Tracking the Improbable...

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

bluenotebacker
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by bluenotebacker »

This is just because I'm a KAG, I know that, but frankly, I'd like to see Walt & Guerin both stay with the Blues for next year and/or beyond. I just would. Brewer I couldn't care less about, they should definitely unload him at the deadline if it will help next year.
People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but it's fun to watch them tumble down the stairs every once in a while.

TC

Post by TC »

i'd be ok with trading walt & brewer.

what i think is more interesting is mayers is FA after this season - will he stay? he could be a guy that remains with the same team his whole career. i'd certainly be ok with that.

Aode

Post by Aode »

BringBackZezel wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Hollywood wrote:
Trade a player or two at the deadline? Absolutely.
Have a firesale at the deadline? No friggin' way.

So don't commit either way.
I call it... going with the flow and not forcing the issue.
That would be the cowardly way of going about things.

Pick a path and go with it.

This good enough to make the playoffs crap but never good enough to win stuff is painful to real Blues fans.
I understand what you meant about the cup thing- but as cprice pointed out with the Leafs and as I was about to say with the Hawks- the reason people go to see them play isn't because they won the cup a million years ago- its when they start to win.

You don't think that I'm upset at the never-ending Blues futility in the playoffs? That wasn't the argument- you were talking about profits...

Other than Legace, I don't see much wrong with the signings that the Blues made this last summer- and we ARE re-building- just not at a "no-holds-barred-everyone-gone-no-matter-who-they-are" pace as you seem to want...

MU_Beerman
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by MU_Beerman »

If the Blues trade a grinder (Drake) and a defenseman (Brewer / Backman / maybe Salvador), in a package deal, they could probably net a pretty good young offensive player. Further, these are guys they could band-aid over for the rest of the season and possibly be better for it, especially if they add a legitimate threat. (Of course this may be moot considering the way they are scoring lately, but I digress).

Assuming that the grinders remain healthy, you could trot out Mayers, Hinote, McClement, RJ, King, and Cajanek, and Backes in some form. And it's also possible the Blues could coax EJ out of college for a late season surge. Polak and/or Woywitka should be ready to contribute in some manner nearing the end of the AHL season.

Just seems like the sensible move to make because it doesn't necessarily gut the team (assuming the stars align, which I can't recall ever happening for the Blues except the year they lost to San Jose in the first round) you can still resign Walt, go after Briere in the offseason, etc. And it doesn't cost a Soderberg, Berglund, Kana, pick or other prospect to do it.

But you would certainly hate to meet up against those guys in the postseason...
"Where's the keg I'll Pump"
-Happy Gilmore

Aode

Post by Aode »

Mayers, Hinote, McClement, RJ, King, and Cajanek, and Backes
there are no prospects in that list then, huh? EJ the only one?

I'm still pissed we traded Sillinger for Shishkanov :x

Aode

Post by Aode »

average of 1.43 pts per game to hit 94 pts mark...

we moved up .01 points with that win :D haha

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

bamabluesfan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
So obviously the blues have to win tonight and saturday but they needed to do that anyway, but if they do there is at least a possibility that they could be below the 6pt threshold before the break.
I thought the 6 pt. threshold was to be at the trading deadline, and not the all-star break?
It is, I guess my point there was if they hoping to be within 6 by the trade deadline then it underscores the effort they have put out over the past few weeks.

I just wonder if this is the team, that it isnt just an anomoly or a surge under a new coach. I think maybe this is more what JD was envisioning. Watching them the other night I couldnt help but think they were kind of like Detroit in that they play good D and jump when they get a chance. As much as I hate detroit, you still have to respect them, that oportunistic attitude is very similar to the way they play. Of course solid goaltending over the last month has helped a lot.
I don't know about anyone else, but this is more along the lines of how I thought they'd play this year...maybe not quite this good, but challenging for a playoff spot was what I had in mind coming in.

I think they play a lot like New Jersey. Suffocating and taking away the passing lanes in their own end and blocking a lot of shots....getting good goaltending and opportunistic on offense.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

bamabluesfan
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by bamabluesfan »

cprice12 wrote:
bamabluesfan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
So obviously the blues have to win tonight and saturday but they needed to do that anyway, but if they do there is at least a possibility that they could be below the 6pt threshold before the break.
I thought the 6 pt. threshold was to be at the trading deadline, and not the all-star break?
It is, I guess my point there was if they hoping to be within 6 by the trade deadline then it underscores the effort they have put out over the past few weeks.

I just wonder if this is the team, that it isnt just an anomoly or a surge under a new coach. I think maybe this is more what JD was envisioning. Watching them the other night I couldnt help but think they were kind of like Detroit in that they play good D and jump when they get a chance. As much as I hate detroit, you still have to respect them, that oportunistic attitude is very similar to the way they play. Of course solid goaltending over the last month has helped a lot.
I don't know about anyone else, but this is more along the lines of how I thought they'd play this year...maybe not quite this good, but challenging for a playoff spot was what I had in mind coming in.

I think they play a lot like New Jersey. Suffocating and taking away the passing lanes in their own end and blocking a lot of shots....getting good goaltending and opportunistic on offense.
Well Detroit or Jersey, honestly there are worse styles of hockey to play....

I think we saw one of them earlier this year.

This is more what I hoped we would see, it is really nice not to dread the next game because unfortunately I must be a massocist or something cause I would watch and groan no matter how poorly they played. There are still areas I would like to see improve, but I cant say I am really unhappy with the blues right now, even when they lose it is still a game worth watching. I am just hoping to see them thrash Detroit after the allstar break, I loathe them (Frankers).
bbf

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
- Philip K. Dick

bluenotebacker
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by bluenotebacker »

TC wrote:i'd be ok with trading walt & brewer.

what i think is more interesting is mayers is FA after this season - will he stay? he could be a guy that remains with the same team his whole career. i'd certainly be ok with that.

I, on the other hand, would love to see Mayers outta here, and soon. Yeah, he scored a shorty v. Anaheim. He's like a dime a dozen player, I'd rather give somebody like Mike Glumac his roster spot.
People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but it's fun to watch them tumble down the stairs every once in a while.

Rocketpop
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Rocketpop »

Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, and Columbus look like they will win tonight.

Anaheim has royally blown chunks without Giguere and Pronger. It is amazing what Pronger and a Goalie will do for your numbers...
Signature removed by cprice12: Suggestive Avatar

SMS Bleeds Blue
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by SMS Bleeds Blue »

bluenotebacker wrote:

I, on the other hand, would love to see Mayers outta here, and soon. Yeah, he scored a shorty v. Anaheim. He's like a dime a dozen player, I'd rather give somebody like Mike Glumac his roster spot.
Let's make a list of all the Blues who have given 100% consistently, night in and night out, since the end of the lockout. Here goes:
  • • Jamal Mayers
No, he's not a great skill guy. But he's never disgraced the Note, and that's a lot more than can be said about some of the guys who make multiples of his salary. The meme "put an 'A' on his sweater" should be much more prevalent than the meme "kick him to the curb".
Covenant wrote:It's been a couple years since the Wings have been shutout, and it certainly won't be broken by the lowly Blues.

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by illownyou »

I'll always support an 'A' on the sweater of a Jamal Mayers. Hardworking classy guy. 8)
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

bluenotebacker
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by bluenotebacker »

You've just got your mayers colored glasses on. ;) And we'll have to agree to disagree. :letsgoblues:

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by illownyou »

bluenotebacker wrote:You've just got your mayers colored glasses on. ;) And we'll have to agree to disagree. :letsgoblues:
Deal... :lol:

see everyone, thats how its done. :wink:
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

bluenotebacker wrote:

I don't think players like Mayers are a dime a dozen. He is a fantastic penalty killer, has the best speed on the team next to D-vo and doesn't dick around with the puck- he puts it on (and sometimes in) net. Not to mention he has been loyal to the franchise, doesn't ask for huge raises, is respected and does a lot for the STL community. There should always be at least one spot on this team for a player like him.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

FloPoErich
All-Star
All-Star

Post by FloPoErich »

BoxCar wrote:
bluenotebacker wrote:

I don't think players like Mayers are a dime a dozen. He is a fantastic penalty killer, has the best speed on the team next to D-vo and doesn't dick around with the puck- he puts it on (and sometimes in) net. Not to mention he has been loyal to the franchise, doesn't ask for huge raises, is respected and does a lot for the STL community. There should always be at least one spot on this team for a player like him.
:plusplus: Even though he doesn't score 20 goals every season, he is still a key part of the team... well stated BoxCar

TC

Post by TC »

But he's never disgraced the Note
although one could argue that the bleached eyebrow(s) was toeing the line.... :lol:

plan13
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by plan13 »

TC wrote:
But he's never disgraced the Note
although one could argue that the bleached eyebrow(s) was toeing the line.... :lol:

ahhhh hahaha, what a trainwreck that was
For those I love I will sacrifice.

Not for those I've never seen.

Moasat
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Moasat »

FloPoErich wrote:
BoxCar wrote:
bluenotebacker wrote:

:plusplus: Even though he doesn't score 20 goals every season, he is still a key part of the team... well stated BoxCar
Mayers can be the nicest guy in the city and on the team. And he can give 110% every night. But are we grading players on effort or results? A person can work as hard as they can 24/7 but a person like Mayers, no matter how hard he works, is not going to be another Gretzky or Crosby.

Now, as a penalty killer, he's got great speed and all that, but so do a lot of other penalty killers.

As a person, I'm sure he is a really nice guy.

As a player, I see him as a dime-a-dozen guy. If there's a roster spot for him, great, if not, I don't see it as losing a key player.
Some people have a way about them that seems to say: "If I have only one life to live, let me live it as a jerk."

Aode

Post by Aode »

Moasat wrote:
FloPoErich wrote:
BoxCar wrote:
bluenotebacker wrote:

Mayers can be the nicest guy in the city and on the team. And he can give 110% every night. But are we grading players on effort or results? A person can work as hard as they can 24/7 but a person like Mayers, no matter how hard he works, is not going to be another Gretzky or Crosby.

Now, as a penalty killer, he's got great speed and all that, but so do a lot of other penalty killers.

As a person, I'm sure he is a really nice guy.

As a player, I see him as a dime-a-dozen guy. If there's a roster spot for him, great, if not, I don't see it as losing a key player.
I'm kind of indifferent- if he's traded, okay. If not- okay. I'd rather focus on how we could improve/score more on our first and second lines and let the checking and fourth lines sorta figure themselves out.

I will say, though, that effective PK players are underrated. see- Ryan Johnson.