It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:11 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3207
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/20/31 ... r-but.html

Looks like Mizzou has an invite. I really liked the Big 12, but since that is going to hell, SEC is a good landing spot.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6789
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
I was hoping they'd come to the Big 10 (or 12 or 13 or whatever). They stomped Illinois every year they played in football but it was always a matchup I got excited for. But that's a great spot if Mizzou does land in the SEC.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3207
Big 10 makes more sense except for one thing: (Frank) the Big 10. I never have liked that conference. But, it does seem like a better fit.

With the Pac 12 thing falling through, I could see the SEC move falling through too. But, I kinda hope we end up there anyway even though I like the Big 12 more. Big 12 is unstable, so I'd take an SEC invite while we have one.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:02 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
cardsfan04 wrote:
so I'd take an SEC invite while we have one.



That is the point.

The Big 12 will fold at some point and you don't want to be the fat girl left looking for a dance partner.

The problem is I believe the SEC's invite was based on OK and TX leaving first so it remains to be seen if the offer still stands.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:38 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: O'Fallon or TOP SHELF
I think this was posturing. If there was an actual invite they would have taken it by now.

_________________
Image

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:11 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
I agree that the Big 12 is going to fail eventually, because Texas is probably going to become independent at some point. However, the news (see link) that Dan Beebe is going to step down is a boost of confidence for the conference. Mizzou has nothing to worry about, because they're desirable. Iowa State may be in trouble, though.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... eport-says

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3207
Ruutu15 wrote:
I agree that the Big 12 is going to fail eventually, because Texas is probably going to become independent at some point. However, the news (see link) that Dan Beebe is going to step down is a boost of confidence for the conference. Mizzou has nothing to worry about, because they're desirable. Iowa State may be in trouble, though.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... eport-says


I kinda wonder if the Big 12 would be better w/o Texas. I know that sounds crazy, cuz that hurts the overall athletic strength of the conference. But, it's possible they are hurting the conference (w/ the lopsided deal) more than they are helping the conference.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:26 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
cardsfan04 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
I agree that the Big 12 is going to fail eventually, because Texas is probably going to become independent at some point. However, the news (see link) that Dan Beebe is going to step down is a boost of confidence for the conference. Mizzou has nothing to worry about, because they're desirable. Iowa State may be in trouble, though.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... eport-says


I kinda wonder if the Big 12 would be better w/o Texas. I know that sounds crazy, cuz that hurts the overall athletic strength of the conference. But, it's possible they are hurting the conference (w/ the lopsided deal) more than they are helping the conference.



Sorry, there is no big 12 without the Longhorns....your point may very well be valid, but they (Texas) are there bargaining chip in their television package.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
Ruutu15 wrote:
Mizzou has nothing to worry about, because they're desirable. Iowa State may be in trouble, though.


You are correct that Iowa State could be in big trouble which is a shame because that program has come a long way.

However, Mizzou is no where near as highly respected nationally as we 'locals' think. The SEC is getting ripped coast to coast for reportedly 'courting' MU.

I think given time, we will eventually garner more national respect, but while the football program has be respectful of late, it's a tiny sample compared to many of the 'BIG' boys and both the football and basketball programs are more known for coming up small in big spots.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 am 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
David Boren: Presidents agree to deal
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7006610/big-12-presidents-agree-grant-television-rights-revenue-conference

The Big 12's presidents pledged to grant their television rights to the conference for six years, Oklahoma president David Boren said at a news conference on Thursday.

No contracts had been signed yet in part because some schools must get the approval of their governing boards, league spokesman Bob Burda said.

The Big 12 splits revenue from its Fox Sports contract evenly, but only half of the money from its top-tier deal with ABC/ESPN goes into equal shares. The rest is weighted toward the programs that play on the network more frequently.

Boren said all nine remaining schools -- except for Texas A&M -- "agreed" to give a six-year grant of their first- and second-tier television rights to the Big 12. That means that all revenue from the top television games -- shown currently on networks owned by ABC/ESPN and Fox -- would continue to go to the Big 12 even if a school bolts to another league.

The six-year term runs past the next negotiating period for the top-tier contract, currently with ABC/ESPN, in a bid to keep the nine schools together for the next contract.

"We felt that we needed a lot more than an expression of solidarity," Boren said, referencing "unequivocal commitments" that held the Big 12 together in 2010, when the Big 12 last faced near extinction. "It was a very important item to show we mean business about staying together."

The agreement would be the biggest for the Big 12 in hopes of ensuring stability for the league moving forward. The Big 12's presidents unanimously agreed to give the conference their media rights, though Texas AD DeLoss Dodds expressed reservation about doing so in a meeting with local media in Austin on Wednesday.

"That grant of rights really has teeth in it, because when you've granted your rights, it's very unlikely that a member would receive an invitation to another conference," Boren said.

Missouri, which also held a news conference Thursday, said it will remain a member of the Big 12. Chancellor Brady Deaton said Missouri is committed to the league.

But Deaton, according the New York Times, said Missouri had no agreement on granting TV rights.

Boren said Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin was part of the conversation, but Boren was careful to note that it was "highly likely" that the Aggies would continue to chart their course for the SEC. Boren also said the league would not give up on convincing Texas A&M to stay until the Aggies became official members of the SEC.

"They're so far down the line, I think, with the SEC that I don't think they are likely to change their mind," Boren said.

Loftin participated in the call as a voting member but Boren said "no one should take that as a signal that they have changed their minds." Boren said the other nine members did nothing to remove the threat of legal action that has kept A&M's departure from being finalized.

Texas A&M spokesman Jason Cook said the school is not sticking around.

"Another key to the (Big 12's) stability will be for the league to assist Texas A&M with our departure. The events of this week were positive in that regard," Cook said.

Boren acknowledged that he had conversations with conferences on other coasts, and called them "positive" but said the Pac-12 and Oklahoma came to a simultaneous, mutual decision that a partnership was not best for both parties.

"Our goal was stability in the Big 12. If we could achieve it, that was what we most wanted to do," Boren said.

"It was a win-win situation for all of us," Boren said. "The most important actions on the table were taken today."

The Big 12 will also re-activate its expansion committee and seek to add members, but Boren said the league will do its "due diligence" and not look to go for 10 or 12 numbers explicitly.

Boren also announced the resignation of commissioner Dan Beebe and the appointment of new interim commissioner Chuck Neinas, who served as commissioner of the old Big Eight conference and runs a consulting firm in Colorado.

Seven Big 12 athletic directors were recommended for their current jobs by Neinas, as well as several coaches, including Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops.

Neinas is expected to hold the title for an undetermined amount of time and Neinas is not a candidate for the permanent role of commissioner.

Other issues in the conference, such as equal revenue sharing, will be addressed in the future by a committee that Big 12 board of directors chairman Brady Deaton will assemble. Boren said that panel would likely be chosen by Friday.

Not addressed Thursday, however, were issues surrounding Texas. The Longhorns had already proposed equal revenue sharing but also said it won't make changes to its 20-year, $300 million contract with ESPN for the Longhorn Network.

Boren said any changes to the Longhorn Network would have to be considered by a special panel to be appointed by Big 12 board chairman Deaton, Missouri's chancellor. Boren said that panel would likely be chosen by Friday.

Texas officials were not available for comment Thursday night.

David Ubben covers Big 12 football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:41 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
From Facebook..

Quote:
Mizzou Football
Send e-mails to those in charge voicing your opinion on moving to the SEC. They are listening to the fans. If you have been following this closely, you will know that a move to the SEC would be a major improvement over the dying Big 12 conference. Let them know that we want we want to go to the SEC and they need to do whatever it takes to get us there.

deatonb@missouri.edu
aldenm@missouri.edu
boardofcurators@umsystem.edu
owenssj@umsystem.edu

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:28 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
DaDitka wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
Mizzou has nothing to worry about, because they're desirable. Iowa State may be in trouble, though.


You are correct that Iowa State could be in big trouble which is a shame because that program has come a long way.

However, Mizzou is no where near as highly respected nationally as we 'locals' think. The SEC is getting ripped coast to coast for reportedly 'courting' MU.

I think given time, we will eventually garner more national respect, but while the football program has be respectful of late, it's a tiny sample compared to many of the 'BIG' boys and both the football and basketball programs are more known for coming up small in big spots.


I agree that Mizzou still has a bit to go before they can be mentioned alongside more national teams, but I do think they're on the right track. It's amazing how far they've come over the last decade.

