It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:10 am

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6688
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Anybody else keeping track of what's going on?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Posts: 2800
Location: sailing with the Captain
I watched Tiger through 15 yesterday, that's about it.

_________________
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 am 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3105
I'm not really a big golf fan, but I try to keep up with the Masters somewhat.

-penalty on Guan seems a bit unnecessary (although I haven't seen how slowly he was playing)
-Tiger's 15th hole is really bizarre all the way around. Somehow hits the pole square on so it bounces into the water which is pretty incredible in itself. Then a TV viewer somehow has access to contacting the tournament officials to let them know about Tiger's illegal drop. But, after reviewing the video, they determine it was OK. However, Tiger admits to doing it improperly in an interview so they reverse their original decision. Bizarre is the only word I can think of to describe it.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8027
Location: Long Island, NY
That's a whole load of motherkcufing shit that Tiger wasn't DQ'ed. The only reason he wasn't is because he's Tiger. If he was anyone else they would have followed the rule to the letter. He even admitted that he dropped further back because it was a better yardage for him. The asshole even cheats at golf. Serial cheater, indeed. Keep both eyes on him, Lindsay Vonn.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:33 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6688
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
glen a richter wrote:
That's a whole load of motherkcufing shit that Tiger wasn't DQ'ed. The only reason he wasn't is because he's Tiger. If he was anyone else they would have followed the rule to the letter. He even admitted that he dropped further back because it was a better yardage for him. The asshole even cheats at golf. Serial cheater, indeed. Keep both eyes on him, Lindsay Vonn.


You would approve of Lindsay Vonn's ex-husband, though. I had a good chuckle at this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... d/2081017/

Quote:
What compelled an attentive, probably lonely television viewer to narc on Tiger Woods for taking an illegal drop during the second round of the Masters?

If the ex-husband of Tiger's girlfriend, Lindsey Vonn, can be believed, it was good ol' fashioned jealousy.

Here's what Thomas Vonn tweeted on Saturday, hours after his ex's new beau was assessed a two-stroke penalty that was first spotted by an alert golf fan watching on television:

"No problem Masters tournament happy to call in and help. You always have to keep an eye on those cheaters ;)"

The winking, smiley face lets you know he's joking. OR IS HE?

Well, he's obviously joking, but that's still a great line.

Lindsey and Thomas Vonn were married in 2007. With her husband serving as her coach and advisor, Lindsey became an Olympic and World Cup champion before the partnership dissolved in 2011. A divorce was finalized earlier this year.

"I honestly can't discuss anything," Thomas said when news of the divorce became public. "It's just a sad, sad situation. Out of respect for each other, we're not going to discuss it publicly."

Thankfully, amid the humorless hand-wringing about Tiger's penalty and the ethics of his decision to remain in the tournament, Thomas Vonn has given us a moment of levity.

Elin Nordegren has yet to comment on her outgoing call log from Friday.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8027
Location: Long Island, NY
Ha, that's great! It probably was Elle though I'm not sure how much she actually knows about golf other than how to swing a club.

Interesting that golf, as far as I know, is the only sport where spectators who may be thousands of miles from the actual event can have an impact on the outcome. I remember hearing of a golfer, I forget who, who went for a tap in and whiffed, then followed through the second time and sunk it. He was initially assessed just one stroke because it appeared that his whiff was one of those "oh shit how did I miss that?" frustration swings of the club. However, since he had apparently addressed the ball already, he should have been assessed two strokes. Some guy from across the country called in after seeing it on TV and they adjusted his score accordingly as a result.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6688
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
glen a richter wrote:
Ha, that's great! It probably was Elle though I'm not sure how much she actually knows about golf other than how to swing a club.

Interesting that golf, as far as I know, is the only sport where spectators who may be thousands of miles from the actual event can have an impact on the outcome. I remember hearing of a golfer, I forget who, who went for a tap in and whiffed, then followed through the second time and sunk it. He was initially assessed just one stroke because it appeared that his whiff was one of those "oh shit how did I miss that?" frustration swings of the club. However, since he had apparently addressed the ball already, he should have been assessed two strokes. Some guy from across the country called in after seeing it on TV and they adjusted his score accordingly as a result.


I remember that story too. I believe it was at a Major tournament wasn't it? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. But I remember when that happened because it was the first time I had heard viewers could do that.

I enjoy watching Tiger win as much as anybody, but the media over coverage is beyond annoying. I get my Sports Illustrated in the mail the other day with the headline: "Three Non-Tiger Picks to Win the Masters." We're talking about a sport where the odds are stacked that you will not win, not to the fact that Tiger hasn't won a Major in 4-5 years. I find it ridiculous that every angle from every news outlet is about who will win if Tiger doesn't. The most annoying is ESPN where their headline will be 'Tiger Woods--45th at +1' and then in tinier text it reads who is in the lead.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 8027
Location: Long Island, NY
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Ha, that's great! It probably was Elle though I'm not sure how much she actually knows about golf other than how to swing a club.

Interesting that golf, as far as I know, is the only sport where spectators who may be thousands of miles from the actual event can have an impact on the outcome. I remember hearing of a golfer, I forget who, who went for a tap in and whiffed, then followed through the second time and sunk it. He was initially assessed just one stroke because it appeared that his whiff was one of those "oh shit how did I miss that?" frustration swings of the club. However, since he had apparently addressed the ball already, he should have been assessed two strokes. Some guy from across the country called in after seeing it on TV and they adjusted his score accordingly as a result.


I remember that story too. I believe it was at a Major tournament wasn't it? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. But I remember when that happened because it was the first time I had heard viewers could do that.

I enjoy watching Tiger win as much as anybody, but the media over coverage is beyond annoying. I get my Sports Illustrated in the mail the other day with the headline: "Three Non-Tiger Picks to Win the Masters." We're talking about a sport where the odds are stacked that you will not win, not to the fact that Tiger hasn't won a Major in 4-5 years. I find it ridiculous that every angle from every news outlet is about who will win if Tiger doesn't. The most annoying is ESPN where their headline will be 'Tiger Woods--45th at +1' and then in tinier text it reads who is in the lead.


Tomorrow morning all the headlines and top stories won't be about how Adam Scott won but about how Tiger Woods lost. It's the same story every time. win or lose, he always gets the main stories. The only thing going in Scott's favor is that he's the first Aussie to win a major so maybe he'll get a little more than just a secondary story.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6688
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
True. And I get from the media's perspective that Tiger sells papers, gets website hits, and drives rating. But my philosophy as a sports fan is that the winner is the main story. Years from now, no one will talk about how Tiger finished 4th or whatever it was, they'll talk about Adam Scott-2013 Master's champion. He made some HUGE putts and like you said, is the first Aussie to win it. I saw on Sportscenter that the lead was Scott, the 2nd story was Tiger and that's BS since Tiger was really a non-factor on Sunday.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Masters 2013
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6688
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Also, the constant 'Is Tiger Back?' columns and 'Tiger is back!' headlines are tiresome. He's back. He's won some tournaments. He finished in the top 10 of the first Major this year. He just hasn't won a major.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group