It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
I really wonder if Kane and Toews haven't handcuffed this team from winning another cup.

More power to them for wanting to get paid. But they are two of the top cap hits in the entire league and they're on the same team. The pipeline of cheap young prospects has got to dry up at some point (right?) and the Hawks will be in even bigger trouble.

They have $28 million tied up in three guys. The cap hasn't gone up nearly as much as Kane/Toews probably argued that it would either. I don't know how this team is going to stay competitive. I said it in 2010 and was proven wrong but I think time is finally eating away at this thing. As Blues fans we can hope anyway.

Odds are players don't vote for the proposed cap increase this season specifically because of the addition of Vegas. That same cap issue is what led to the disaster of a 4th line for the Hawks in the playoffs. They had to fill out the roster with somebody, though. It gets worse next season when Panarin's contract extension kicks in at 6M per. This is how bad it is for 2017-18: 64M in cap space taken up by 10 players. 6F, 3D and Crawford. Which leaves them in the same boat they faced this season when trying to pay their 3rd/4th line forwards and their bottom 3 D. This doesn't include paying RFA Richard Panik more than the .875 he made this season.

For comparison sake, the Blues have 12 players at 61.25M of cap space next season - it will likely be 13 at ~64-65 after Parayko gets paid.

The obvious biggest differences for us and the Hawks is that we have Stastny coming off the books here in short order and nobody has the possibility of a cap recapture penalty if they can't play any more like Hossa and Keith both do on the Hawks. You heard it here first: either or both of them are going to be LTIR situations where the Hawks are just eating it to start the season.

Leave it to Bowman to prove me wrong, as he has twice now, but this time I think it's different. Hawks might really be in trouble.

Even if they are and you're a fan though: oh well. Three cups later? Winning. If it meant the Blues won 3 cups in 6 years I'd suffer through a 10-20 year drought after that. Not even close.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 am 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

I don't see it the same way - I believe the Hawks just entered a slump starting 4/1 - we lost every game in the month of April. It's obviously the one time of year you don't want to have your slump. Think if the playoffs started in December - the Wild would have run away with the cup, the Blues were slumping at that time, etc. Several months later the Blues are having their strong point of the season, the Wild couldn't play after February and the Hawks start their slump 4/1. It's why the Wild and Hawks are out of it and the Blues are going to round 2. The Hawks didn't win the conference on a fluke and if we squeaked into the 8th seed and then lost in 4 straight in round 1 then yeah I'd say it's time to blow it up. But that didn't happen. There will be changes but the main core should stay together still.

Edit: We just fired our AHL coach of the Rockford Ice Hogs :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:25 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Kerfuffle wrote:
I don't see it the same way - I believe the Hawks just entered a slump starting 4/1 - we lost every game in the month of April. It's obviously the one time of year you don't want to have your slump. Think if the playoffs started in December - the Wild would have run away with the cup, the Blues were slumping at that time, etc. Several months later the Blues are having their strong point of the season, the Wild couldn't play after February and the Hawks start their slump 4/1. It's why the Wild and Hawks are out of it and the Blues are going to round 2. The Hawks didn't win the conference on a fluke and if we squeaked into the 8th seed and then lost in 4 straight in round 1 then yeah I'd say it's time to blow it up. But that didn't happen. There will be changes but the main core should stay together still.

HEADS WILL ROLL!!! :lol: :wink:

Yea, good points. I just keep looking at Hossa, Keith and Seabrook's collective age. Hossa especially. Kane and Toews are arguably in their prime right now and will be solid for the foreseeable future. Though Toews somewhat admitted he was looking to adjust his training this offseason towards getting faster.

NHL Network radio was opining yesterday what some of the personnel changes were that could be coming. Really the only two that were realistically discussed were Hjalmarsson or Anisimov. The announcers admitted Hjalmarsson would probably be moronic considering he's the most cap friendly contract defenseman in possibly the whole league for what he brings to the table. Who's moving?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Kerfuffle wrote:
At least games 1 and 2 by us have no 8:30pm start times - I freaking hate that. I should be at game 1 and wife taking game 2. Probably sell game 5.

Just wondering, Kerfuffle, how much did you score for the game 5 tickets?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:21 pm 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

glen a richter wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
At least games 1 and 2 by us have no 8:30pm start times - I freaking hate that. I should be at game 1 and wife taking game 2. Probably sell game 5.

Just wondering, Kerfuffle, how much did you score for the game 5 tickets?

