Let's Go Blues :: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KMOX
Let's Go Blues
http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/

GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KMOX
http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31881
Page 1 of 3

Author:  theohall [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 am ]
Post subject:  GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KMOX

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- For a lot of hockey-playing youngsters, waking up the day of their season opener can be like Christmas morning.

At 30 -- yes, 30 -- and with back-to-back Stanley Cups under his belt, three total, Pittsburgh superstar Sidney Crosby still feels some of that.

"There's a little bit more anticipation when you're younger, but for me personally, I'm excited," Crosby said Tuesday after the Penguins' final practice before they kick off the 2017-18 season Wednesday night against the St. Louis Blues at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.

"You practice so much, preseason games. I like to get to the games. So, it's more a mix of excitement and relief just to know that the season is finally starting and that these games are for real. They're meaningful. I think I get more excited about that."
Pittsburgh's second short offseason in a row officially ends with a pregame ceremony to raise the franchise's fifth title banner and show off the newly engraved Cup. Then, the Penguins get to work on what coach Mike Sullivan boldly brought up on a stage at the end of the championship parade in June -- a three-peat.

"First game's already here," Penguins defenseman Justin Schultz said. "The end of our championship summer is (here). We're going to get back to work and try and get another one."

No team has won more than two straight Cups since the New York Islanders reeled off four in a row in the early 1980s.

After returning its team almost entirely intact a year ago, the Penguins had a little more turnover this offseason.

The biggest change was the departure of long-time franchise goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, taken by Las Vegas in the expansion draft. The net now belongs to 23-year-old Matt Murray, who earned two Cup rings while technically a rookie.

Evgeni Malkin, the team's other star center besides Crosby, predicted the Penguins will rely even more on speed and skill in trying to win the Cup again -- something that would surely give Pittsburgh dynasty status.

"We have great experience," Malkin said. "We understand it's not easy, but we understand we have a great chance."

The Blues, who were eliminated by eventual Cup runner-up Nashville in the second round last spring, also are keying on speed and skill, although they are hindered at the start of the season by injuries.

While Pittsburgh is expected to be without tenacious winger Patric Hornqvist because of offseason hand surgery, St. Louis is expected to be without Alexander Steen (hand), Jay Bouwmeester (ankle), Robby Fabbri (knee), Patrik Berglund (shoulder) and Zach Sanford (shoulder).

That doesn't dull the Blues' enthusiasm.

"Getting to our game is the first thing that we want to do," St. Louis defenseman Colton Parayko told NHL.com, perhaps unwittingly parroting one of Sullivan's mantras since he has been with Pittsburgh.

"I think we already know our identity, and it's we want to play fast. We've got a team that's tough to play against, but we've got skill as well, if that makes sense. It's a gritty team, but it's a team that's willing to work hard and get the puck. At the same time, we're also able to put the puck in the back of the net.

"That's a great combination. If we're able to move the puck fast, if we're able to use our speed, make it hard on teams to kind of make it to our zone and make it hard for them to score, it's going to be fun."

The game pits Penguins rugged fourth-line winger Ryan Reaves and St. Louis third-line center Oskar Sundqvist, who were traded for each other, along with draft picks, shortly after Pittsburgh won the Cup.

Blues coach Mike Yeo declared his team ready after it practiced Tuesday before traveling to Pittsburgh.

"Training camp, it's necessary and there's a lot of work that needs to be put in," Yeo said. "I think the guys did that, but you could tell (Tuesday) there was a different energy and different pace to practice and everyone's excited to get going now."

Author:  ibldbl [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

What a way to start.....having to watch another team put up a championship banner.

Author:  gaijin [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

ibldbl wrote:
What a way to start.....having to watch another team put up a championship banner.


Well, we've certainly had a lot of practice at that. At least it's not a Division Rival.

Anyway, Game on baby! Let's get this season started off right! :letsgoblues:

Author:  glen a richter [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Pens 4
Blues 2 - Tarasenko, Dunn

Author:  cardsfan04 [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

I say we start strong and catch them in a bit of a hangover.

Blues 3
Penguins 1

Author:  WaukeeBlues [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Traditionally the Stanley Cup banner raise means the champs lose. Hoping for that again tonight!!

Anyone know the lines? Websites are all over the place.

Blues 5
Pens 1

We RUN 'em!!!

Author:  theohall [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Chris Pinkert usually gets it right.

Quote:
Forwards

Vladimir Sobotka - Paul Stastny - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - Dmitrij Jaskin
Magnus Paajarvi - Oskar Sundqvist - Tage Thompson
Scottie Upshall - Kyle Brodziak - Chris Thorburn

Defense

Joel Edmundson - Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson - Colton Parayko
Vince Dunn - Robert Bortuzzo

Goalie

Jake Allen

Author:  StL_Dan [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

gaijin wrote:
ibldbl wrote:
What a way to start.....having to watch another team put up a championship banner.


Well, we've certainly had a lot of practice at that. At least it's not a Division Rival.

Anyway, Game on baby! Let's get this season started off right! :letsgoblues:


Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Maybe seeing that banner raise will be just one more piece of motivation for this team and franchise that is aching for their first one.

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

Author:  tjk002 [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

theohall wrote:
Chris Pinkert usually gets it right.

Quote:
Forwards

Vladimir Sobotka - Paul Stastny - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - Dmitrij Jaskin
Magnus Paajarvi - Oskar Sundqvist - Tage Thompson
Scottie Upshall - Kyle Brodziak - Chris Thorburn

Defense

Joel Edmundson - Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson - Colton Parayko
Vince Dunn - Robert Bortuzzo

Goalie

Jake Allen


God, those are just ugly. Cannot believe that Jaskin is starting on our 2nd line, and Paajarvi is a starting on our 3rd line.

What a time to be alive.

Author:  theohall [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

tjk002 wrote:
theohall wrote:
Chris Pinkert usually gets it right.

Quote:
Forwards

Vladimir Sobotka - Paul Stastny - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - Dmitrij Jaskin
Magnus Paajarvi - Oskar Sundqvist - Tage Thompson
Scottie Upshall - Kyle Brodziak - Chris Thorburn

Defense

Joel Edmundson - Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson - Colton Parayko
Vince Dunn - Robert Bortuzzo

Goalie

Jake Allen


God, those are just ugly. Cannot believe that Jaskin is starting on our 2nd line, and Paajarvi is a starting on our 3rd line.

What a time to be alive.


Given whose available, I would probably have Jaskin and Thompson flipped. More offensively gifted on the top two lines... vice every line having a grinder on it.

Author:  StL_Dan [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

theohall wrote:
tjk002 wrote:
theohall wrote:
Chris Pinkert usually gets it right.

Quote:
Forwards

Vladimir Sobotka - Paul Stastny - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - Dmitrij Jaskin
Magnus Paajarvi - Oskar Sundqvist - Tage Thompson
Scottie Upshall - Kyle Brodziak - Chris Thorburn

Defense

Joel Edmundson - Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson - Colton Parayko
Vince Dunn - Robert Bortuzzo

Goalie

Jake Allen


God, those are just ugly. Cannot believe that Jaskin is starting on our 2nd line, and Paajarvi is a starting on our 3rd line.

What a time to be alive.


Given whose available, I would probably have Jaskin and Thompson flipped. More offensively gifted on the top two lines... vice every line having a grinder on it.


I would agree. Might as well give Thompson all the ice time he can handle with skill guys like Schwartz and Schenn. Maybe mix it up and put him out there a few times with Stas.

Author:  theohall [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Thompson for darn sure better be on the power play. He is the missing right-handed shot (the only meaningful one on the roster right now) that enables the PP unit to work more effectively from both sides of the ice - especially that down low play that worked so well in 15-16.

Author:  StL_Dan [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

theohall wrote:
Thompson for darn sure better be on the power play. He is the missing right-handed shot (the only meaningful one on the roster right now) that enables the PP unit to work more effectively from both sides of the ice - especially that down low play that worked so well in 15-16.


The kid has a huge opportunity in front of him, that's for sure. Hopefully, he runs with it and never looks back. That would be a welcome thing for this team in the early going, for sure.

Author:  theohall [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Also, what's the point of keeping Megan benched while playing 7 grinders... sorry, but Sobotka is a 3rd line forward, still. If offensively skilled players go down with injuries, shouldn't they be replaced with your next most offensively skilled forwards, not just another grinding, checking, defensive forward, unless you only have 3rd line and less forwards left? Didn't Megan earn the roster spot based on his play in the preseason?

This line up looks like Hitchcock lines on steroids.... every line must have a defensive forward presence.

Author:  StL_Dan [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

This team should always be looking to "upgrade" their top 6 at every turn.

Author:  Robb_K [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Jaskin couldn't score with an open net. Then the puck goes in off of Schenn's skate. It didn't look like a kicking motion to me. Schenn was turning to face the net. Good goal. Blues tie it up! 1-1!

Author:  Toasted Oates [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Brayden Schenn scores a goal tonight. Meanwhile, Jori Lehtera is a healthy scratch for the Flyers. That'll do.

Author:  Robb_K [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Allen playing well. Lots of good saves, square to the shooter, reflexes good. He couldn't have saved the one goal, he was thoroughly screened, and couldn't see it was coming high.

Author:  Robb_K [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

Parayko buries it on the PP! Blues lead 2-1!!!

Author:  Robb_K [ Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GDT Game 1: 10/4/17 | 7:00 PM CT | @ Penguins | NBCSN/KM

The Blues were playing well again near the end of the period. Their defence and neutral zone play looked lousy for much of the period. But The Pens were "rusty" too. I'll take a 2-1 lead after 1 period in Pittsburgh. Jaškin had a completely open net, and couldn't pot it. Not acceptable.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/