World Series: St. Louis Cardinals vs. Detroit Tigers

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who wins?

Cardinals
74%
Tigers
26%

Total votes: 43

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Congrats baseball/Cardinals fans. I wish they could have won this back in 1987 against the Twins when I was a boy and a fan. Hopefully, this does not shrink the coverage of the Blues even less and make them virtually non-existent. Anyway, I digress…no negativity, ENJOY THE MOMENT CARDS FANS! Huzzah!

Essembi
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Essembi »

Congrats on winning Cards fans. They stepped up and came through in the clutch and destroyed the Tigers. Relish it moreso since no one, including myself, thought that they would win yet were proven wrong.

Jeff Weaver just got himself a 10 mill per year contract with his performance tonight.
To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men. Ella Wheeler Wilcox
:firedevil: GET FLAMED!!!

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

FYI Cards' fans: Fox 2 states the parade will on Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

OS wrote:Cards in 5. :P
:!:
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

crazy blues fan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by crazy blues fan »

Aode wrote:F the Cardinals, I hope they get swept again
EAT IT Tool!!

Woo Hoo!
Thanks to Viper for the great sig!

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

crazy blues fan wrote:
EAT IT Tool!!

Woo Hoo!

:plusplus:
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

Bane
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Bane »

Greatest day of my life!!!

Sudsy11
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Sudsy11 »

I was 17 in 1982 and it was the thrill of a lifetime. This was pretty darn good too. My best friend was lucky enough to be at the game and called me right after it ended. I couldn't hear a word he said over all the celebrating. Hopefully we'll get to celebrate a Blues Cup someday too!
Question Authority

Topshelf331
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Topshelf331 »

I was stuck in Savannah,GA the last 3 weeks. Hockey hell.

But I still got to watch the cards. I was supposed to miss the game tonight on the way home. But the storm in Atlanta delayed my flight til 1a. I was stuck in a Sam Adams pub in the terminal witha bunch of other STL people/fans so it wasnt all that bad. We got to watch the whole game.

Tezmyster
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Tezmyster »

rebelmusic wrote:
crazy blues fan wrote:
EAT IT Tool!!

Woo Hoo!

:plusplus::plusplus::plusplus::plusplus::plusplus::plusplus::plusplus:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

:D

Here's the story from the bbc. The way they describe things is interesting to read:
the BBC wrote:Cardinals secure World Series win

St Louis claimed their first World Series in 24 years by beating the Detroit Tigers in Game Five on Friday.

The 4-2 victory at Busch Stadium gave the Cardinals an unassailable 4-1 lead in the best-of-seven game clash.

Adam Wainwright struck out Brandon Inge in the ninth inning to spark scenes of joy among the home crowd of 46,638.

It was the Cardinals' 10th overall championship and went some way to erasing the disappointment of Fall Classic losses in 1985, 1987 and 2004.

"Nobody believed in us but we believed in ourselves," said St Louis shortstop David Eckstein, who was named Most Valuable Player of the Series.

The diminutive lead-off hitter - at 5ft 7in one of the smallest players in the majors - batted .364, going 4-for-5 with three doubles in Game Four and 2-for-4 with two RBIs on Friday.

St Louis starter Jeff Weaver pitched eight brilliant innings, giving up two runs, only one earned, on four hits while striking out nine against his original team.

The victory capped a stunning post-season surge for the Cardinals, who were hit by injuries to key players and struggled to the finish line of the regular season.

Their 83 regular season wins were the fewest registered by a World Series champion.

St Louis shortstop David Eckstein was voted Most Valuable Player

But with the return to health of Jim Edmonds, Scott Rolen and Eckstein, they came together to beat San Diego and the New York Mets in the play-offs before defeating Detroit.

Victory also made St Louis coach Tony La Russa the second manager to win World Series with teams from both leagues.

La Russa, who won the 1989 World Series with the American League's Oakland Athletics, emulates Sparky Anderson, who led both the Cincinnati Reds (1975 and 1976) and Detroit (1984) to victory.

"I'm feeling so great for our team," said La Russa. "We went through so much. We wanted it so bad.

"We had so many players who had never won a ring. I'm just bursting. This is an experience I will never forget. It's the greatest."

Errors and miscues played a big part in Game Five, contested in windy, cold conditions.

The Tigers, who made eight errors overall for one of the worst displays of fielding in World Series history, opened the door with a gaffe in the fourth.

Yadier Molina and So Taguchi stroked one-out singles to put runners on first and second.

With pitcher Weaver coming to bat, Tigers coach Jim Leyland visited the mound, presumably to advise Verlander to take care fielding the expected bunt.

I didn't have the team ready to play the way it needed to play to win a World Series, so blame me

Detroit coach Jim Leyland

Weaver bunted directly back to Verlander, who hurried a wild throw to third that allowed Molina to score and put Taguchi on third and Weaver on second.

Eckstein followed with a smash at shortstop Carlos Guillen that scored Taguchi and put St Louis ahead 3-2.

Verlander's error was the second of the game for Detroit.

In the second inning, Inge threw wildly to first trying to throw out Eckstein, whose broken-bat grounder over the third base bag scored Molina to put the Cards up 1-0.

"I have no excuses," said Verlander. "I kind of pride myself on being an athlete on the mound and making plays like that. I haven't made a play like that all year."

Leyland defended his players and shouldered the blame.

"We don't single out any one player on this team any more," he said. "I didn't have the team ready to play the way it needed to play to win a World Series, so blame me."
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ledzeppelinfan1
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by ledzeppelinfan1 »

As much as the Cards sucked when I was a kid and followed them religiously, I'm proud to jump on this bandwagon with a hardy...

FUUUUCK YEAH!!! 8)

Go Redbirds!!!

Now if only the Note would ever win a Cup... :roll: 8)

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Bane wrote:Greatest day of my life!!!
Let us know when you discover women. :wink:

Getzkee
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Getzkee »

Congrats.
Busch stadium looks pretty nice in HD.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:Now if only the Note would ever win a Cup... :roll: 8)
Our day will come, my friend.......

Our day WILL come.......

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

It's too bad the Tigers beat themselves rather than the Cardinals beating the Tigers though.....

:wink: :wink:
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Aode

Post by Aode »

rebelmusic wrote:
crazy blues fan wrote:
EAT IT Tool!!

Woo Hoo!

Them winning doesn't make me hate them any less :lol: :lol:

Brewers fan- I'm all about the fan loyalty in sports- and I think that's something we can all understand being Blues fans...

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

ViPeRx007 wrote:It's too bad the Tigers beat themselves rather than the Cardinals beating the Tigers though.
The Cardinals beat them by not making as many errors.

8)
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:It's too bad the Tigers beat themselves rather than the Cardinals beating the Tigers though.....

The better team won.

Even if the Tigers didn't make error after error...they still weren't hitting at all.
The Cardinals pitching staff won this series by completely shutting down their offense.

The Tigers defense just helped the series get wrapped up in 5 games, instead of 6 games.

Outcome would have been the same.

8)

flgtr96
All-Star
All-Star

Post by flgtr96 »

cprice12 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:It's too bad the Tigers beat themselves rather than the Cardinals beating the Tigers though.....

The better team won.

Even if the Tigers didn't make error after error...they still weren't hitting at all.
The Cardinals pitching staff won this series by completely shutting down their offense.

The Tigers defense just helped the series get wrapped up in 5 games, instead of 6 games.

Outcome would have been the same.

8)

There is an old saying that says..."Take the victory and apologize later.."