In a way, I hope that they don't go to the SEC. I think it would be good for the program, but I really don't like the SEC. I know it's an outstanding conference, I'm just tired of hearing about how great it is. And honestly, for people to complain about SEC courting Mizzou, they should also realize that for the Alabama's, Florida's, and LSU's, there's also Vanderbuilt, Kentucky, and Mississippi. Arkansas can be thrown in there as well, because it's not like they're a perennial threat to do anything.

Also, I know that it all depends on where you are in the state, but I don't think that Missouri is a southern state. I think Mizzou would be a better cultural and geographical fit with the Big 10, although I can't stand that conference either. Hopefully with the revenue contract that was signed yesterday, the Big 12 stays intact.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:37 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
DaDitka wrote:
From Facebook..

Quote:
Mizzou Football
Send e-mails to those in charge voicing your opinion on moving to the SEC. They are listening to the fans. If you have been following this closely, you will know that a move to the SEC would be a major improvement over the dying Big 12 conference. Let them know that we want we want to go to the SEC and they need to do whatever it takes to get us there.

deatonb@missouri.edu
aldenm@missouri.edu
boardofcurators@umsystem.edu
owenssj@umsystem.edu


Just for the hell of it, let's assume that the Big 12 survives. With the loss of A&M, who would you invite? I'd be inclined to invite SMU. It's taken 20 years since the death penalty, but they're finally coming up. As for the particulars such as academics, I'm not sure if they'd be a fit, but I think it could work on football alone.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:06 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
Ruutu15 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
From Facebook..

Quote:
Mizzou Football
Send e-mails to those in charge voicing your opinion on moving to the SEC. They are listening to the fans. If you have been following this closely, you will know that a move to the SEC would be a major improvement over the dying Big 12 conference. Let them know that we want we want to go to the SEC and they need to do whatever it takes to get us there.

deatonb@missouri.edu
aldenm@missouri.edu
boardofcurators@umsystem.edu
owenssj@umsystem.edu


Just for the hell of it, let's assume that the Big 12 survives. With the loss of A&M, who would you invite? I'd be inclined to invite SMU. It's taken 20 years since the death penalty, but they're finally coming up. As for the particulars such as academics, I'm not sure if they'd be a fit, but I think it could work on football alone.


Sounds like it's going to be BYU.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:21 pm 
Offline
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH
How do you feel about BYU? They're obviously a solid school with a good, built-in fan base all across the country. It seems crazy how spread out the conference will become, and I'm surprised that BYU isn't holding out for the eventual Pac-12 expansion. I'm an Arizona State (online) student, and I love the Sun Devils...I hope that the Pac-12 doesn't expand further, but it's going to happen eventually.

SMU may have terrible facilities, but I'm surprised that the Big 12 wouldn't want a team in Dallas. Plus, as I'm sure you remember, the SMU/Texas rivalry used to be HUGE.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
Ruutu15 wrote:
How do you feel about BYU? They're obviously a solid school with a good, built-in fan base all across the country. It seems crazy how spread out the conference will become, and I'm surprised that BYU isn't holding out for the eventual Pac-12 expansion. I'm an Arizona State (online) student, and I love the Sun Devils...I hope that the Pac-12 doesn't expand further, but it's going to happen eventually.

SMU may have terrible facilities, but I'm surprised that the Big 12 wouldn't want a team in Dallas. Plus, as I'm sure you remember, the SMU/Texas rivalry used to be HUGE.



They said Texas said 'no more teams from Texas' because reportedly TCU was under consideration since their future is in question.

Who knows, I still don't think the big 12 makes it two or three more years no matter what anyone signs.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:54 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3207
I think BYU is a good fit other than being out in Utah. They have respectable BB and FB programs.

It rubs me the wrong way that Texas can veto more Texas schools after pushing TAMU to the SEC.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:07 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
cardsfan04 wrote:
I think BYU is a good fit other than being out in Utah. They have respectable BB and FB programs.

It rubs me the wrong way that Texas can veto more Texas schools after pushing TAMU to the SEC.



Sorry, Texas could tell the rest of the conferences to wipe front to back if it wanted to and they would, that's why MU should get the hell out.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou to SEC?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3207
DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
I think BYU is a good fit other than being out in Utah. They have respectable BB and FB programs.

It rubs me the wrong way that Texas can veto more Texas schools after pushing TAMU to the SEC.



Sorry, Texas could tell the rest of the conferences to wipe front to back if it wanted to and they would, that's why MU should get the hell out.


I don't disagree. I just hate it. I will never hate a school more than Kansas. Texas is rapidly moving up the list though.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group