Per Strickland; Weight/Birner/8th for Andy McDonald

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

Ehijo
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Ehijo »

the knob wrote:Haven't been able to follow hockey news the past couple days as I've been away from the comptuer for a bit, but the below was posted to the hockey forum of a poker site I read. The person is allegedly someone in the know in the Toronto (I think) area, take it with a grain of salt as all rumors of course:

Alright, only from one source, and I'm not sure if this is gospel or not... I only had time to make one phone call.... putting up the Christmas tree today...

The Blues approached the Ducks to see if they wanted to unload someone to clear cap space. They offered up Weight, and had the structure of a deal. Weight refused to waive his NTC. The Blues told him if he refused the trade, he would be put on waivers, and be thrown to the wind to be claimed. Weight took this as a personal insult from a team he felt was part of his character.
I'll try to follow up to see if this is actually true...
Well, that sure sounds interesting... I'm sure it's not completely true , though.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

drwoland wrote:
the knob wrote:Haven't been able to follow hockey news the past couple days as I've been away from the comptuer for a bit, but the below was posted to the hockey forum of a poker site I read. The person is allegedly someone in the know in the Toronto (I think) area, take it with a grain of salt as all rumors of course:

Alright, only from one source, and I'm not sure if this is gospel or not... I only had time to make one phone call.... putting up the Christmas tree today...

The Blues approached the Ducks to see if they wanted to unload someone to clear cap space. They offered up Weight, and had the structure of a deal. Weight refused to waive his NTC. The Blues told him if he refused the trade, he would be put on waivers, and be thrown to the wind to be claimed. Weight took this as a personal insult from a team he felt was part of his character.
That does not make any sense. Why would we waive Weight, who had been playing the #1 center spot for us and had been on some sort of hot streak the past couple of weeks? We'd get no replacement in return. We have nobody in the organization ready to step up. This rumor just doesn't make sense.
We may not have actually gone through with it, but it was probably threatened to get him to waive his NTC. Weight may not have wanted to try and call the Blues bluff and risk being wrong.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I think they probably told him that they had no plans to resign him and that's why he's pissed.

Waiving him would make no sense what-so-ever for anyone.

Johnny_Hangover
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Johnny_Hangover »

I'd like to think that it wouldn't go down as coldly as that, but considering you have a guy who doesn't want to leave and won't waive his NTC, with as much to gain as the Blues had, maybe the front office played hardball. It would definitely explain Weight's reaction to the whole affair.

The thing I remember most about the Blues show on KMOX the night of the trade was how exhausted JD seemed. He really sounded like hell. Imagine being that guy, having to dump off someone that's universally lauded as being such a great guy, and locker room asset, yadayadayada. The guy absolutely doesn't want to leave, but you have a chance at a serious upgrade for your team for the rest of this season and the next. You either play hard ball, or drop the matter.

Not to say that's definitively what went down, but it makes sense.

Mark
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Mark »

Ehijo wrote:The Blues approached the Ducks to see if they wanted to unload someone to clear cap space. They offered up Weight, and had the structure of a deal. Weight refused to waive his NTC. The Blues told him if he refused the trade, he would be put on waivers, and be thrown to the wind to be claimed. Weight took this as a personal insult from a team he felt was part of his character.
Well, that sure sounds interesting... I'm sure it's not completely true , though.[/quote]

I've been wondering about this since it went down. I've heard Andy Strickland say a few times on the radio that Weight had "no choice" in the matter. Well, a NTC usually gives a player a choice. But, if his choice was to waive the NTC or being tossed out via waivers with the possibility of going anywhere, then it makes some sense that he waived his NTC. It all makes real sense to me, especially in light of Weight's reaction to the trade in the media...
I can't pronounce Carlo Colaiacovo's name, but I sure can be the OFFICIAL LGB SPONSOR OF CARLO COLAIACOVO!!

Ehijo
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Ehijo »

kodos wrote:I think they probably told him that they had no plans to resign him and that's why he's pissed.

Waiving him would make no sense what-so-ever for anyone.
I agree to this. The "change your mind or we'll put you on waiver's" conspiracy seems a little far fetched. I mean, putting Weight on waivers would make little sense. Who would they replace him with? The rest of the players would be pissed etc etc.

Johnny_Hangover
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Johnny_Hangover »

ISSA STRONG TACTIK U SEE

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Here's a new game... guess how many points Weight will score when the Blues play the Ducks in February.

I bet he gets 2 goals and 2 assists.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

kodos wrote:Here's a new game... guess how many points Weight will score when the Blues play the Ducks in February.

I bet he gets 2 goals and 2 assists.
I bet he's injured.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Donuts_For_Koharski
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Donuts_For_Koharski »

Mark wrote:I've been wondering about this since it went down. I've heard Andy Strickland say a few times on the radio that Weight had "no choice" in the matter. Well, a NTC usually gives a player a choice. But, if his choice was to waive the NTC or being tossed out via waivers with the possibility of going anywhere, then it makes some sense that he waived his NTC. It all makes real sense to me, especially in light of Weight's reaction to the trade in the media...
I agree. After hearing Doug's and Andy's comments on it, I think it is a very plausible scenario from a strictly business standpoint. If Doug had been playing better, this wouldn't even been an issue. Now from a PR/player perspective, I am not sure how such treatment would be accepted by his peers. I am sure this is not the first time this has happened though. I feel bad for Doug b/c he has been loyal to the team, but this organization is getting ready to enter a significant youth movement. Weight is best suited as a 3rd line center, which was the role he player in Carolina.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

FWIW, I just heard on Home Ice that the Blues had scouts at the Sharks-Ducks game Sunday night. Of course, so did 13 other teams :shock: , but I thought it was still interesting.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Blueline29 wrote:FWIW, I just heard on Home Ice that the Blues had scouts at the Sharks-Ducks game Sunday night. Of course, so did 13 other teams :shock: , but I thought it was still interesting.
Brewer for Cheechoo!!!!!
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

ohio BLUES wrote:
Blueline29 wrote:FWIW, I just heard on Home Ice that the Blues had scouts at the Sharks-Ducks game Sunday night. Of course, so did 13 other teams :shock: , but I thought it was still interesting.
Brewer for Pronger!!!!! Then sign Selanne!!!!
FTFY
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

OS wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:
FTFY
Well yeah, but I was trying to be semi-realistic :lol:

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

ohio BLUES wrote:
OS wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:
FTFY
Sadly, if you want to be realistic, you can't suggest trading Brewer. :cry:
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

OS wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:
OS wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:
FTFY
Sadly, if you want to be realistic, you can't suggest trading Brewer. :cry:
Could it be that Murray's playing him so much and Blues brass/press contacts are talking him up so much because they are super-secretly looking to deal him for a real NHL player? One can hope, at least... :x

Ehijo
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Ehijo »

If the reason Weight got to play on the first line was to spike his numbers and showcase him for an eventual trade (it worked!), they should put Rucinsky on there next.

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

In 29 games Doug Weight had 4g and 7a with the Blues...

Andy McDonald did the same thing in 10 games with the Blues.

We win!

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: runescape shop

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

shufei4353504 wrote:how can i make runescape money fast??
Thou hast defiled a dug waitz thread? For shame, robit!
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!