception, a need for quality defensive, tough defenseman. Just keep playing their draft picks and developing them the hard way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Doug Weight saying it like it is... no sugar-coating or babying players from him.
After surrendering 5 goals in 20 minutes and losing 6-3
Doug Weight wrote:
What do you say? Nothing. It’s just [expletive]. They had four scoring chances in the first and it’s 5-0. Four! Do the math. And it’s absolutely floating, not engaged with anything. We worked, but it doesn’t really matter. A piss-poor first."
And this is supposed to be a team fighting for a playoff spot against the non-contending Flyers. Only thing they can claim is at least it was a road loss. Of course, the Isles losing leaves the Flyers still in the picture, at least remotely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:02 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Huge Eastern Conference game tonight - Tampa Bay (88) @ Boston (92) with Boston currently in the last Wild Card spot. Boston win doesn't quite eliminate the Lightning, but it might as well. Depends on what happens with TOR and OTT. Tampa Bay win and the Atlantic 2nd and 3rd place spots with the East WC2 spot are going down to the wire. That race is tight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:36 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Interesting to see the Islanders winning their last 4 with Halak in net in all of those games. Guess Greiss and company weren't ready to win games when they mattered more. Heck, they recalled Halak, watched Greiss lose 2 in a row, get shellacked to the point he was pulled vs the Flyers, and Halak hasn't given up the net since.

That could all be for naught if Toronto wins tonight. Let's Go Habs!! Really want to see Tampa make it in again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Holy crap, tonight! Every game tonight one team had a 2-0 lead. Every game went to OT. 3 of the 4 teams that had that 2 goal lead lost. Awesome night of hockey!

Of course, Kerfuffle is going to be pissed. My take on that one is if either of Crawford's skates were actually in contact with the crease, they would have called goalie interference. Goalies are entitled to the crease. Skaters are entitled to the space in front of it. I found it refreshing to see the call going the way of the skater based on the goalie taking the skater's space while being completely out of his crease.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:52 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

theohall wrote:
Holy crap, tonight! Every game tonight one team had a 2-0 lead. Every game went to OT. 3 of the 4 teams that had that 2 goal lead lost. Awesome night of hockey!

Of course, Kerfuffle is going to be pissed. My take on that one is if either of Crawford's skates were actually in contact with the crease, they would have called goalie interference. Goalies are entitled to the crease. Skaters are entitled to the space in front of it. I found it refreshing to see the call going the way of the skater based on the goalie taking the skater's space while being completely out of his crease.

That was essentially my take as well. The announcers were pretty adamant that it was interference though, so I've been questioning if my take is in line with how the rulebook actually reads. In the crease, that's an easy interference call. Not a penalty, but an easy no goal. I thought Crawford being out of the crease made it a non-issue though as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

This didn't take long. A few days after it was reported that Eichel wouldn't sign an extension in Buffalo if Bylsma was still the coach, Bylsma is fired along with the GM.

Also, the person that made this wikipedia edit wins the internet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Devils win draft lottery
Flyers 2nd
Stars 3rd

The Flyers adding Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier to their team could easily be the addition they need to put them in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Devils win the draft lottery, I'm shocked. The Knights moved all the way down to 6, bummer for them out of the gate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion