Pronger Traded!!

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

OS wrote:
BringBackZezel wrote:My only question now is who is going to provide leadership in defense? Eric Weinrich?
This was my biggest fear about losing Pronger. I think it's time for the Blues to get MacInnis on the team in some capacity.
The positive is that this team is looking more and more like the ones Weight led in Edmonton to play some inspired hockey.

I'd much rather watch a team of young underachievers bust their asses than watch the Blues of the past few years annually underachieve.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

Blueline29 wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:At least we won't have to hear about how Pronger is a cancer in the lockerroom anymore. Even when they gave MacInnis the 'C', it was still Pronger's team in many ways. Maybe this will free Weight to take his play to the next level.
I was thinking about this last night...didn't somebody say something here back in the day about how Mac had been quoted (off the record, obviously) as saying something to the effect of "If they give him back the C when he returns, we're (Franked)"?
Yup...that was me that posted it here.

And Mike Keane said something similar....something like "This team will never win with Pronger as a leader"

Interesting quotes coming from a couple cup winners....but even more interesting now because it gives Blues fans a little more hope.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

TC

Post by TC »

icing11 wrote:I'd like to read the Oiler fan's comments. Can someone please post a link to their message boards?
don't have a link, but here's what a friend of mine said:
Wow.

As an Oilers fan I have not been happier since 1990
when Mark Messier lifted the Stanley Cup in victory!
Chris Pronger an Oiler, who would have thought...
sad to see Brewer go however.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

SmokeMorePot wrote:This is the end of hockey in St Louis. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, didn't you draft Eric Brewer in the mock draft?

;)

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Pronger is an amazing talent, but I think Jackman has a better mindset to be the guy to eventually carry the Blues to the Cup. And you have to admit that Pronger is still prone to stupid penalties in the playoffs, whereas Jackman as rookie was able to goad other people like Nolan into taking stupid penalties. Jackman's really got his head on straight. I just hope his shoulder is too.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

BringBackZezel wrote: I'd much rather watch a team of young underachievers bust their asses than watch the Blues of the past few years annually underachieve.
ditto.

Of course, I'm concerned about how effective Kitch, operating with a one year contract, is going to be in motivating this squad.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Probably as good as could have been expected under the circumstances. Two other problems:

1. My wife no longer has someone she can boo on the home team. :)

2. When you see the guy on opening night in the upper deck with the "SAVE US, CUBES!" sign...that'll be me. :P

SmokeMorePot
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SmokeMorePot »

ksbluesfan wrote:
SmokeMorePot wrote:This is the end of hockey in St Louis. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, didn't you draft Eric Brewer in the mock draft?

;)
I made alot of mistakes in the mock draft.
ImageImageImage

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

I think the trade is the best we could've hope for. Brewer is a very solid player and the other two seem ready to move up to the bigs. You can never have enough young prospects on defense.

It's sad to see a player like Pronger go. It's so rare to watch a player fully develop from spaz to one of the best players in the league. Hopefully, we can all watch Jackman become an all-time Blue great.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Blue Chicago
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Blue Chicago »

After getting over my initial rage...
This is not a bad trade for the Blues, if either Woywitka or Lynch pan out. Brewer is not Pronger, but a good D-man. Still, there should have been a forward coming back to the Blues.
I am still frosted that Edmonton managed to sign Pronger for 5 years at $5.5M per season. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that a franchise with a star like Pronger locked in for 5 years is more valuable than one without it. Players like Pronger are few and far between.
Pleau needs to find a way to bring in some scoring or it is going to be a long year.

Topshelf331
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Topshelf331 »

Kid_A wrote:
LazyPenguin wrote:Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka.
I think that's a pretty good trade for the Blues. You guys got 2 young defenceman that, along with Jackman and Backman, will round up one of the most promising top 4 pairings in the Conference. Doug Lynch was a throw in.

You know its bad when you have a Canuck fan showing sympathy for you. :lol:

That being said , I think we traded the best defenseman in the league and since Bobby Orr. But I agree this helps by giving us a stable foundation for the future.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

FYI - TSN is now saying $6.25M a year for Pronger, so the radio report of $5.5M must have been wrong...
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Blue Chicago
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Blue Chicago »

OS wrote:FYI - TSN is now saying $6.25M a year for Pronger, so the radio report of $5.5M must have been wrong...
If that's the case, I feel a little better about things.

James636
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by James636 »

Brewer is still only 26, meaning, obviously, he hasn't even entered the prime of his career. He could be an OUTSTANDING player for the Blues.
"You f-cking got balls, you f-cking tit f-cker?"
-Bryan Trottier, to Brian Bellows, 1991 Stanley Cup Finals

http://66.98.192.76/broadstreetbully.com/bellows1.mpg

Rocketpop
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Rocketpop »

northwest dave wrote:I think the trade is the best we could've hope for. Brewer is a very solid player and the other two seem ready to move up to the bigs. You can never have enough young prospects on defense.

It's sad to see a player like Pronger go. It's so rare to watch a player fully develop from spaz to one of the best players in the league. Hopefully, we can all watch Jackman become an all-time Blue great.
If Jackman can stay healthy... He's had so many problems. I hope his shoulder stays solid. Repetitive injuries like that bother me.

I have a horrible feeling he screws his shoulder up again this year.
Signature removed by cprice12: Suggestive Avatar

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Hey, this is a ton better than getting NOTHING for him as a UFA next year.

I'm sad to see him go, but under the unfortunate circumstances of a lame duck owner, we got all we could get for him.
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

OS wrote:FYI - TSN is now saying $6.25M a year for Pronger, so the radio report of $5.5M must have been wrong...
Hmm that's odd...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

James636 wrote:Brewer is still only 26, meaning, obviously, he hasn't even entered the prime of his career. He could be an OUTSTANDING player for the Blues.
He's got the ability.

He might not be Pronger...but he's entering his prime...and he's a very good defenseman.

SlantEye
All-Star
All-Star

Post by SlantEye »

icing11 wrote:I'd like to read the Oiler fan's comments. Can someone please post a link to their message boards?
Don't have a link to their message boards but the comments here are pretty interesting and entertaining:
TSN.ca article on the Pronger/Brewer trade

[Yeah. I know. My sig pic is way out of date.]

SE
This message brought to you by SlantEye44@yahoo.com

TC

Post by TC »

Misc. Blues wrote:
Hmm that's odd...
yeah, what are the odds that the radio is wrong? :P