It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:06 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

I'm probably one of the few non-Caps fans who doesn't hate Ovechkin. It would hurt to my core to see Shattenkirk, Oshie, Eller... am I missing anyone? hoist the Cup first, but I guess I'd be happy for Ovechkin. He's a hell of a player and not a whiny little cheap shot artist like Crosby.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:05 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

glen a richter wrote:
He's a hell of a player and not a whiny little cheap shot artist like Crosby.
:plusplus:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

glen a richter wrote:
I'm probably one of the few non-Caps fans who doesn't hate Ovechkin. It would hurt to my core to see Shattenkirk, Oshie, Eller... am I missing anyone? hoist the Cup first, but I guess I'd be happy for Ovechkin. He's a hell of a player and not a whiny little cheap shot artist like Crosby.

Never hated him either. If he lifts it, it might as well be a middle finger to those who have critiqued his effort and leadership all these years. That'd be cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

If the Caps don't do it right now it's hard to see when it's going to happen. Purely on a cap space consideration standpoint they're going to have to let several key pieces go this summer and it's going to take 2+ years for them to get to the kind of depth they currently enjoy. Unless they go nuts next trade deadline and severely mortgage their future to acquire said depth.

I hope Ovechkin wins at least one. When it starts to become obvious a guy is a future HOF, you hope he gets his name on the cup. Or at least I do. I also think it's an unfair criticism of guys looking to get IN the HOF when they haven't won one.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:19 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I'd love to see a Washington DC vs. Ottawa Conference Final- USA vs. Canada, baby!

I know a lot of times the mayors of the respective cities make a bet with each other concerning the outcome, but imagine if it was a President-to-President bet... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Crosbys 1, Ovechkins 0 (11:09, 2nd)

Ice appears to be poor tonight.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Thoughts through 2 periods (in no particular order of importance):

1. If Washington is going to score a goal, it's likely not coming from Ovechkin. He's got the frustrated look Tarasenko had at times in the Nashville series, and he's much more apt to try and go full Superman to score the game-tying goal when he needs to just sit back and say, "a goal from anyone works, let me try to set someone else up."
2. God love Doc Emrick and his work across the years, but I can't take his screeching when there's action around the net.
3. Emrick's screeching is still better than hearing PM.
4. If Pittsburgh scores a 2nd goal before Washington scores a 1st, this game is over. Not a chance the Caps rally from 2 goals down tonight.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Caps fans better be really damn thankful it's not 2-0 right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:41 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Correction: Caps fans might want to get a jump on the exits. (Edit: I thought it was a major-league giveaway by Shattenkirk, but it was Ovechkin not paying attention and getting the puck knocked off his stick.)

Crosbys 2, Ovechkins 0.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Washington's last 9 regular seasons: 8 playoff appearances, 6 seasons of 100+ points, 3 seasons of 118+ points (all 3 were President's Trophy-winning squads).

Playoff record in that span (not including tonight): 44-45, 5 appearances in the 2nd round, 0 appearances in the conference finals.

Blues in that span: 7 playoff appearances, 4 seasons of 100+ points (plus the lockout-shortened season where we were on pace for 100, plus this past season's 99), 26-36 playoff record, 3 times to the 2nd round, one CF appearance.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:11 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Captials:Penguins as Blues:Red Wings was 15 years ago, except it might be worse for the Caps because they had the better regular season record the last two years; we never did have a better record than the Red Wings in any of those meetings.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 pm 
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Caps looked clueless in the 3rd. Running and gunning and not getting anything even remotely like a SOG. I can't even credit Pens - Caps literally shat themselves. Again. Shattenkirk included.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:26 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Yeah, once that 2nd goal went on the board you could tell most of the Caps were in full-blown panic mode. Everyone was trying to dink-pass and get cute with the puck, there was no real plan to generate offense, and the Pens just had to sit back and play basic defense because the Caps were trying to play in 7th gear without stopping to think.

Like I said, it's shades of 1997-2002 when we couldn't cast a hex, pay a bribe, sell our soul, or anything else to get past Detroit.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

I was about to say: inferiority complex like the Blues had against the Red Wings. Absolutely.

You could absolutely tell the Capitals had a meltdown in the 3rd. They had some great chances in the first two periods that, had they capitalized, obviously we're talking about a very different game.

The 2-0 score isn't indicative of the first two periods of play. BUT... you gotta get the puck in the net. Caps had trouble with that in the first few games as well.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion