Per Strickland; Weight/Birner/8th for Andy McDonald

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

richtedm wrote:
(KSDK) - The St. Louis Cardinals have agreed to a trade that will send center fielder Jim Edmonds to the San Diego Padres, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Friday night.

The Padres will get Single-A third baseman David Freese and at least $1 million from the Cardinals to help offset Edmonds' $8 million salary, the paper reported.
I think they seriously gave him away. No, they PAID the Padres to take him.

Jim and Doug in the same day. Who knew that would happen?

I'm going to link the two trades... St. Louis sends Doug Weight, Jim Edmonds, $1 million, and a minor leaguer to San Diego and Anaheim for Andy McDonald.
Well, this is effing super. Two of my favorites gone in the same effing day. I'm OK with the Weight thing because the Blues at least got something out of the deal other than a referral to the Rape Crisis Hotline. WTF are the Cards "freeing up money" for? Is there another Kip Wells on the horizon? Ooh, be still my beating heart.

Son of a bitch.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Prngr44 wrote:Everyone keeps saying JD, JD, JD.... what if... no it couldn't be....
certainly it's not... Pleau's doing??

Say it ain't so!!
I'm pretty sure he just tidies up the office these days, and occasionally ventures out into the stands disguised as Louie. :wink:

Mayersfan21
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Mayersfan21 »

I do wish the timing was better for the publicity but honestly the Cardinals would have faked FredBird's bloody death to get the Mitchell name off the front page for 24 hours.

As said many times this makes a lot of sense but I don't see how you knock 6 years off of a players life (AM v. DW ages) and aren't happy about what we are getting.

JP, LP, Al... I really don't care who is pulling the trigger on this stuff! I wouldn't dream of touching a thing in the process at this point and that includes LP! He's been left to be the phone line hermit that he's very respectable at and isn't giving the worst TV and Radio interviews known to man kind.

For those who have never seen it there is a very great picture of Dougie and the SC at Carl's Drive In?!?! Which also serves some of the best burger joint food in? the STL era.

Best of luck to the old man and bring on the 30 year old.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon-

Love Dougie, I was a huge fan of him even before he came to STL. I think tho that this is one of the smartest trades the Blues could make. Who woulda guessed we would get a proven-NHL center for Weight at this point in his career? Friggin insane.

JD,LP, who the frank ever, great move!
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

execwrite
All-Star
All-Star

Post by execwrite »

Great move. Taking advantage of Anaheim's cap problems next year.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

“I was shocked for sure,” Birner said. “I asked the team for a trade or to let me go to Europe, so I knew something was going to happen.
Let's see... he asked to be traded, or allowed to return to Europe....and then when he is traded....he's "shocked"??
Guessing his light bulb is stuck on dim....

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

Blueline29 wrote:
richtedm wrote:
(KSDK) - The St. Louis Cardinals have agreed to a trade that will send center fielder Jim Edmonds to the San Diego Padres, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Friday night.

The Padres will get Single-A third baseman David Freese and at least $1 million from the Cardinals to help offset Edmonds' $8 million salary, the paper reported.

I'm going to link the two trades... St. Louis sends Doug Weight, Jim Edmonds, $1 million, and a minor leaguer to San Diego and Anaheim for Andy McDonald.
Well, this is effing super. Two of my favorites gone in the same effing day. I'm OK with the Weight thing because the Blues at least got something out of the deal other than a referral to the Rape Crisis Hotline. WTF are the Cards "freeing up money" for? Is there another Kip Wells on the horizon? Ooh, be still my beating heart.

Son of a bitch.
Him being one of your favorites notwithstanding, Edmonds had to go. He was an albatross on this team...you have to play him because of what you're paying him, and by doing that, you guarantee yourself a .240 hitter with 200 strikeouts and no power. Goodbye Jim.

Ehijo
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Ehijo »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon-

Love Dougie, I was a huge fan of him even before he came to STL. I think tho that this is one of the smartest trades the Blues could make. Who woulda guessed we would get a proven-NHL center for Weight at this point in his career? Friggin insane.

JD,LP, who the frank ever, great move!
I'm right there with you. :plusplus: :carrot:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I feel bad for Strickland. He is no longer going to be able to attempt fellatio on Dougie at every turn. He will also have trouble claiming Weight is his best buddy all over town.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

SIU LAW wrote:I feel bad for Strickland. He is no longer going to be able to attempt fellatio on Dougie at every turn. He will also have trouble claiming Weight is his best buddy all over town.
No, now we'll get Anaheim Ducks updates.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

OS wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:I feel bad for Strickland. He is no longer going to be able to attempt fellatio on Dougie at every turn. He will also have trouble claiming Weight is his best buddy all over town.
His information will dry up once he tries set up a three-way between him, Prongs and Weight.

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
His information will dry up once he tries set up a three-way between him, Prongs and Weight.
What information? He is a joke.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

tsblue wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
Well, he was the first one to break this trade. So he must have some information.

FloPoErich
All-Star
All-Star

Post by FloPoErich »

OS wrote:
tsblue wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
Well, he was the first one to break this trade. So he must have some information.
That's what I was thinking...
I don't get why everyone bashes the lack of Blues coverage, but then also bashes the #2 Blues reporter in town... :roll:

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

tsblue wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
Andy Strickland wrote: Teh Bluz are looking to win some of the games. I heard thye are willing to trade Carey for someone else, possibly a goalie in the Western conference.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

FloPoErich wrote: I don't get why everyone bashes the lack of Blues coverage, but then also bashes the #2 Blues reporter in town... :roll:
Agreed. I mean, some of the stuff he writes is off the wall BS or irrelevant information on a topic no one could a rats ass about. (i.e. how much fun EJ is having with Al's kids, etc)

But he does seem to know a little info. I'd be more impressed if he would have blogged about Dougie turning down the trade earlier in the week. That would show a little more credibility. As opposed to his post-trade dissertation on how this whole thing went down.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

Carl Racki wrote:
Blueline29 wrote:
richtedm wrote:

Son of a bitch.
Him being one of your favorites notwithstanding, Edmonds had to go. He was an albatross on this team...you have to play him because of what you're paying him, and by doing that, you guarantee yourself a .240 hitter with 200 strikeouts and no power. Goodbye Jim.
I know...cerebrally, I know all of that. I'm just disappointed (and sad) and pissed off that they didn't get anything more for him. Perhaps they were hoping that people'd be excited that the Cards're getting a hometown kid in the fold or something (and it is cool that he went to the same HS I did) but he's never produced above A ball?!

Oh, and all of this is coming on the heels of their decision not to exercise the team option or whatever it was they had on Edmonds after 2006....instead, they re-sign him to a 2-year deal and then turn around and trade him for squat? WTF?!

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

I wouldn't put all that much stock into the fact that Freese hasn't played above A ball. The Padres have another 3B prospect they had playing at AA this year so Freese was held up in High A even though he was more than ready to move up.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

OS wrote:I wouldn't put all that much stock into the fact that Freese hasn't played above A ball. The Padres have another 3B prospect they had playing at AA this year so Freese was held up in High A even though he was more than ready to move up.
Dammit, OS, the mood I'm in has no use for logic!

:lol:

Tezmyster
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Tezmyster »

Ok, to add my 2c to this. Excuse the pun but Weight hasn't really been pulling his weight around the team, not until recently anyway. I think this is almost like the offloading of Cajanek where it's a warning to the other players where if you do you job and get the numbers you'll be gone. The team is playing well right now and the fact that Weight hasn't been scoring hasn't had that much of an effect, fingers crossed McDonald is a good fit and he can put some on the board.