It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

It's like a fantasy draft with rules!!

Figured we could use our own thread on the topic.

It's generally assumed that the Blues will go the seven forwards, three defensemen and 1 goaltender route.

There's also some safe assumptions on who the Blues will protect. The Blues do not have anyone under a no movement clause in their contract so are not required to protect anyone. (As far as I've researched, the rules are clear only no "movement" clause contracts are required to be exempted, not no "trade" clause contracts).

Exempt
Colton Parayko
Jordan Schmaltz
Robby Fabbri
Ivan Barbashev
Zach Sanford

Protected Forwards
Vladimir Tarasenko
Paul Stastny
Alexander Steen
Jaden Schwartz
Patrik Berglund
(2 slots remaining)

Protected Defensemen
Alex Pietrangelo
Jay Bouwmeester
Joel Edmunson

Protected Goaltender
Jake Allen

Exposed Forwards
(2 remaining to protect)
David Perron
Jori Lehtera
Vladimir Sobotka
Ryan Reaves
Dmitri Jaskin
Kyle Brodziak
Nail Yakupov
Scottie Upshall
Magnus Paajarvi
Ty Rattie

Exposed Defensemen
Carl Gunnarsson
Robert Bortuzzo
Petterri Lindbohm

Exposed Goaltender
Carter Hutton

Obviously, the only debate this team (thankfully) has is what to do about the forwards group. Personally, I'm protecting Vladimir Sobotka and David Perron. For a team dying for some more offense losing Perron could disproportionately hurt. I'd hate to lose Ryan Reaves too but I don't think Vegas would select him.

I'm terrified Armstrong is going to be a moron and leave Sobotka exposed. God I hope not.

Most predictions I've seen think Vegas is selecting either of Yakupov (high risk flier) or Dmitri Jaskin (more ice time, give him a legitimate chance).

I'm fine with either of those. :letsgoblues: :goblues:

Discuss.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:11 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

It's a tough call to be sure.

Personally, I like what Upshall brings to the table (especially for the price), but is he really worth protecting when our need is offense? I'm not sure.

Same thing with Reaves- I like his personality and what he brings to the team. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get the best of Reaves in a fight, and I like having the best there is. But again, personality doesn't win Cups.

Those two, in my mind, are very valuable as part of an energy line, and it always seems like they are generating chances, even if they don't score much. And they don't cost much, but I don't know if you protect them.

It makes sense to protect the most prolific scorers remaining on the roster, like a Perron or a Sobotka, but I think our reliance on these kind of guys is part of this team's problem, especially when you consider the contracts they have. Between Perron, Sobotka, Berglund and Lehtera, how much are we paying for how many goals? This is what people mean when they say we pay too much for 3rd-liners. Maybe we would be better off without them (obviously Berglund is protected, so that's not an option, and he had the most goals of those names anyway).

But then I could see Vegas picking Jaskin or Paaaaajaaaarvi and leaving us with all the bad contracts.

So I don't know. Obviously, this is more thinking out loud than laying down a specific course of action.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:18 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

I was shocked with how seamlessly Sobotka stepped right in and also how well he played. He could be on our second line, honestly. Small sample size being back here, I know, but he was phenomenal.

The biggest thing with Upshall or Reaves being protected is a game theory problem: If you're Vegas are you going to "waste" a selection on a 4th line guy? All of Upshall/Reaves/Brodziak are great hockey players for their roles but if I'm Vegas I'm going for as much youth and talent as I can assemble. Sprinkling of older veterans.

I just don't see McPhee's eyes getting that far down the page to consider Upshall or Reaves.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:20 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Protect Sobotka and Perron with the understanding Vegas will take Gunnarsson and the Blues will trade Perron to them for someone they drafted from elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

As long as Upshall is an unrestricted free agent, he cannot be protected. Only players under contract and RFAs can be protected.

Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
As long as Upshall is an unrestricted free agent, he cannot be protected. Only players under contract and RFAs can be protected.

Good point, forgot about that.

Blues would have to re-sign him prior to the "exclusive negotiating period" that Vegas would have with all the UFA's. THEN he'd be exposed or able to be protected.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 pm 
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

glen a richter wrote:
Protect Sobotka and Perron with the understanding Vegas will take Gunnarsson and the Blues will trade Perron to them for someone they drafted from elsewhere.

I like that strategy.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:40 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

The Blues will NOT leave Sobotka exposed. He's too versatile to give up. He gives their lineup a lot more flexibility. Also, his having just been signed to a 3 year contract, more or less assures that he'll be protected, as exposing him would send a bad message to all potential free agent signees.

Perron has to be protected, unless The Blues can pick up a better RW in a pre-draft trade for a defenceman prospect or draft choice, because the other team would have too many quality NHLers or near-NHLers otherwise exposed to the expansion draft.

I don't think Las Vegas will draft Reaves. Gunnarsson or Hutton are their most likely picks. But, I still have hope that The Blues can make a deal with the Knights that will end in having them draft Lehterä, )to perhaps get an extra 3rd Rounder, or maybe Gunnarsson.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

I forget which team's GM was on the other day but NHL Network radio had an interview with him and he indicated there's been a lot of talking to George McPhee and once we got past the Memorial Day holiday we were going to start seeing some movement.

I'm excited, it's a fun time to be a hockey fan!

I think McPhee will end up with another first rounder, and maybe even a few extra 2nd or 3rd's when it's all said and done. He should get a good prospect haul from this draft.

Anaheim and Nashville I think are in the toughest boat with the defensemen issues. Lots of teams trying to make three way trades with Vegas.

At the end of the day no matter who the Blues lose we're in really good shape. We have our top 4 defensemen protected, our top 2 forward lines... all things considered we're not going to lose anyone "major."

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:46 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

WaukeeBlues wrote:
At the end of the day no matter who the Blues lose we're in really good shape. We have our top 4 defensemen protected, our top 2 forward lines... all things considered we're not going to lose anyone "major."

I wish the Blues could lose the entire bottom 2 lines in order to force management into actually letting more talented players on the roster, vice continuing to roll out the over-paid group already under contract.

Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I'm in the protect Sobotka/Perron crowd. I think it's pretty clear cut tbh. Protect Sobotka because he looked great in his return. Protect Perron because we're not going to protect Brodziak, Yakupov, Jaskin or some other 4th liner over him.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion