Let's Go Blues :: Let's Talk TV Shows
Let's Go Blues
http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/

Let's Talk TV Shows
http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27831
Page 12 of 13

Author:  cprice12 [ Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

I know I have mentioned this before...but Jesus Christ, if you are not watching The Americans on FX, you are really missing out...START WATCHING IT!!
The show is utterly fantastic.
What a great, great episode last night.

I think The Americans is easily the best show on TV.
The first two seasons are available via streaming on Amazon Prime.

Better Call Saul is also very good...after a slow first episode or so, it has gotten really, really good. Vince Gilligan is killing it.

Author:  JesusNEVERexisted [ Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

What is the Americans about? Comedy? LOL..I don't even know what channel FX is on Uverse.

Anyone watch 2 Broke Girls on CBS? I tried it recently and it's all right but it can't compare to the classic sitcoms of the 70s and 80s. I tried watching Undateable on NBC it's just AWFUL!

Author:  dmiles2186 [ Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

cprice12 wrote:
I know I have mentioned this before...but Jesus Christ, if you are not watching The Americans on FX, you are really missing out...START WATCHING IT!!
The show is utterly fantastic.
What a great, great episode last night.

I think The Americans is easily the best show on TV.
The first two seasons are available via streaming on Amazon Prime.

Better Call Saul is also very good...after a slow first episode or so, it has gotten really, really good. Vince Gilligan is killing it.


The Americans is on my list to get to. I DVR'd the first few episodes but I had other stuff I was watching and so I deleted them, but I've heard nothing but great things sense.

Author:  Portland Blues [ Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

No spoilers, but wow, this week's Better Call Saul was a good one!

Author:  cardsfan04 [ Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
What is the Americans about? Comedy? LOL..I don't even know what channel FX is on Uverse.

Anyone watch 2 Broke Girls on CBS? I tried it recently and it's all right but it can't compare to the classic sitcoms of the 70s and 80s. I tried watching Undateable on NBC it's just AWFUL!


I think it's 1129. It's right around there anyway.

Author:  cprice12 [ Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
What is the Americans about? Comedy? LOL..I don't even know what channel FX is on Uverse.

The Americans is actually an excellent show. So you wouldn't like it.

Author:  abc789987 [ Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Started watching The Americans a couple weeks ago. Almost through the 2nd season. Love it.

Really happy with how Better Call Saul has gone. Awesome show. Sad the season is almost done...

I'm still on the fence with Last man on earth... Parts make me laugh but I don't really see it lasting much longer... Although it keeps getting good reviews, so who knows...

Author:  Fradi [ Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Didn't read through the whole thread, so not sure if it was mentioned before, but, what's the official stance of the board on animated series?

Author:  cardsfan04 [ Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Fradi wrote:
Didn't read through the whole thread, so not sure if it was mentioned before, but, what's the official stance of the board on animated series?


For me,

South Park >>>>>>>>Simpsons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Family Guy.

Simpsons' longevity is pretty amazing though.

I know there's more than 3, but those are the 3 that come to mind. I'm not a big fan of Archer.

Author:  JesusNEVERexisted [ Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

cprice12 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
What is the Americans about? Comedy? LOL..I don't even know what channel FX is on Uverse.

The Americans is actually an excellent show. So you wouldn't like it.


Yeah. It's a stupid spy drama. Not worth watching.

Author:  cprice12 [ Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
What is the Americans about? Comedy? LOL..I don't even know what channel FX is on Uverse.

The Americans is actually an excellent show. So you wouldn't like it.


Yeah. It's a stupid spy drama. Not worth watching.


:lol:

Author:  dmiles2186 [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Watched the first episode of 'The Jinx' last night (the HBO docu-series about Robert Durst). I don't know how it ends, but I've heard it's a crazy watch. It's only 6 episodes, but after just one, I'm hooked.

Author:  Portland Blues [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

dmiles2186 wrote:
Watched the first episode of 'The Jinx' last night (the HBO docu-series about Robert Durst). I don't know how it ends, but I've heard it's a crazy watch. It's only 6 episodes, but after just one, I'm hooked.


It was good. Plus the guys a complete whack-a-doodle so it stays interesting.

Author:  cardsfan04 [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Portland Blues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Watched the first episode of 'The Jinx' last night (the HBO docu-series about Robert Durst). I don't know how it ends, but I've heard it's a crazy watch. It's only 6 episodes, but after just one, I'm hooked.


It was good. Plus the guys a complete whack-a-doodle so it stays interesting.


I flew through it. It was really interesting partly because I find old murders interesting in general, but also because his mindset and approach to everything is really interesting.

Author:  glen a richter [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

cardsfan04 wrote:
Fradi wrote:
Didn't read through the whole thread, so not sure if it was mentioned before, but, what's the official stance of the board on animated series?


For me,

South Park >>>>>>>>Simpsons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Family Guy.

Simpsons' longevity is pretty amazing though.

I know there's more than 3, but those are the 3 that come to mind. I'm not a big fan of Archer.


My appreciation of the animated shows has evolved. When I was in HS I was itching for my parents to get a satellite dish because cable didn't have Comedy Central and I was the only kid in school who hadn't seen South Park. We eventually got it and I generally liked SP but my interest waned. Family Guy was a laugh riot for me but the jokes got stale and I mean the Conway Twitty bit was okay the first time when they only played a very short clip but the second time when they played the entire song just reeked of "we're out of ideas and still need to fill time" kind of like Peter's fights with the chicken. They have shit to do with the storyline and just eat up time. But, the Simpsons has also gotten real stale, a consequence of its longevity. I remember watching the very first episode and my mom going nuts because it was "disgusting" then promptly banning me from watching it, along with my other eventual ban on watching Beavis and Butthead. Good thing my older sisters had free reign to watch me and watch whatever they wanted on TV when mom and dad were both out.

I liked King of The Hill, liked Futurama, not wild about American Dad. The best scene in King of the Hill is when they meet the new neighbor and ask him if he's Chinese or Japanese, so he's explaining he's from Laos, a landlocked country in southeast Asia between Vietnam and Thailand, they pause, Hank looks at him and asks again "So, are you Chinese or Japanese?"

Author:  Fradi [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Interesting points, but I have to say I enjoy Archer a lot, although I do see why someone would dislike it. I really like Family Guy as well, even with the 'needless' time fillers, to me it makes the whole thing more of a sketch show, which isn't always a bad thing. One I watched lately, and not commonly known is a series called Metalocalypse. Didn't like it at first, but after 2-3 episodes it sucked me in. If you're into metal music/culture and dark/toilet humour and absurdity, I'd recommend it.

Problem with both South Park and the Simpsons is the longevity actually. Both are getting really stale for years now, I even gave up watching Simpsons quite a while ago, it's just outright boring now. Funny about the show was that the Hungarian dub was actually much better than the original one, I wouldn't have liked Homer's character half as much if I watched in original from the beginning.

Anyway, I only asked because I'm about to start writing an animated show/series type of thing, and wanted to know what the kids like these days :D So let me know if there's anything else you guys like, and why. Lesser known shows are welcome as well.

Author:  dmiles2186 [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

I used to really like animated series but I just haven't watched much lately. I do want to check out Bob's Burgers. One of my favorite animated series' of all time is Robot Chicken, but I have not watched that in quite some time.

Author:  glen a richter [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

Fradi wrote:
Interesting points, but I have to say I enjoy Archer a lot, although I do see why someone would dislike it. I really like Family Guy as well, even with the 'needless' time fillers, to me it makes the whole thing more of a sketch show, which isn't always a bad thing. One I watched lately, and not commonly known is a series called Metalocalypse. Didn't like it at first, but after 2-3 episodes it sucked me in. If you're into metal music/culture and dark/toilet humour and absurdity, I'd recommend it.

Problem with both South Park and the Simpsons is the longevity actually. Both are getting really stale for years now, I even gave up watching Simpsons quite a while ago, it's just outright boring now. Funny about the show was that the Hungarian dub was actually much better than the original one, I wouldn't have liked Homer's character half as much if I watched in original from the beginning.

Anyway, I only asked because I'm about to start writing an animated show/series type of thing, and wanted to know what the kids like these days :D So let me know if there's anything else you guys like, and why. Lesser known shows are welcome as well.


When you say "kids" do you mean kids as in very young kids? As a dad for almost 11 months, I've become well versed in various "kid" cartoons and have picked which ones are good and which ones are legitimately pointless.

Author:  cprice12 [ Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

glen a richter wrote:
Fradi wrote:
Interesting points, but I have to say I enjoy Archer a lot, although I do see why someone would dislike it. I really like Family Guy as well, even with the 'needless' time fillers, to me it makes the whole thing more of a sketch show, which isn't always a bad thing. One I watched lately, and not commonly known is a series called Metalocalypse. Didn't like it at first, but after 2-3 episodes it sucked me in. If you're into metal music/culture and dark/toilet humour and absurdity, I'd recommend it.

Problem with both South Park and the Simpsons is the longevity actually. Both are getting really stale for years now, I even gave up watching Simpsons quite a while ago, it's just outright boring now. Funny about the show was that the Hungarian dub was actually much better than the original one, I wouldn't have liked Homer's character half as much if I watched in original from the beginning.

Anyway, I only asked because I'm about to start writing an animated show/series type of thing, and wanted to know what the kids like these days :D So let me know if there's anything else you guys like, and why. Lesser known shows are welcome as well.


When you say "kids" do you mean kids as in very young kids? As a dad for almost 11 months, I've become well versed in various "kid" cartoons and have picked which ones are good and which ones are legitimately pointless.


I hear you.
There are some very good "kid" cartoons...and there are some that are pure junk that we don't record for them.
We encourage kids cartoons that teach something.
Bubble Guppies, Octonauts, Team Umi Zoomi, Wild Kratts... my kids love those shows...and they teach kids stuff.
And don't think they don't retain that information...kids are sponges at that age. My kids know more about animals than most kids, just from watching Wild Kratts.

When my daughter was like three years old, I was reading her a book about shapes, and we got to one page and I asked her what shape was on that page and she said: "rhombus"
...and I was like..."uh...I guess that's right." (She was right.)
I didn't know what in the hell a rhombus was. :lol:

Author:  glen a richter [ Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Let's Talk TV Shows

My favorite kids cartoon is definitely Phineas and Ferb. A lot advanced for my son at this point in his life, but definitely one that encourages creativity (albeit nonsensical creativity, like using surface tension of water to create a gigantic water droplet/moving water park) over sitting around playing video games. I see zombies every day, I don't want my son to be one. Imagination and creativity are the long term answer to how to entertain yourself in unpleasant situations. When Hurricane Sandy rolled through, a lot of people lost power for over a week and even some of the adults were losing their marbles. Picture kids who don't know how to make their own fun dealing with that kind of situation.

Page 12 of 13 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/