GDT SCF Gm 7: 6/12/19 | 7 PM CT | @ Bruins | NBC

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT SCF Gm 7: 6/12/19 | 7 PM CT | @ Bruins | NBC

Post by theohall »

The city of Boston has celebrated more than its fair share of sports championships in recent years, but never before has it played host to Game 7 of a Stanley Cup Final.

That will change after Wednesday, when the Bruins take on the St. Louis Blues in the winner-take-all showdown. The matchup marks the 17th time the finals have gone seven games, with the home team winning 12 of the previous instances.

"We're expecting the fans to be awesome," Boston forward Patrice Bergeron said. "Obviously the energy is going to be electric. The atmosphere is going to be -- I can't even imagine how it's going to be like. You have to manage that in a way, use that to your advantage."

The Bruins are looking to capture their seventh NHL championship, having last hoisted the Stanley Cup in 2011. The Blues seek their first after entering the series 0-12 between three previous trips to the finals.

St. Louis had a chance to close things out at home in Game 6 on Sunday, but Boston, invigorated by a pregame speech from Bergeron, dominated the contest from the start, ultimately winning 5-1.

"When he talks, everyone listens," Bruins defenseman Torey Krug said. "Any time a guy like that speaks up, you listen. Obviously a huge motivating factor, got the guys going for sure."

Bergeron's top line also got going in the game, with wingers Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak each registering a goal and an assist. The trio was off to a slow start early in the series, paving the way for players such as Charlie Coyle (three goals in the finals) and Sean Kuraly (five points) to carry the offense.

"The big players tend to step up because they're the better players, but when it's the other guys, it's because the rest of the guys have done their job so the game hasn't gotten away from you," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "That's been our deal all year."

The Blues, conversely, are still looking for more from some of their biggest offensive threats. Jaden Schwartz, the team's leading goal-scorer in the playoffs with 12, has yet to find net this series, while Vladimir Tarasenko has gone without a point the last two games.

"It's been a tight series," Schwartz said. "This time of the year, it's dirty goals. Even from the goal line, we can do a better job of jamming pucks, finding guys open."

On the power play is where the Blues could use the biggest boost. While Boston is 7 of 21 with the man advantage in the finals, St. Louis is 1 of 18, its only marker coming in Game 3.

"I thought the adjustments we made for Game 6 at home, we had good looks," Blues coach Craig Berube said. "But I know we need results."

Coming back from last place in the NHL as recently as Jan. 2, the Blues continue to hitch their wagon to rookie goaltender Jordan Binnington. The 25-year-old allowed four goals on 31 shots in Game 6 but is 7-2 following a loss this postseason.

On the other side, Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask appears to be the front-runner for the Conn Smythe Trophy awarded to the MVP of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Rask stopped 28 of 29 shots Sunday and has a 1.93 goals-against average and a .938 save percentage this postseason.

The Blues will get forward Ivan Barbashev back after he was suspended for Game 6 following an illegal check in Game 5. Bruins defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (concussion) practiced in a non-contact jersey Tuesday and is likely to be a game-time decision Wednesday night.

A Game 7 victory for Boston would be the city's 13th championship across the four major North American sports since 2000. Both the MLB's Boston Red Sox and NFL's New England Patriots have won in the past year.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT SCF Gm 7: 6/12/19 | 7 PM CT | @ Bruins | NBC

Post by glen a richter »

Theo, thanks for setting up the GDT's all season!

Key to tonight: Don't suck, just don't suck. Hit everything that moves, understand that you can't be suspended for game 8 because there's no such thing as a game 8. You deal with the suspensions later, but right now you just go out there and hit everything that moves (legally enough to avoid penalties, of course). If you happen to get some power plays, try to actually convert on them, try to get an early lead, try to build on the early lead, try to take the Boston crowd out of it, and for crissake Binnington, have the game of your life. This magical ride started with a shutout way back when it was freezing out and the team was playing like absolute trash, try to bookend it with another shutout when it's warm out and the team is playing respectable(ish) hockey.

I have a general idea how this one will end, and I don't think it'll end in our favor, but that's why they play the game. Let's see a Wednesday Night Miracle.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I can't handle this, I'm going to be a bigger mess than I was on Sunday. Ugh. But LETS DO THIS

Blues 4 (EN)
Bruins 2

repeat of Game 4, hopefully.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Shout out to Theo for posting the GDTs!

I've been all over the road trying to guess how it'll go tonight. Still hard to believe it's come down to this, a game 7 for the Cup. It seems like after decades it's just hope for the best expect the worst.

:goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Jordan Binnington may not be nervous..........but I am.

Let's Go BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUES
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. I think Boston has the edge, as any team coming off a win playing at home would, but this isn't 1970. They aren't far and away better than us. ANYTHING can happen in a single game. Just go win a road game boys. Just win the damn game.

please
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Thanks for all the GDTs theo, you rule all.

GAME 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, and the Blues are in it. I'm already freaking out and the game is still something like 9 hours away. I can't make any predictions or give any advice. Like Yoda said, "Already know that which you need."

LET'S GO BLUES!!!

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Thanks for the shoutouts!

LET'S GO BLUES!!!

:goblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Word is Gryzelcyk will be back for the Bruins, so that's inspiring... for them.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Eddy re-inserted into the lineup in place of Bortz. Chief wants more lefty sticks in there.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

It's important that Binnington get a few light touches of the puck in the early minutes to settle the nerves. Worst thing for a goalie is starting a game and not touching the puck for like 5 minutes or more. My son is a goalie and is always the most vulnerable in the first 2 minutes. My wife and I know that if he gets past that with a few touches he then settles down.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

If I were Boston D men, I'd bounce a few on goal in the early going.

If I'm the Blues, I want the exact same start tonight that we had in Game 6....only put one or two of those bisquits into the basket.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If that opportunity I think it was Pietrangelo had, the one where McAvoy swatted it out from behind Rask, if that one went in game 6 goes so differently. The Blues knew they were snakebit and played like it in the 3rd. If they’re tied or ahead in the 3rd they have a chance, if they’re behind at any point in the game they’re fucked.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

StL Dan wrote:Eddy re-inserted into the lineup in place of Bortz. Chief wants more lefty sticks in there.
Thomas out, Barbashev in.

That injury must be something major. Thomas didn't look like himself last game so I don't blame the coach but it must be really bugging him.

That means we'll have Sammy Blais, Zach Sanford, Ivan Barbashev and Oscar Sundqvist in as important players for the Blues in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. You know... like we all predicted back in October. :P
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:...like we all predicted back in October. :P
I resemble that remark. Stunned how important Sundqvist and Barbashev are to shutting down the Bruins.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
StL Dan wrote:Eddy re-inserted into the lineup in place of Bortz. Chief wants more lefty sticks in there.
Thomas out, Barbashev in.

That injury must be something major. Thomas didn't look like himself last game so I don't blame the coach but it must be really bugging him.

That means we'll have Sammy Blais, Zach Sanford, Ivan Barbashev and Oscar Sundqvist in as important players for the Blues in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. You know... like we all predicted back in October. :P
Tough deal for Thomas - I agree, he wasn't able to be as effective as he'd like in Gm 6. Wish he was healthy so he could celly on the ice with the boys after the game.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Pretty unreal this is about to happen. :shock:

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

I can't handle this :aaaa:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Checking in! Blues need to play a simple game. Want to win it more than The Bruins. Be willing to do whatever is necessary. Take the puck from them, and keep it until it goes into THEIR net! Attack! ATTACK! ATTACK THE NET! Shoot continuously at the net. Win this game! Win The Stanley Cup!!! Go Blues!!! :goblues: :goblues: :goblues: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a good thing to do early, taking a needless, careless penalty. But The Blues' skaters and Binnington have played VERY Well ,so far. With only 8 seconds left in the penalty. And they KILL it!!!