It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:00 am

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:41 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I can't believe all the crap you guys watch!

Thankfully there is Me-TV & TVLand for classics like Three's Company, F Troop, Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, The Jeffersons, Amen, Diff'rent Strokes, etc.


Crap, eh? Them's fighting words.


Those classic TV shows I listed got many many MILLIONS more viewers than the garbage on TV does today!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3987
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I can't believe all the crap you guys watch!

Thankfully there is Me-TV & TVLand for classics like Three's Company, F Troop, Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, The Jeffersons, Amen, Diff'rent Strokes, etc.


Crap, eh? Them's fighting words.


Those classic TV shows I listed got many many MILLIONS more viewers than the garbage on TV does today!


Millions more people watched those shows in the 60s/70s/80s than watch the shows on TV today? That sounds made up.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:23 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Check the ratings. Most of those shows got a TON more viewers than shows today. Of course the entire TV landscape has changed but still. The bottom line is the classic TV shows are timeless for generations to come. Today's garbage isn't!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:29 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm
Posts: 1409
I liked the older shows because they had this odd way of combining theater elements to a live TV setting (Barney Miller and All In The Family are great examples of this). TV now is too much into Reality (both literally and figuratively) and Shock than any imagination or simple high concepts. There's a reason you remember shows like the A-Team, Hardcastle and McCormick, Airwolf and the like. Now the writing, for the most part, is too complicated and trite.

_________________
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
I have to (sort of) agree with jne. Today's TV, for the most part, pales in comparison to what was on the tube decades ago. Most of what's on TV today is garbage, but that's because most of what's on TV involves "real" housewives, the Kardashians, some sort of voting system, or the illusion of being stranded on a desert island with an entire crew of cameramen. It's really MTV's fault. When they transitioned to shows like Road Rules and Real World and kids (at the time) watched that stuff religiously, networks started to identify a shift in what people wanted to watch and the quality of TV, as we knew it, started to decline. The ultimate death of quality TV was after Seinfeld and Friends went off the air. A few shows hang on that don't completely stink. Big Bang is wildly popular, and "Wonder Years" type shows like The Goldbergs and Fresh Off The Boat are good for a few laughs a night. But for the most part, TV today is awful.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:57 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 7286
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I can't believe all the crap you guys watch!

Thankfully there is Me-TV & TVLand for classics like Three's Company, F Troop, Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, The Jeffersons, Amen, Diff'rent Strokes, etc.


Crap, eh? Them's fighting words.


Those classic TV shows I listed got many many MILLIONS more viewers than the garbage on TV does today!


Because there were only 3 channels at the time compared to the hundreds/thousands of options we have today. But, you know...facts.

Also, just because a show gets higher ratings doesn't indicate quality (see: Two and a Half Men--which I'm sure you absolutely love).

_________________
Image

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 7286
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
glen a richter wrote:
I have to (sort of) agree with jne. Today's TV, for the most part, pales in comparison to what was on the tube decades ago. Most of what's on TV today is garbage, but that's because most of what's on TV involves "real" housewives, the Kardashians, some sort of voting system, or the illusion of being stranded on a desert island with an entire crew of cameramen. It's really MTV's fault. When they transitioned to shows like Road Rules and Real World and kids (at the time) watched that stuff religiously, networks started to identify a shift in what people wanted to watch and the quality of TV, as we knew it, started to decline. The ultimate death of quality TV was after Seinfeld and Friends went off the air. A few shows hang on that don't completely stink. Big Bang is wildly popular, and "Wonder Years" type shows like The Goldbergs and Fresh Off The Boat are good for a few laughs a night. But for the most part, TV today is awful.


Sopranos? Breaking Bad? Mad Men? Fargo? Game of Thrones? Deadwood? Orange is the New Black? Arrested Development? True Detective? The Americans? (Some of those were on recently, not currently, but you get the point) Network TV, for the most part, is awful. But we've also just come off a time where NBC ran out a night of The Office, Community, 30 Rock, and Parks and Rec. None of those were ratings juggernauts, but they brought the single camera format to the forefront.

Yeah, there is a lot of crap out there, but only because there are hundreds of channels with thousands of hours available for content and something has to fill it. To key in on reality TV and MTV is looking past some of the fantastic/genre-bending work that's going on on TV right now. They aren't calling this the 'Golden Age of TV' for nothing.

_________________
Image

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 21393
Location: Center Ice
I love the good old tv shows and all. Especially All In The Family and a number of shows from the 70's and 80's...but if we're comparing on how good shows are compared to today...

My opinion is that the best tv shows of today, especially the one hour dramas on cable (many of which dmiles just mentioned above), are light years better than most everything on TV Land.

Among the top modern shows... the production value, the technology, the acting, the scripts, etc...are far better than the old shows.
It's not even close really.

The same goes for most movies.
In general, the best movies today completely blow the best movies from 50 years ago out of the water.
Everything about them is better.
It's like comparing athletes from different eras. Athletes today in every sport are so much better than athletes 40-50 years ago. I said it before...if Chris Porter were teleported back in time to the 50's or 60's NHL (assuming he could withstand the violence), he'd be a hall of famer and have all kinds of scoring records.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and it's one of my favorite movies of all time...and when I watch it today it takes me back to my childhood, but if it were to be producted and released today? Meh, it just can't compare. It's an epic film series and I love it, but if you compare it to Lord of the Rings, it's not even in the same ballpark.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Miles, every one of those shows you listed SUCKS! Give me the slapstick comedy of Three's company or Gilligan's Island or the irreverent humor of the Jeffersons or All in the Family any day over that crap!

It's true there were fewer channels back then BUT the bottom line is those classic shows got a LOT more viewers. FACTS you know?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:49 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 7286
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Miles, every one of those shows you listed SUCKS! Give me the slapstick comedy of Three's company or Gilligan's Island or the irreverent humor of the Jeffersons or All in the Family any day over that crap!

It's true there were fewer channels back then BUT the bottom line is those classic shows got a LOT more viewers. FACTS you know?


Image

_________________
Image

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:41 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 21393
Location: Center Ice
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Miles, every one of those shows you listed SUCKS! Give me the slapstick comedy of Three's company or Gilligan's Island or the irreverent humor of the Jeffersons or All in the Family any day over that crap!

Gilligan's Island? :lol: I mean, I really enjoyed the show as a kid...but watching it now as an adult...I can't...it's just not a good show. It's flat out awful when compared to good shows today.
All In The Family was groundbreaking...and hilarious. I enjoyed the show quite a bit.
The Jefferson's.... yeah, it was funny for it's time. But it shouldn't be on any list of greatest shows of all time or anything.

Quote:
It's true there were fewer channels back then BUT the bottom line is those classic shows got a LOT more viewers. FACTS you know?

If I were you, I don't think I'd go by the number of viewers to make your case for a show being great. Do you know what the most watched tv broadcast in history was?

The FIFA World Cup. 2.6 billion viewers. You know...because you say soccer really sucks and all. Right?

Besides, having 3 channels to choose from opposed to 150 channels to choose from...the audience is going to obviously be more spread out and in general you'll see fewer viewers per program as they have a lot more good shows (or bad shows) to choose from. That's just common sense. So to use the number of viewers a show had to judge how good it is when comparing it to tv shows of a different era, isn't a valid process at all.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Those classic shows I mentioned are still loved and watched many DECADES later. You know those shows you listed won't have nearly as many fans as the classics by 2030 or 2040. The classics are timeless. Today's garbage ISN'T!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: Portland Orygun
Get OFF my LAWN!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:22 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
Overproduction annoys me. All those special effects and nonsense, it's like bad 80's music. All you need is two guitars, a bass, a drummer and maybe a pianist. You don't need synthesizers and you don't need crazy computer graphics and special effects to make a movie good. What you need is good acting and a solid storyline.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 21393
Location: Center Ice
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Those classic shows I mentioned are still loved and watched many DECADES later. You know those shows you listed won't have nearly as many fans as the classics by 2030 or 2040. The classics are timeless. Today's garbage ISN'T!


Gilligan's Island?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok.
Whatever you say.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Gilligan is an American cultural icon. Recently it even beat I Love Lucy as the most syndicated show EVER. It has been translated and shown in over a 100 nations worldwide! It BLOWS AWAY any of the shows you mentioned.

It's not meant to be Shakespeare. It's just down home, campy, slapstick fun!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:09 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 7286
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
glen a richter wrote:
Overproduction annoys me. All those special effects and nonsense, it's like bad 80's music. All you need is two guitars, a bass, a drummer and maybe a pianist. You don't need synthesizers and you don't need crazy computer graphics and special effects to make a movie good. What you need is good acting and a solid storyline.


Then you need to watch Breaking Bad. Stat. That is a tour de force of acting and good storytelling.

_________________
Image

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:58 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: Portland Orygun
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Overproduction annoys me. All those special effects and nonsense, it's like bad 80's music. All you need is two guitars, a bass, a drummer and maybe a pianist. You don't need synthesizers and you don't need crazy computer graphics and special effects to make a movie good. What you need is good acting and a solid storyline.


Then you need to watch Breaking Bad. Stat. That is a tour de force of acting and good storytelling.


Or, something featuring Bob Denver.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 7286
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Portland Blues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Overproduction annoys me. All those special effects and nonsense, it's like bad 80's music. All you need is two guitars, a bass, a drummer and maybe a pianist. You don't need synthesizers and you don't need crazy computer graphics and special effects to make a movie good. What you need is good acting and a solid storyline.


Then you need to watch Breaking Bad. Stat. That is a tour de force of acting and good storytelling.


Or, something featuring Bob Denver.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Image

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk TV Shows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:15 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 21393
Location: Center Ice
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Gilligan is an American cultural icon. Recently it even beat I Love Lucy as the most syndicated show EVER. It has been translated and shown in over a 100 nations worldwide!

It's not meant to be Shakespeare. It's just down home, campy, slapstick fun!


Breaking Bad won 110 awards and was nominated for 226 others.
Gilligan's Island? Zero awards, zip, nada, none.

Read up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aw ... eaking_Bad

You sound ridiculous.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group