It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:45 am

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:08 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
I agree Glen! It's almost criminal that English is NOT the official language of the USA! Just look at the Latino rights group La Raza which means "the Race". They want to eventually take over south and southwest America and the lax American cultural laws could eventually help them do it!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
The issue, which was created by not having an official language, is that Spanish speakers can function fantastically in America because we accommodate them at every turn, except in school. They're woefully prepared to pass the same classes and tests in English that other students who actually speak English are automatically more inclined to succeed in. Then the teachers are lambasted when their non-native speakers underperform on the exact same tests that are designed for people who understand the language. It's grossly unfair to everyone--the kids, the teachers and the country--to not require at minimum 2 years of uninterrupted instruction in only speaking, writing and reading English. No math, no social studies, no science, nothing but how to speak, write and read English. The rest will fall into place later on.

Now I know a lot of schools have fantastic ESL programs, but a lot also don't and I don't know of any that permits non-speakers to be on a different graduation track from native English speakers.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:44 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3987
I'm not opposed to an accelerated ESL program of some sort (although I'd have to give the 2 year idea some thought). Becoming fluent in English has to be one of the more important skills for a foreign exchange student to learn while here.

But, I guess I see that as a separate issue to reciting the pledge of allegiance in a foreign language. To me, that just seems like a pointless thing to legislate. If the reason they are reciting it in a foreign language is that they don't speak English well, I think that's a better place to attack the issue than by banning it from being recited in Arabic. At least that would be solving something that might actually be a problem.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:03 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
cardsfan04 wrote:
I'm not opposed to an accelerated ESL program of some sort (although I'd have to give the 2 year idea some thought). Becoming fluent in English has to be one of the more important skills for a foreign exchange student to learn while here.

But, I guess I see that as a separate issue to reciting the pledge of allegiance in a foreign language. To me, that just seems like a pointless thing to legislate. If the reason they are reciting it in a foreign language is that they don't speak English well, I think that's a better place to attack the issue than by banning it from being recited in Arabic. At least that would be solving something that might actually be a problem.


I see, every day, the effect not having any semblance of a grasp on the English language on a childs ability to learn anything else. A lot of these kids turn to gangs or dealing because those seem, to them, to be viable options since they know very well they're being set up to fail. They feel resentment towards America because A) a lot of them were brought here against their will because it was their parents will and B) they don't experience the opportunity they were promised when they came over. So I don't think reciting the pledge in another language is even an issue anyway. The kids who would recite it in Spanish or Arabic or whatever other language often have so much disgust towards America they'd sooner not recite it at all. The recent incident of the pledge being recited in Arabic was part of a multi-cultural week and not an everyday occurrence. A mountain is being made out of a molehill here.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:12 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3987
glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
I'm not opposed to an accelerated ESL program of some sort (although I'd have to give the 2 year idea some thought). Becoming fluent in English has to be one of the more important skills for a foreign exchange student to learn while here.

But, I guess I see that as a separate issue to reciting the pledge of allegiance in a foreign language. To me, that just seems like a pointless thing to legislate. If the reason they are reciting it in a foreign language is that they don't speak English well, I think that's a better place to attack the issue than by banning it from being recited in Arabic. At least that would be solving something that might actually be a problem.


I see, every day, the effect not having any semblance of a grasp on the English language on a childs ability to learn anything else. A lot of these kids turn to gangs or dealing because those seem, to them, to be viable options since they know very well they're being set up to fail. They feel resentment towards America because A) a lot of them were brought here against their will because it was their parents will and B) they don't experience the opportunity they were promised when they came over. So I don't think reciting the pledge in another language is even an issue anyway. The kids who would recite it in Spanish or Arabic or whatever other language often have so much disgust towards America they'd sooner not recite it at all. The recent incident of the pledge being recited in Arabic was part of a multi-cultural week and not an everyday occurrence. A mountain is being made out of a molehill here.


I guess that makes sense. You're a teacher, right? I'm not at all in tune with the struggles of foreign exchange students. It's unfortunate and wrong if many of them are being set up to fail.

I don't have a better solution and hate being the guy that knocks one solution without one. But, my concern over a 2 year plan is that it could create a new set of problems while fixing the first one. If somebody comes over here (as you said, likely against their will) when they're 8 and does a 2 year ESL program before starting normal classes, they would be 10 years old going to school with 8 year olds and then graduating high school at 20. Like I said, I don't have a better solution, but I've gotta think those kids are going to hate that.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:19 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
I'm not opposed to an accelerated ESL program of some sort (although I'd have to give the 2 year idea some thought). Becoming fluent in English has to be one of the more important skills for a foreign exchange student to learn while here.

But, I guess I see that as a separate issue to reciting the pledge of allegiance in a foreign language. To me, that just seems like a pointless thing to legislate. If the reason they are reciting it in a foreign language is that they don't speak English well, I think that's a better place to attack the issue than by banning it from being recited in Arabic. At least that would be solving something that might actually be a problem.


I see, every day, the effect not having any semblance of a grasp on the English language on a childs ability to learn anything else. A lot of these kids turn to gangs or dealing because those seem, to them, to be viable options since they know very well they're being set up to fail. They feel resentment towards America because A) a lot of them were brought here against their will because it was their parents will and B) they don't experience the opportunity they were promised when they came over. So I don't think reciting the pledge in another language is even an issue anyway. The kids who would recite it in Spanish or Arabic or whatever other language often have so much disgust towards America they'd sooner not recite it at all. The recent incident of the pledge being recited in Arabic was part of a multi-cultural week and not an everyday occurrence. A mountain is being made out of a molehill here.


I guess that makes sense. You're a teacher, right? I'm not at all in tune with the struggles of foreign exchange students. It's unfortunate and wrong if many of them are being set up to fail.

I don't have a better solution and hate being the guy that knocks one solution without one. But, my concern over a 2 year plan is that it could create a new set of problems while fixing the first one. If somebody comes over here (as you said, likely against their will) when they're 8 and does a 2 year ESL program before starting normal classes, they would be 10 years old going to school with 8 year olds and then graduating high school at 20. Like I said, I don't have a better solution, but I've gotta think those kids are going to hate that.


Younger kids adapt to new languages a lot faster. I'm talking about kids who come over in high school.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:15 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
See below for a liberal case against illegal immigration where even Obama and Jimmy Carter spoke against it!


The Liberal case against illegal immigration

As a kid growing up in New York I didn’t know anything about Mexicans. I knew Cubans and Puerto Ricans, but Mexicans? We might as well be talking about Martians. I couldn’t tell a burrito from a sombrero.

That changed when I moved to Los Angeles. Suddenly, Carvel was out and Chili Verde was in.

Los Angeles was wonderfully exotic; a polyglot mix of Aztec, Incan, Mayan and New World scents and sounds. Mariachis provided the soundtrack as the City went mad with Fernando-mania. Blonde kids named Kyle and Zack cheered on Los Doyers while wearing jerseys with “Valenzuela” on the back.

I vaguely remembered reading something about friction in the 40s, “The Zoot Suit riots,” and of course bigger trouble a hundred years before that, which is how we ended up with California in the first place. But to my untrained eye all seemed right between the USA and our neighbors to the south.

But all wasn’t right. Since the passage of Ted Kennedy’s Immigration Reform Act of 1965, America has wrestled with a massive influx of illegal immigrants principally, but not exclusively, from Mexico and Central America. The South West felt it first. Now it’s everyone’s problem.

Last week President Obama made good on his long-anticipated threat to “act if Congress won’t.”

Fresh off a Midterm Election disaster, President Obama got off the mat and threw a haymaker at his political enemies and the American public who overwhelmingly rejected his policies and brand of leadership.

By issuing an Executive Order expanding the concept of “prosecutorial discretion” to allow millions of illegal immigrants to stay and work in this country, the President has thrown down the gauntlet to opponents of amnesty. 

“Pass a bill,” said the President. And that’s just what the Republicans should do.

The first order of business for the new Congress in January should be a border security bill that hits the ball back over the net and forces the President and his pro-amnesty party to put up or shut up; Either they believe in a secure border or they don’t.

Even with my B.A. in English I can understand the economics involved: lots of cheap labor cheapens labor. It’s supply and demand 101.

The only way we’ll ever know is with a border security bill unencumbered by residual issues like H1B visas, the Dream Act, family reunification or amnesty.

By insisting on “comprehensive immigration reform”, a euphemism for amnesty, both Democrats and the corporatist wing of the GOP have offered bills that create the illusion of border security while simply replicating the same un-kept promises of the infamous Reagan Amnesty of 1986.

The Simpson-Mazzoli Act promised a “one time only” amnesty for 3 million people. Along with amnesty, our borders were to be secured once and for all. The undocumented got their documents and we got at least 11 million more illegal immigrants. The number could be much higher.

Former Wyoming Senator Alan Simpson-- the Simpson half of Simpson-Mazzoli-- blames the Right along with the Left.

“Grover Norquist killed the National ID Card provision and the Democrats killed the border fence”, said Simpson in a phone interview this week.

The Chamber-of-Commerce Wing of the GOP is still willing to punt away America’s sovereignty to ensure the steady supply of cheap labor their corporate string-pullers demand.

Meanwhile, Democratic leaders blubber about racism while cynically scheming for a permanent demographic majority. They apparently don’t care how much damage they’re doing to the poor and working class of this country by insisting on the very policies that hurt the poor the most.

According to the non-partisan Public Policy Institute, California has the highest poverty rate in the nation. California also has the largest illegal population.



http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ation.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 21393
Location: Center Ice
Why do your posts always, always, always read like a bad chain email full of misinformation?

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:23 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
I only deal in FACTS cprice. Read below how Obama and Jimmy Carter were against illegal immigration. You can verify their quotes.

In 2006 then-Senator Barack Obama understood how damaging illegal immigration is for the working people of this country.

“The number of immigrants added to the labor force every year is of a magnitude not seen in this country for over a century,” Obama wrote in The Audacity of Hope. “If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole… it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.”

Barack Obama was not the first Liberal to make this observation. Legendary Texas Democratic Congresswoman Barbara Jordan understood how millions of cheap laborers pouring across our southern border lowered the wages of all working men and women, especially African-Americans. Sxities icon Eugene McCarthy spent his final years warning about the negative impact of unfettered immigration. Perhaps the greatest irony remains that civil rights titan Caesar Chavez was a lifelong opponent of illegal immigration.

On August 4th, 1977, President Jimmy Carter issued a Presidential paper on immigration saying, among other things:

“In the last several years, millions of undocumented aliens have illegally immigrated to the United States. They have breached our nation’s immigration laws, displaced many American citizens from jobs, and placed an increased financial burden on many states and local governments.”

Carter went on to propose a series of reforms, focusing first on enforcement of our laws and establishing penalties for employers who knowingly hire illegal labor.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:40 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3987
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I only deal in FACTS cprice.


Well, that's a lie, err, LIE.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:09 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 21393
Location: Center Ice
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I only deal in FACTS cprice. Read below how Obama and Jimmy Carter were against illegal immigration. You can verify their quotes.

In 2006 then-Senator Barack Obama understood how damaging illegal immigration is for the working people of this country.

“The number of immigrants added to the labor force every year is of a magnitude not seen in this country for over a century,” Obama wrote in The Audacity of Hope. “If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole… it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.”

Barack Obama was not the first Liberal to make this observation. Legendary Texas Democratic Congresswoman Barbara Jordan understood how millions of cheap laborers pouring across our southern border lowered the wages of all working men and women, especially African-Americans. Sxities icon Eugene McCarthy spent his final years warning about the negative impact of unfettered immigration. Perhaps the greatest irony remains that civil rights titan Caesar Chavez was a lifelong opponent of illegal immigration.

On August 4th, 1977, President Jimmy Carter issued a Presidential paper on immigration saying, among other things:

“In the last several years, millions of undocumented aliens have illegally immigrated to the United States. They have breached our nation’s immigration laws, displaced many American citizens from jobs, and placed an increased financial burden on many states and local governments.”

Carter went on to propose a series of reforms, focusing first on enforcement of our laws and establishing penalties for employers who knowingly hire illegal labor.