I actually sold game 1 (buddy had to back out so we changed plans), wife took game 2, and my plan was to see game 5 with my buddy. But there was no game 5 so no playoffs for me this year. I doubled my money for game 1 which paid for game 2 my wife used. So overall broke even.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 pm 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

WaukeeBlues wrote:

Yea, good points. I just keep looking at Hossa, Keith and Seabrook's collective age. Hossa especially. Kane and Toews are arguably in their prime right now and will be solid for the foreseeable future. Though Toews somewhat admitted he was looking to adjust his training this offseason towards getting faster.

NHL Network radio was opining yesterday what some of the personnel changes were that could be coming. Really the only two that were realistically discussed were Hjalmarsson or Anisimov. The announcers admitted Hjalmarsson would probably be moronic considering he's the most cap friendly contract defenseman in possibly the whole league for what he brings to the table. Who's moving?

Hossa has 4 years left and I'm fine with him - he's getting older but his numbers went up this year. The recapture penalty is high if he retires before the end - it is either $4M or $4.5M per year. He's also given statements along the lines of Jagr and wanting to play forever so the chance of him bailing early is small which is good for us - and he still produces so I'm happy with him. Keith and Seabrook are fine but Seabrook might be moved in offseason to free up cap space and get 2 younger players in return. I don't want to lose Hjalmarsson but his contract is friendly as you said. Anisimov never came back the same since his injury this season - he may be moved in offseason and use the money on younger D. Oduya is gone - he was a rental. Campbell is old but cheap and I'm okay if we keep him - he's willing to take less to stay here too. What we don't want to do and shouldn't do is 'blow it all up'. I'd be really ticked if they did that. I'd rather come back with the same team and try again next year as-is. Sometimes you need to lose badly to rebuild the hunger and drive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Kerfuffle wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

Hossa has 4 years left and I'm fine with him - he's getting older but his numbers went up this year. The recapture penalty is high if he retires before the end - it is either $4M or $4.5M per year. He's also given statements along the lines of Jagr and wanting to play forever so the chance of him bailing early is small which is good for us - and he still produces so I'm happy with him. Keith and Seabrook are fine but Seabrook might be moved in offseason to free up cap space and get 2 younger players in return. I don't want to lose Hjalmarsson but his contract is friendly as you said. Anisimov never came back the same since his injury this season - he may be moved in offseason and use the money on younger D. Oduya is gone - he was a rental. Campbell is old but cheap and I'm okay if we keep him - he's willing to take less to stay here too. What we don't want to do and shouldn't do is 'blow it all up'. I'd be really ticked if they did that. I'd rather come back with the same team and try again next year as-is. Sometimes you need to lose badly to rebuild the hunger and drive.

Oh I absolutely agree they don't need to "blow it up."

Campbell would be wise to re-sign for dirt cheap. Get to play on a great team who could use some extra veteran presence on the back end, maybe get another ring. He's already got his big contract, it should just be gravy for him at this point.

Panik looked good, they should try to re-sign him if at all possible.

Thoughts on Kruger? I feel like his contract was just the result of his loyalty of hanging on that one summer when he was due to get re-signed and Bowman saying "hang on we'll get you I promise" and of one good playoff run IIRC. He's expensive for a 3rd liner and I'm not sure he's THAT good (for his role).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:41 pm 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Panik looked good, they should try to re-sign him if at all possible.

Thoughts on Kruger? I feel like his contract was just the result of his loyalty of hanging on that one summer when he was due to get re-signed and Bowman saying "hang on we'll get you I promise" and of one good playoff run IIRC. He's expensive for a 3rd liner and I'm not sure he's THAT good (for his role).

Won't be able to keep Panik but without us giving him a new home and opportunity he was likely out of the league. He couldn't produce, came into our system and we changed him and he's been great. But more valuable now and likely will want more money and we won't be able to afford him. We tried to do the same thing with Jurco this season and he was a bust.

Totally agree with you on Kruger - the contract made no sense - he should have gotten like $750K a year - not $3M. It was clearly a loyalty thing for him. He doesn't produce anything offensively. We'll expose him to the expansion draft and hopefully the Knights take him but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:38 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Kerfuffle wrote:

I agree, especially in regards to this year. I didn't pay close enough attention to exactly what was going on with them, but I know they lose the last 4 of the regular season before getting swept. I mentioned last week that I thought they are a top 3 team in the league this year. They just went cold at the wrong time. Guessing they rested people down the stretch and just never turned it back on, but again, I haven't followed them too closely.

Cap not going up by as much as expected the past few years hurts them. The Kane/Toews deals seemed to rely on that happening. So, that hurts. But, Kane and Toews are a good pair to build around. They'll have depth issues (which can be a problem), but I think they'll be a playoff team for the foreseeable future. And, nobody is going to look forward to playing Kane and Toews in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:00 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

What goaltender are the Blackhawks going to leave unprotected for the expansion draft?

UFA Scott Darling just traded to Carolina.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion