It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Resume Question
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3249
I used online poker as a sole means of income from March 2009 through November 2010. It wasn't that I couldn't find a job. I actually quit a job to pursue this. It went really well for awhile, but I didn't make that much in 2010, so I found a job.

Anyway, I'm curious how you guys would approach that on a resume. I'm going to law school in 2012, and I think I'm going to submit my resume to the prosecutor's office to try to get an internship of some sort until I start. A big part of my "social network" is still poker players, who are clearly biased about this. But, I figure there is a big enough disconnect with the poker world here to get a truer sampling of opinions. If you were an employer would you be more turned off by an 18-month gap or by and 18-month period spent playing poker for a living or would it be a non-factor?

fwiw, I've heard every criticism of this dozens of times, so don't be afraid to offend me. You won't.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:14 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1934
Location: Indiana?
I'm not sure but I don't see anything wrong with putting something like "self employed". Then explain a little bit about they skills you need to play poker. Analyzing statistical situations blah blah blah. Now sure what type of job you going for, but if it's math, engineering type job those skill are nice to have and who knows the person reading your resume might also be a poker fan. So I wouldn't feel bad about it admitting it to people.

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:49 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 5014
Location: Phi Alpha
My opinion:

I would leave it off entirely. Law school deans, etc (I'm a 2L myself) view this stuff different than you or I do. I had a buddy in undergrad kinda like you- he made a KILLING playing online poker. Frankly I told him he couldn't NOT do it. And some of these people you'll be interviewing with will understand it but a lot of them won't since it's a more or less recent phenomenon. When I dabbled for a while- my parents thought it was stupid, waste of time, juvenile, etc even though I was doing pretty okay. It's risky putting it on there because here's how it could come across (right or wrong, perception is everything): Had a job, you quit a job to gamble (albeit "professionally" or whatever label you want to put on it), meaning to take big risks, which is even more reinforced by the fact you weren't doing both at the same time but quit your steady job to take the risky one. They would argue you lack stability.

Personally I would leave it off entirely. You put "self employed" or something they're really going to want to know about that because that sounds like something really innovative and interesting. They're envisioning you working out of your garage or starting your own side business or something and then when you say "I played online poker" they're going to go "oh."

Especially in today's market, an 8 month gap in employment is NOT that big a deal and probably fairly common. They may not even notice it. If they really press you about what you did during that time just say you held a series of odd jobs to get by. You're not lying. And if they push you more on it then tell the truth but caveat it with "I left it off because I know how it could be perceived" etc and just tell your story as you normally would. You don't have to be ashamed of it or anything, I just think it's risky to advertise when a lot of people don't understand it and gives people wrong impressions.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:59 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
WaukeeBlues wrote:
My opinion:

I would leave it off entirely. Law school deans, etc (I'm a 2L myself) view this stuff different than you or I do. I had a buddy in undergrad kinda like you- he made a KILLING playing online poker. Frankly I told him he couldn't NOT do it. And some of these people you'll be interviewing with will understand it but a lot of them won't since it's a more or less recent phenomenon. When I dabbled for a while- my parents thought it was stupid, waste of time, juvenile, etc even though I was doing pretty okay. It's risky putting it on there because here's how it could come across (right or wrong, perception is everything): Had a job, you quit a job to gamble (albeit "professionally" or whatever label you want to put on it), meaning to take big risks, which is even more reinforced by the fact you weren't doing both at the same time but quit your steady job to take the risky one. They would argue you lack stability.

Personally I would leave it off entirely. You put "self employed" or something they're really going to want to know about that because that sounds like something really innovative and interesting. They're envisioning you working out of your garage or starting your own side business or something and then when you say "I played online poker" they're going to go "oh."

Especially in today's market, an 8 month gap in employment is NOT that big a deal and probably fairly common. They may not even notice it. If they really press you about what you did during that time just say you held a series of odd jobs to get by. You're not lying. And if they push you more on it then tell the truth but caveat it with "I left it off because I know how it could be perceived" etc and just tell your story as you normally would. You don't have to be ashamed of it or anything, I just think it's risky to advertise when a lot of people don't understand it and gives people wrong impressions.


This+++++

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:08 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1934
Location: Indiana?
I still think it depends on what type of job he is going for. But I guess I'm out numbered here...

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:06 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3249
WaukeeBlues wrote:
My opinion:

I would leave it off entirely. Law school deans, etc (I'm a 2L myself) view this stuff different than you or I do. I had a buddy in undergrad kinda like you- he made a KILLING playing online poker. Frankly I told him he couldn't NOT do it. And some of these people you'll be interviewing with will understand it but a lot of them won't since it's a more or less recent phenomenon. When I dabbled for a while- my parents thought it was stupid, waste of time, juvenile, etc even though I was doing pretty okay. It's risky putting it on there because here's how it could come across (right or wrong, perception is everything): Had a job, you quit a job to gamble (albeit "professionally" or whatever label you want to put on it), meaning to take big risks, which is even more reinforced by the fact you weren't doing both at the same time but quit your steady job to take the risky one. They would argue you lack stability.

Personally I would leave it off entirely. You put "self employed" or something they're really going to want to know about that because that sounds like something really innovative and interesting. They're envisioning you working out of your garage or starting your own side business or something and then when you say "I played online poker" they're going to go "oh."

Especially in today's market, an 8 month gap in employment is NOT that big a deal and probably fairly common. They may not even notice it. If they really press you about what you did during that time just say you held a series of odd jobs to get by. You're not lying. And if they push you more on it then tell the truth but caveat it with "I left it off because I know how it could be perceived" etc and just tell your story as you normally would. You don't have to be ashamed of it or anything, I just think it's risky to advertise when a lot of people don't understand it and gives people wrong impressions.


That's my biggest fear. Once I say it, I can't "unsay it." And, somebody from an older, more conservative generation might see it and turn their nose up at it.

However, I've been leaning the opposite direction for a few reasons:

1. If they see an 18-20 month gap (March 1, 2009-November 16, 2010 I think), I'm worried they will draw their own negative conclusions. If it were just 6-8 months, I think that would be more easily shaken off as part of the job market being down.

2. I didn't do well in undergrad, primarily for two reasons: poker and partying. My priorities were way out of whack. A big part of my personal statement (which is only a rough draft right now) talks about how I've matured since college and have "re-focused" on what I originally intended to do. But, it's hard to explain my bad GPA without mentioning poker unless I lie, which opens a whole new can of worms that makes me nervous. I could just skate around the issue, but I would think a more genuine, sincere statement would have a better impact. At the same time, if they see bad grades (prob 2.7ish) AND an extended period in a "taboo" industry they might not care what I have to say.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3249
btw, I hope that doesn't come off as me saying "you're wrong" because I very much do not intend it like that. I very much appreciate the opinions. I'm just torn on it.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:16 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1934
Location: Indiana?
I'm starting to lean towards the leaving it off. I just asked one of my friends who pretty much paid he way through college if he put anything about it on his and he said no. He also pretty much had a 4.0 average or pretty close...

If you get an interview with someone and they happen to have The Poker Bible on their shelf, then you can bring it up...

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:26 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 3328
Location: Portland Orygun
How old are you? The reason I ask is, I would have no problem with the gap if you're under 23 or so. If you were 30 and had the gap I'd wonder where you were for those 18 months.

Note - I used to be a hiring manager.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3249
I'm 26. I graduated when I was 23, had a job within a week of graduation until right before I turned 24, which is when the gap started.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:12 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:20 am
Posts: 14178
Location: North City
I would not put it on there.

If they ask, just say that you were unable to find full time employment during that time.

The largest gap I have on my resume is a year because I had mono. I was able to get a few part time jobs after 4 months but to get back in the field I am in took me a year because I did not have the strength to work a full day.

_________________
Image
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 3328
Location: Portland Orygun
Guppy wrote:
I would not put it on there.

If they ask, just say that you were unable to find full time employment during that time.



That's what I would do also. It's pretty realistic that people have had a tough time finding a full-time, living wage job the last couple of years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:32 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Posts: 5014
Location: Phi Alpha
Yea my bad I thought it was 8 and not 18. Misread. Still though, that's not THAT bad. It's not the better part of a decade or anything...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:54 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1934
Location: Indiana?
Guppy wrote:
I would not put it on there.

If they ask, just say that you were unable to find full time employment during that time.

The largest gap I have on my resume is a year because I had mono. I was able to get a few part time jobs after 4 months but to get back in the field I am in took me a year because I did not have the strength to work a full day.

I thought I had mono one summer, turned out I was just really bored.

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:20 am
Posts: 14178
Location: North City
abc789987 wrote:
Guppy wrote:
I would not put it on there.

If they ask, just say that you were unable to find full time employment during that time.

The largest gap I have on my resume is a year because I had mono. I was able to get a few part time jobs after 4 months but to get back in the field I am in took me a year because I did not have the strength to work a full day.

I thought I had mono one summer, turned out I was just really bored.


I thought I had the flu since I had just got the flu shot. I realized it was not the flu when I had problems breathing.

_________________
Image
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:50 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3249
Seems more or less unanimous, so you guys are probably right. Thanks for the input.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:41 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20634
Location: Center Ice
I wouldn't give someone a reason to not call you in for an interview.
I doubt putting "professional poker player" on your resume would help you get a job in the law field...in my opinion it would only hurt your chances.
Sure, the hiring manager MAY be a huge poker fan which COULD help your chances in getting the job...but that's like being the chip leader and calling an all-in bet with an inside straight draw after the turn.

Or...
You could always submit a second, fake, but equally impressive resume under a different name and address. Use a google voice number and a newly created email address for the contact. Only on this resume, put that you were a professional poker player.
See if you get contacted. :grin:

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:18 pm
Posts: 17159
Just make some shit up. You're becoming a lawyer so get used to it.

_________________
Official '14-'15 sponsor of the $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt.
Past Sponsorships: '13-'14 another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; 11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; 10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; 09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; 08-'09: Sandy Miller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resume Question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Posts: 9720
Location: Billings, MT
goon attack wrote:
Just make some shit up. You're becoming a lawyer so get used to it.


:lol:

_________________
Image
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group