World Series: St. Louis Cardinals vs. Detroit Tigers

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who wins?

Cardinals
74%
Tigers
26%

Total votes: 43

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

STAT OF THE NIGHT

Carpenter pitched 8 shutout innings.
Carpenter had allowed no walks.

No Detroit Tiger batter had a pitch-count with three balls!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:
Allblues555 wrote:I only want to know one thing -- is there a chance he'll be suspended for the rest of the series?
No. Don't be surprised to see him pitch in game 6.
There won't be a game 6.

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Allblues555 »

cprice12 wrote:
OPTIMEGUS wrote:
Allblues555 wrote:I only want to know one thing -- is there a chance he'll be suspended for the rest of the series?
There won't be a game 6.
Yeah, the game 2 win was huge. With Suppan and Carpenter pitching in 2-3 of the remaining games, I think the Cards can muster 2 more wins without too much trouble.
_____ _ _

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Allblues555 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
OPTIMEGUS wrote:
There won't be a game 6.
Yeah, the game 2 win was huge. With Suppan and Carpenter pitching in 2-3 of the remaining games, I think the Cards can muster 2 more wins without too much trouble.
According to Dave Murray, the prospects of playing the next two evenings are in serious jeopardy due to rain. If this happens, it gives us a chance to use Carpenter that much sooner...

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I was just about to ask how likely it was to rain tonight and delay the game. So that's a definite possibility, it sounds like?

We're expecting 4-6 inches of snow tonight in Denver, but it's not like there's ever baseball here in October... :lol:
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Allblues555 »

BF44 wrote:
Allblues555 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
OPTIMEGUS wrote:
There won't be a game 6.
According to Dave Murray, the prospects of playing the next two evenings are in serious jeopardy due to rain. If this happens, it gives us a chance to use Carpenter that much sooner...
It is drizzling now in Columbia, which means it is bound to be rainy in STL tonight. But rainy enough?
_____ _ _

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

RADAR

Looks like we'll get some rain...but not enough to cancel the game.

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

cprice12 wrote:RADAR

Looks like we'll get some rain...but not enough to cancel the game.
I will be freezing my butt off in 509...

Oz167
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Oz167 »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:STAT OF THE NIGHT

Carpenter pitched 8 shutout innings.
Carpenter had allowed no walks.

No Detroit Tiger batter had a pitch-count with three balls!
another nice stat for Carp.. 82 pitches
Official LGB Sponsor of TJ Oshie

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Ain't no rain in hockey...

:D

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

SIU LAW wrote:Ain't no rain in hockey...

:D
I don't even care about hockey right now... Have a heart. lol

THIS RAIN NEEDS TO (Franking) END!!!!!!!! :x :x :x

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Cmon MLB... wait a little longer.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

GAME 4 = POSTPONED

Hey, on the bright side we might get to see Rogers a game earlier!!!

Yahoo!!
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

ViPeRx007 wrote:GAME 4 = POSTPONED

Yahoo!!
Damn, I wanted them to play just so baseball people would stfu already. I don't care who wins, just get it over with and off the tv already.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:GAME 4 = POSTPONED

Yahoo!!
Damn, I wanted them to play just so baseball people would stfu already. I don't care who wins, just get it over with and off the tv already.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

:shock:

Uh-oh, not_a_wings_fan. Prepare yourself for the ANGER OF THE BATS (upside your head).

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

SIU LAW wrote::shock:

Uh-oh, not_a_wings_fan. Prepare yourself for the ANGER OF THE BATS (upside your head).
I'll take. I'm unapologetic for the fact that there is no reason to play baseball at the end of october and even less reason in november. It's hockey/football season. Get 'er done!

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Zumaya-gate springs to life
Jayson Stark

ST. LOUIS -- If there's one thing this World Series needs, other than emergency dome-implant surgery, it's a controversial story line that doesn't involve Kenny Rogers.

Well, voila. Welcome to Zumaya-gate.

Unlike Dirtgate, you probably missed Zumaya-gate on Tuesday because the Fox crew never picked up on it. But here's the deal:

A very peculiar thing happened inside Busch Stadium in Game 3 when the hardest-throwing human being on our beloved planet, Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya, entered the game.

All night long, the stadium radar board and the Fox TV radar-gun readings had been virtually identical. Oh, a mph apart every now and then, maybe. But nothing noticeable.

Then Zumaya showed up, machine-gunning his usual assortment of 99s, 100s and 101s all over your TV screen. But if you were listening at home for the oohs and ahs those gun readings usually elicit, you might have noticed there were none.

Why? Because, in Busch Stadium, the 46,000 folks watching all this live kept seeing a radar board showing mostly 95s and 96s. Pitch after pitch. On one particularly weird occasion, Zumaya launched a heaterball that Fox showed at 101 -- and it came up at 95 in the ballpark.

"Really?" gulped Tigers closer Todd Jones on Wednesday. "Maybe it was 95 Canadian. ... Or metric."

Sure. Or Celsius.

Or -- if you're a conspiratorial kind of reader -- La Russius.

Yes, friends. There were some idle suspicions being voiced anonymously in that Tigers clubhouse that the Cardinals asked the radar-board gang to deliberately devalue Zumaya's gun scores. So why would they even think to do that? Who knows?

To mess with Zumaya's head? So their hitters wouldn't be terrified by seeing such scary numbers up there? So they could pretend the guy was more hittable than he normally is?

Tell us that makes any sense.

"Oh, it's 102," Jones said. "And if you don't believe it, just get a bat and helmet and stand in the box, because I've seen it too many times to doubt his fastball."

Hey, excellent point. It's not as if those radar boards have sci-fi-ish, radar-board-over-matter powers, where, by displaying a slower pitch speed, they could actually slow the ball down to make it travel at that speed. Right?

And if they could, wouldn't they show it puttering along at 75 -- not 95?

Not that you should ever trust any radar-gun readings, you understand. Especially if they involve steering wheels, flashing lights, gas pedals and your right foot mysteriously attached to those gas pedals.

But this was one disparity that seemed especially odd, given that it existed only for Zumaya -- not for anyone else who pitched. And, in our continuing efforts to provide you only the most journalistically sound radar-gun information possible, we even veered away from our own spectacular Web site and double-checked Zumaya's readings on MLB.com's GameDay log.

They jibed with Fox's numbers -- not the stadium board's.

Hmmm. So what's up with that, anyway?

Zumaya, for one, had no idea. He told Booth Newspapers' Danny Knobler, the only writer to write about this strangeness Tuesday night, that he normally checks the board to monitor his gun numbers, but he didn't in this game.

His teammate, Justin Verlander, did, however. And he was so alarmed by what he saw -- and worried Zumaya might be hurt -- he told Knobler he ran up to the clubhouse just to check Fox's readings. He felt a lot better afterward.

A day later, the Tigers weren't ready to convene any Congressional Zumaya-gate hearings, though. If anything, they were highly amused by the whole deal.

"It's a great day," Jones quipped, "when you can lose eight miles an hour -- and still throw 95."
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

LazyPenguin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by LazyPenguin »

Fox sucks. Period.

It has been so obvious all post-season that they have been boosting their radar readings.

How pathetic was it that Zumaya got his on "montage" when he entered the game? He's a (Franking) middle reliever for Christ's sake!!!

I could go on about Fox's coverage of this post-season forever, but I'll stop with this.

Tim McCarver

LP
Official LGB Sponsor of Erik Johnson

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

Sure they overhype certain things...frankly I don't care. I only care that the Cardinals win two more games...