It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: St. Louis, MO
Thursday, April 13, 7pm: Predators @ Blackhawks | NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports
Saturday, April 15, 7pm: Predators @ Blackhawks | NBC, Sportsnet, TVA Sports
Monday, April 17, 8:30pm: Blackhawks @ Predators | CNBC, SN ONE, TVA Sports
Thursday, April 20, TBD: Blackhawks @ Predators | SN 360, TVA Sports
Saturday, April 22, TBD: Predators @ Blackhawks | TBD
Monday, April 24, TBD: Blackhawks @ Predators | TBD
Wednesday, April 26, TBD: Predators @ Blackhawks | TBD

_________________
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 892
At least games 1 and 2 by us have no 8:30pm start times - I freaking hate that. I should be at game 1 and wife taking game 2. Probably sell game 5.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9527
Location: Long Island, NY
Chicago in 5

_________________
LGB sponsor of Carter Hutton 2016-2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:15 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 5484
Location: Phi Alpha
I don't know what the odds are but I doubt I even would've bet a single dollar on the Hawks not scoring a single goal through 1.6666 games of a playoff series where they open up at home.

Shocking.

I confess I haven't seen any of the series. Anybody have? Rinne just that good or Preds defense playing that well in front of him? Combination? Kerfuffle?

_________________
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 892
WaukeeBlues wrote:
I don't know what the odds are but I doubt I even would've bet a single dollar on the Hawks not scoring a single goal through 1.6666 games of a playoff series where they open up at home.

Shocking.

I confess I haven't seen any of the series. Anybody have? Rinne just that good or Preds defense playing that well in front of him? Combination? Kerfuffle?


It's not Rinne - we're really not even testing him. The whole team went south at once. No offense, no defense, no goaltending. The last 4 regular season games we lost too and in bad fashion - I know the last 4 were meaningless but I didn't like the effort. We're being outworked. But series is not over.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 566
Far from over. Hawks probably just trying to find new ways to keep it interesting. Can't chirp these guys till they're dead and buried.

_________________
Image
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 5664
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Hawks look like a team with 2 relatively inexperienced lines - which is exactly what they are. Those young players haven't experienced how play ramps up in the playoffs and it's showing. Nothing new for any team which has 1 great line, 1 good line, and a bunch of inexperience after that.

Tyler Motte-Marcus Kruger-Ryan Hartman (Rookie-Vet-Might as well be Rookie 1st time in playoffs)
Dennis Rasmussen-Nick Schmaltz-Jordin Tootoo (1st playoffs-Rookie-Waste of Space)

Pretty simple when one realizes the playoffs aren't the regular season and playoff experience matters. We saw this with how poorly Jordan Schmaltz played in Game 1 and we are still seeing Barbashev going through playoff growing pains.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Robby Fabbri 2016-2017 Season
Official LGB sponsor of Colton Parayko 2015-2016 Season
Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3966
This is the biggest shock of the playoffs so far. I expected a 2-0 Blackhawk lead heading to Nashville, but wouldn't have been shocked at a split. Down 2-0 without a single goal is really hard to fathom.

But, very much not over. Blackhawks are on short list for best team in the NHL (Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, in some order?). I won't be shocked if they win it in 6. If we can hold onto our series, a Blackhawk team that suddenly put it back together and won 4 of 5 (or 4 straight) will be a tough second round matchup that I won't be looking forward to.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:09 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 5664
Location: Jacksonville, FL
I don't see the comeback happening this year. They are being badly out-played and Crawford isn't a "steal the series" type of goalie to overcome them being out-played. Crawford has given up 6 goals on 49 shots (.877 SV%) which isn't good enough to win in the playoffs these days. Quenneville tried to mix the kids in with the veterans in Game 2 to "add a spark". It just didn't work. Trevor Van Riemsdyk was a mess defensively. Jonathan Toews is goalless in his last 9 playoff games. (Probably shouldn't have typed that). Kane lost his mind at one point cross-checking guys in the face and, while we hate Kane, he doesn't play like that ever. The Predators have gotten in the Blackhawks head and they are struggling mightily.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Robby Fabbri 2016-2017 Season
Official LGB sponsor of Colton Parayko 2015-2016 Season
Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9527
Location: Long Island, NY
No way Chicago is getting swept, nor does Q allow them to continue getting shut out. This one is still going 6 probably. Not that Nashville will necessarily lose the next four games, I think they're firmly in the driver seat right now. They're in Chicago's heads as much as Allen is in Minnesota's heads. But the Hawks are flush with offensive talent enough that they have to break through soon.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Carter Hutton 2016-2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 5664
Location: Jacksonville, FL
glen a richter wrote:
No way Chicago is getting swept, nor does Q allow them to continue getting shut out. This one is still going 6 probably. Not that Nashville will necessarily lose the next four games, I think they're firmly in the driver seat right now. They're in Chicago's heads as much as Allen is in Minnesota's heads. But the Hawks are flush with offensive talent enough that they have to break through soon.


And yet Toews and Kane combined have 1 Goal in their past 9 playoff games. Two highest paid, best offensive players not scoring goals over that long a stretch should be a concern. They don't have the experienced depth providing scoring they've had in the past which forced teams to worry about more than defending the Toews and Kane lines. Meanwhile, every line for the Predators is contributing. These aren't the days when you can roll out 2 good scoring lines and expect to win in the playoffs - unless you're playing the likes of Minnesota.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Robby Fabbri 2016-2017 Season
Official LGB sponsor of Colton Parayko 2015-2016 Season
Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 892
glen a richter wrote:
No way Chicago is getting swept, nor does Q allow them to continue getting shut out. This one is still going 6 probably. Not that Nashville will necessarily lose the next four games, I think they're firmly in the driver seat right now. They're in Chicago's heads as much as Allen is in Minnesota's heads. But the Hawks are flush with offensive talent enough that they have to break through soon.

It's a weird situation - never seen this before with our team. That's the thing with sports though - always unpredictable. One thing I give credit to Nashville for though is hunger - they are playing with it and we have none. Don't let the story line about Rinne scare anyone for round 2 - we just suck right now and couldn't score on anyone. Lots of strange things happening around the league. Toronto is hanging in there with the Caps. And you guys are actually better without Shatty - who would have predicted that? Not me. The West is wide open this year - should be interesting to see who comes out of it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:58 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 5664
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What people fail to realize

1) Shattenkirk is an outstanding offensive defenseman
2) Shattenkirk is so-so at actually playing defense and if forced to do things on his off-hand side is pretty awful.
3) Pietrangelo working up the ranks was outstanding on the power play and now gets the chance to show that by getting the extra time Shattenkirk was eating.
4) Moving Shattenkirk has also increased playing time for Parayko who is better defensively. The Edmundson-Parayko pairing is a legitimate top caliber defensive pairing which wasn't the case when it was Edmundson-Shattenkirk. Edmundson with Parayko frees Edmundson's offensive game. When #6 was with Shattenkirk, he had to play defense first to be sure he covered for Shattenkirk's propensity to skate deeper into the offensive zone.

Did I think this was what would happen when Shattenkirk was moved? I had no idea. But that's what it looks like now.

On topic, Chicago isn't getting the offense from their back-end either. When Trevor Van Riemsdyk is leading Chicago defenseman in shots and he's played the least minutes, they aren't getting what they have gotten in the past from the defense in terms of offensive production. Hjalmarsson is playing almost 21 minutes a game and doesn't have a shot on goal. Colton Parayko has 11 shots on goal. All Chicago defenseman combined have 14. Not getting it done.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Robby Fabbri 2016-2017 Season
Official LGB sponsor of Colton Parayko 2015-2016 Season
Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 566
Admittedly, tonight's game is the first I've watched in this series. I may have overestimated the Hawks, as their only good scoring chance was a clearing attempt that took a flukey bounce towards the goal. Otherwise, Nashville has dictated the play.

Chicago is generating next to nothing offensively and Johansen's line is taking Toews' line behind the woodshed. They came out of the gate firing, but that was very short lived.

Interesting times.

EDIT: Whoopsy daisy. 1-0 Hawks.

_________________
Image
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:11 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9527
Location: Long Island, NY
This series is reminiscent of the season I became a Blues fan... 92-93. 8 seed Blues of course stunned Belfour and the Hawks. The Preds are doing the same thing.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Carter Hutton 2016-2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Posts: 3675
Location: Scott AFB, IL
A Blues-Predators 2nd Round matchup is looking pretty likely. Who would have predicted that?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:08 am 
Offline
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 892
glen a richter wrote:
This series is reminiscent of the season I became a Blues fan... 92-93. 8 seed Blues of course stunned Belfour and the Hawks. The Preds are doing the same thing.


Hunger and intensity are an intangible but extremely important - the Preds have it and we don't. They also got a very generous call in which Crawford was run over in a clear case of goaltender interference and they allowed the tying the goal to stand (probably because Crawford was outside the blue paint when it happened). That tied it, the momentum swung and then it was over. Call it cup fatigue or whatever but the Preds just want it more and we look like we're just playing out the string. They haven't clinched yet so we still have a chance, although very small one - need to just take one game at a time.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3966
Kerfuffle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
This series is reminiscent of the season I became a Blues fan... 92-93. 8 seed Blues of course stunned Belfour and the Hawks. The Preds are doing the same thing.


Hunger and intensity are an intangible but extremely important - the Preds have it and we don't. They also got a very generous call in which Crawford was run over in a clear case of goaltender interference and they allowed the tying the goal to stand (probably because Crawford was outside the blue paint when it happened). That tied it, the momentum swung and then it was over. Call it cup fatigue or whatever but the Preds just want it more and we look like we're just playing out the string. They haven't clinched yet so we still have a chance, although very small one - need to just take one game at a time.


I was watching that as it happened and the announcer was saying the same thing as you. I admittedly don't know exactly how the rule reads, but I didn't think it was interference because he was outside of the crease. The contact clearly impacted Crawford, but it also seemed incidental to me, and being outside of the crease, I thought that made it a non-call. That's just my perception though and not necessarily perfectly in line with the rules. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of that call that explains exactly why it was/wasn't correct.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Posts: 5664
Location: Jacksonville, FL
cardsfan04 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
This series is reminiscent of the season I became a Blues fan... 92-93. 8 seed Blues of course stunned Belfour and the Hawks. The Preds are doing the same thing.


Hunger and intensity are an intangible but extremely important - the Preds have it and we don't. They also got a very generous call in which Crawford was run over in a clear case of goaltender interference and they allowed the tying the goal to stand (probably because Crawford was outside the blue paint when it happened). That tied it, the momentum swung and then it was over. Call it cup fatigue or whatever but the Preds just want it more and we look like we're just playing out the string. They haven't clinched yet so we still have a chance, although very small one - need to just take one game at a time.


I was watching that as it happened and the announcer was saying the same thing as you. I admittedly don't know exactly how the rule reads, but I didn't think it was interference because he was outside of the crease. The contact clearly impacted Crawford, but it also seemed incidental to me, and being outside of the crease, I thought that made it a non-call. That's just my perception though and not necessarily perfectly in line with the rules. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of that call that explains exactly why it was/wasn't correct.


The rule is incidental contact outside of the crease is allowed. Intentional contact outside the crease is interference. Refs judged the contact to be incidental.

Rule 78 (b) wrote:
If an attacking player initiates any contact, other than incidental contact, with the goalkeeper, while the goalkeeper is outside of his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Robby Fabbri 2016-2017 Season
Official LGB sponsor of Colton Parayko 2015-2016 Season
Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm
Posts: 1406
*starts assembling his brooms*

_________________
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group