Image

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:38 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Come on Cprice. You could have at least read the parts bolded that show both Obama and Carter were against illegal immigration. Check out below for more proof people are against illegals. A Rasmussen poll shows people want more deportations, less illegals, and want to end birthright citizenship!


The majority of US voters think their government should be more aggressive about deporting illegal immigrants, dislike automatic citizenship, and oppose President Obama’s amnesty plan, a new survey shows.

A Rasmussen Reports nationwide phone survey found that 62 percent of likely voters polled believe the government is “not aggressive enough” in deporting illegal immigrants and should do more. This is an increase from 56 percent in last November’s poll and from 52 percent last April. Only 15 percent think the current number of deportations is “about right.”

Fifty-one percent of respondents disagreed that illegal immigrants with American-born children should be exempt from deportation – as proposed by the president’s amnesty plan – while only 32 percent agreed. In November, those percentages were 42 and 38 respectively.



Most of those polled, 54 percent, continue to oppose automatic birthright citizenship for children born to illegal immigrant mothers. Only 38 percent favor the current policy, which grants citizenship to all born on US soil. 


http://rt.com/usa/247217-us-voters-immigration-poll/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:04 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
As if this was any surprise, Hillary is running for president again.

In related news, sseagle plans to hang himself from the arch if she wins.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:04 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Hope Hillary is tougher on illegals than Obummer and I actually supported him during his first term. Notice he mentioned NOTHING about amnesty during the 2012 election. If he did he would have lost. I never knew he was a Jekyll and Hyde candidate.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:28 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 1084
Now several illegals from last year's border surge as committing serious crimes from murder to assault to rape! And there is another border surge due this summer!

From the Washington Times:

As the Obama administration prepares for a new surge of illegal immigrant children this year, some of those from previous waves are turning up on court dockets across the country, charged with serious crimes such as capital murder and aggravated rape.

The cases are exposing many of the holes in the immigration system and the way the U.S. has tried to grapple with children fleeing economic troubles, domestic abuse or gang violence in Central America — and sometimes bringing those very troubles to the U.S. with them.

From the law, which requires most of the children to be turned over to social workers, to immigration authorities and the court system, which allow most of them to abscond, never showing up to be deported, to the lack of a safety net to help the children once they’re free in the country, the cases suggest a broken process nearly from start to finish, with some children getting lost in the system and others being released because of overcrowding, only to reappear when they’re called before a judge to answer for a bigger crime.



Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/13/illegal-immigrants-crimes-expose-broken-immigratio/#ixzz3XIkt1LPV 
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:35 am 
Offline
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:42 pm
Posts: 172
Great debate last night for the Republican 2016 candidates. Anyone else catch the debate?

_________________
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:53 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3987
I watched it.

Kasich was good.
Trump was Trump.
Jeb did what he needed to do, not sound like a total idiot.
Carson was funny, but that's about all.

Everybody else was just kinda there I thought.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:49 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Long Island, NY
No comment.

I've picked my candidate, and if Goon found out who it was, his head would explode. We don't need that again.

Now, if you don't mind, I have some Colonel Sanders reheating in the oven and it may Bernie if I leave it in there too long.

_________________
LGB sponsor of Vince Dunn 2017-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:49 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 3987
glen a richter wrote:
No comment.

I've picked my candidate, and if Goon found out who it was, his head would explode. We don't need that again.

Now, if you don't mind, I have some Colonel Sanders reheating in the oven and it may Bernie if I leave it in there too long.


I really like him too. He goes a little further left than I care for, but I love that he's authentic and that he's bringing up issues that I care about that seem to otherwise get ignored. I'm just not sure I'm totally in favor of his solutions to these issues.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:30 pm 
Offline
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:42 pm
Posts: 172
I thought Huckabee and Cruz did pretty great. They were both very knowledgeable about all issues and in line with what I wanted a pres candidate to say.

Trump stumbled on a couple of questions about foreign policy and deflected. Kasich (who I like as well) failed to answer the question asked of him a lot and just said what he wanted to say in that moment.

Rand hurt his chances
Rubio seemed to hold his own (maybe in 4-8 years)
Carson will make someone a great VP
The rest...meh

_________________
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group