It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 am

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Quote:
ST. LOUIS -- The first month of the season could not have gone much better for the St. Louis Blues, but their success comes with a warning from coach Mike Yeo.

It is just the start, Yeo reminded his players, and it won't mean anything months if they don't continue to play well. The Blues tied a franchise record with 10 wins in October, matching the best starts in team history at 10-2-1. They will open their November schedule on Thursday night by hosting the Philadelphia Flyers. St. Louis, riding a 6-0-1 streak, will try to remain the league's only team that has not lost a home game (5-0-0).

"We're a good team," Yeo said after the Blues' latest win Monday night, 4-2 over the Los Angeles Kings. "This is a competitive group, it's a group that's fun to coach. They respond, they prepare the right way, they take it as a challenge. You go against good hockey teams and they want that challenge. They want that opportunity to go out and win that game.

"We've still got a long, difficult road ahead of us here. We haven't accomplished anything yet except for a good start. That can leave us very quickly. What we have to make sure of now is no complacency sneaks in, that we stay mindful of the things we need to do, and even before that with the preparation to make sure we stay that good team."

The Blues' success has come through solid goaltending, led by Jake Allen, a breakout start for Jaden Schwartz (eight goals, nine assists) and surprising offensive production from their defensemen, who have combined to score 14 goals.

"We're relaxed, have confidence instilled in us right now," Allen said. "I think we're just finding ways to win games. It's fun to watch from my end. Guys are blocking shots, we're doing everything. It's the same stuff we comment on every game. We're just consistently doing it, and I think the more consistent you are, the better chance you're going to win."

One important part of the team's performance has been that the Blues have allowed only four goals combined in the first period of their 13 games, just two in the past nine games. That has allowed them to play with a lead most of the time instead of having to chase games.

"We've just been staying with our game," St. Louis defenseman Carl Gunnarsson said. "We're a confident group, it doesn't matter if it's special teams, five-on-five, we keep playing our game. We've got the confidence that we're going to break the other team down."

While the Blues were enjoying a day off on Wednesday, the Flyers were playing in Chicago. Philadelphia gave up two goals 20 seconds apart in the second period and lost 3-0 to the Blackhawks. It was the third time in their 13 games the Flyers were shut out, and they fell to 1-3-1 in their last five games.

"I thought we had a really good effort from everybody in the lineup," Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said after the loss at Chicago. "I really can't find one guy that was below the bar in terms of effort tonight."

The Thursday game will be the first against his former team for Jori Lehtera, traded from the Blues to the Flyers over the summer.

"I'm excited to go there," Lehtera told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "There's a lot of memories from there -- good games, conference finals, a hat trick, playing in my first NHL game. A lot of memories."

Forward Brayden Schenn, who was dealt from Philadelphia to St. Louis in the Lehtera deal, also will oppose his old team on Thursday.

Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I don't know why, but I get the feeling we're due for a letdown game. It's always the ones where everything is pointing toward a win: we're hot right now, the Flyers aren't. They played last night and traveled, we've had a few days off to rest. Everything is in our favor.

The boys will have to make a conscious effort not to ease up from complacency.

And Elliott's back in town. Does he get the start for Philly?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

I don't recall Lehtera having a hat trick, but I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again.

Watch he puts up another tonight.

Flyers 3 (Lehtera 3)
Blues 1 (Schwartz)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:09 pm 
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

LOL...sure, it's possible Lehtera nets 3, but, the odds are long. He may not even be in the lineup. He's only played in 7 games amassing 1 A for 1 Point on 3 shots, and is a -3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Schenn just blew a chance to get back at The Flyers, a bit, for trading him, in all alone and having a lot of net to shoot at!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

This isn't looking good. The Blues need to get closer to the net to get their shots off. They need more than one player driving to the net on each possession play in the O-Zone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:40 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

1st home loss and it wasn't for lack of effort. Wasn't even a let-down game. Neuvirth stood on his head early when the Blues were dominating the game. Flyers upped their game and the Blues got the better of the play most of the game, but couldn't get through the blocked shots and when they did, couldn't get past Neuvirth.

Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Not happy with this one. The rested Blues at home should have beat this team that had played 3 games in 4 days on the road. :cussing: :ha: But you can;t win them all. You can't play full out 82 games in the regular season.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion