It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:27 am

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm 
Offline
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:33 pm
Posts: 70
A guy here at work made an Antenna out of a scrap board (1x2?), 6 metal coat hangers, and a coax splitter. He brought it to wotk today to demo it for us and it works perfect.
Here is where he found the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:10 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Posts: 13353
Location: 55 n Inbev
Ruutu15 wrote:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?


You're supposed to sanitize those you freak.

_________________
Image

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:44 pm 
Offline
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:33 pm
Posts: 70
He did say to "clean" the coat hangers...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:24 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Sec. 316
Ruutu15 wrote:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?

really? we're making those types of jokes around here now?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
strocklen083 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?

really? we're making those types of jokes around here now?



Jokes around here have always been so high-class. Sorry for overstepping the boundaries.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:51 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 2634
Location: Mizzou
Ruutu15 wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?

really? we're making those types of jokes around here now?



Jokes around here have always been so high-class. Sorry for overstepping the boundaries.



Jeez, man what are you thinking, making jokes like that when we have such non-offensive jokes in the A. Nigro threads.

_________________
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:52 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:35 pm
Posts: 1777
Location: The City of U
strocklen083 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?

really? we're making those types of jokes around here now?


I lol'd. Twice.

_________________
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:55 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:33 pm
Posts: 4609
Location: SMP's Posse
Ruutu15 wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder if the fetus material on my hangars would cause interference though..?

really? we're making those types of jokes around here now?



Jokes around here have always been so high-class. Sorry for overstepping the boundaries.

C'mon, you've been here long enough to know better than to make a fetus joke without mentioning vomiting them. :wink:

_________________
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:12 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Posts: 13353
Location: 55 n Inbev
How do you make a dead baby float?












Two scoops ice cream.. One scoop dead baby.

_________________
Image

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:46 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1928
Location: Indiana?
Hmm, that would be nice if it would work for me... Something tells me I will not be able to use this to replace my 80inch antenna that i have as my centerpiece on my dining room table...

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:03 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Posts: 3322
Location: sec 316
An old timer at radio shack told me that if you have a set of old rabbit ears it will work just fine. Of course Bugs Bunny doesn't like that much.

_________________
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:18 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:
How do you make a dead baby float?












Two scoops ice cream.. One scoop dead baby.




Q: What's the difference between a refrigerator and a pile of dead babies?








A: I don't have a refrigerator in my garage.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
I decided to make this antenna.

I followed the instructions perfectly.

The thing doesn't work. It gets half a dozen stations, half are a little fuzzy...and none are even close to being HD quality.

Maybe Edwardsville is too far away to get a good reception...I dunno. But at any rate, from Edwardsville, it doesn't work worth a shit.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:50 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Posts: 3322
Location: sec 316
cprice12 wrote:
I decided to make this antenna.

I followed the instructions perfectly.

The thing doesn't work. It gets half a dozen stations, half are a little fuzzy...and none are even close to being HD quality.

Maybe Edwardsville is too far away to get a good reception...I dunno. But at any rate, from Edwardsville, it doesn't work worth a shit.


That doesn't seem right. First of all a HD signal is digital. You either get a good digital signal or not one at all. Sounds like you are getting the analog signal. Do you have your manual for the TV? You probably have to do a scan for available chanels. When I had the HD antenna I had to do it. I would have, for example 4 which was the fuzzy analog signal for ch 4, but I also had 4-1 which was the digital/HD signal for ch 4 etc. Also, they say if you do the scan and, say, get ch 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 9-1, 11-1, but don't get 2-1, reposition your antena and scan again. If you get it then, save it and you may need to mess with the antenna to get the desired signal. But it is all or nothing. This worked for me.

_________________
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:37 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
Leedog wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
I decided to make this antenna.

I followed the instructions perfectly.

The thing doesn't work. It gets half a dozen stations, half are a little fuzzy...and none are even close to being HD quality.

Maybe Edwardsville is too far away to get a good reception...I dunno. But at any rate, from Edwardsville, it doesn't work worth a shit.


That doesn't seem right. First of all a HD signal is digital. You either get a good digital signal or not one at all. Sounds like you are getting the analog signal. Do you have your manual for the TV? You probably have to do a scan for available chanels. When I had the HD antenna I had to do it. I would have, for example 4 which was the fuzzy analog signal for ch 4, but I also had 4-1 which was the digital/HD signal for ch 4 etc. Also, they say if you do the scan and, say, get ch 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 9-1, 11-1, but don't get 2-1, reposition your antena and scan again. If you get it then, save it and you may need to mess with the antenna to get the desired signal. But it is all or nothing. This worked for me.

I did do a channel scan on input ANT B (which is the input I plugged it in to) and set it to scan for over air stations...not cable.
And yeah, it looked like fuzzy analog stations. The stations it found weren't 4-1 or 4.1...it was just round numbers, like 4, 9, 11, 24, etc. It would be nice if I just did something wrong, and choosing a different setting will have it work.

Question...
Where the longer coat hangers cross at the top and bottom of the antenna, do they need to be insulated? Mine are not because the guy in the video didn't say anything about that.
I'm in Chicago right now...I'll mess with it more when I get back on Wednesday night.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:00 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1928
Location: Indiana?
cprice12 wrote:
Question...
Where the longer coat hangers cross at the top and bottom of the antenna, do they need to be insulated? Mine are not because the guy in the video didn't say anything about that.

You just need to make sure that where they cross they are not touching each other.

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:02 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1928
Location: Indiana?
Any antenna is a HD antenna. It doesn't have to say HD to be one. Manufactures just add the word HD to make it seem better...

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Posts: 3322
Location: sec 316
abc789987 wrote:
Any antenna is a HD antenna. It doesn't have to say HD to be one. Manufactures just add the word HD to make it seem better...


That is exactly what the guy from radio shack told me. However, if you get one, it usually has something to amplify the signal the antenna picks up.

_________________
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20545
Location: Center Ice
abc789987 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Question...
Where the longer coat hangers cross at the top and bottom of the antenna, do they need to be insulated? Mine are not because the guy in the video didn't say anything about that.

You just need to make sure that where they cross they are not touching each other.


Maybe that's the problem. Mine are touching.
I guess I'll have to slip something between them....I can't just bend them. There's no slack and the coat hanger wire is thick.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group