It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:22 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Gerard Gallant to coach expansion Vegas Golden Knights, report says.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/gerard-gallant-to-coach-expansion-vegas-golden-knights-report-says/16z2m3hcrcbml1gn2web5837pl?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:
Gerard Gallant will be the first coach of the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, with the official announcement coming as early as Thursday, ESPN reported, citing unidentified sources.

The Panthers fired Gallant in November, early in the season after he was a coach of the year finalist in 2015-16 for leading Florida to a division title and, with 103 points, the best regular-season record in franchise history.

He was 96-65-25 in two-plus seasons as the Panthers coach and before that was 56-76-6 (with four ties) as the Blue Jackets coach.

He'll take over a team that will take shape during the expansion draft June 18-20 followed by the NHL Draft June 23-24 in which the Golden Knights have a 10 percent chance in the lottery of winning the No. 1 overall pick and are guaranteed a first-round pick no lower than sixth overall.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Just as glen predicted.

Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Gallant was really the best choice. There were a lot of coaches available but Gallant was the only one who wasn't fired for a legit reason. It's not his fault Florida stumbled early on, and firing him was a completely assholish, kneejerk move that one would more likely expect from the other asshole owner in Miami (Jeff Loria). He had the Panthers going in the right direction after years of relative ineptitude and I'm sure he'll get Vegas on the right track very quickly. We'll wait and see what their roster looks like but I don't really envision a team like the expansion Senators and their 10 win abortion of a season under Rick Bowness. I do envision a team like the expansion Panthers that only missed the playoffs by a point under Roger Neilson RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:09 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

glen a richter wrote:
Gallant was really the best choice. There were a lot of coaches available but Gallant was the only one who wasn't fired for a legit reason. It's not his fault Florida stumbled early on, and firing him was a completely assholish, kneejerk move that one would more likely expect from the other asshole owner in Miami (Jeff Loria). He had the Panthers going in the right direction after years of relative ineptitude and I'm sure he'll get Vegas on the right track very quickly. We'll wait and see what their roster looks like but I don't really envision a team like the expansion Senators and their 10 win abortion of a season under Rick Bowness. I do envision a team like the expansion Panthers that only missed the playoffs by a point under Roger Neilson RIP.

I posted about this is another thread but I truly think Vegas could be right there with the Panthers (perhaps not literally) in how quickly they establish themselves. They get to pick a player a team with no other expansion having happened in the past 16 years. Far better group than the likes of the Thrashers, Preds, Wild or Jacket got to pick from, that's for sure.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion