GDT #63: Flames @ Blues, 1 Mar 2011, 7:00pm

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: GDT #63: Flames @ Blues, 1 Mar 2011, 7:00pm

Post by northwest dave »

I heard Maxim Bets might be a pretty good player. Can't wait to see him in the Note!

How about that Bret Hedican...fast skater from the blue line...Paul Coffey like.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I thought they had a chance to win that game going into the 3rd. I was wrong. But this has no bearing on the rebuild. This game isn't an indication of anything, especially when you're rolling out Cracknell, Reaves, Porter, Cam, etc.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:I thought they had a chance to win that game going into the 3rd. I was wrong. But this has no bearing on the rebuild. This game isn't an indication of anything, especially when you're rolling out Cracknell, Reaves, Porter, Cam, etc.
+1
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

You don't think that it's an indication on the rebuild when we're X years into it and the team is just about in last place? It's not an indication when you bring up a bunch of players from Peoria and none of them can remotely hang at the NHL level?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

How much (Franking) ice time did Janssen get tonight? Seemed like every other shift he was out there. Thats gonna win ya games right there.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

philco_3 wrote:How much (Frank) ice time did Janssen get tonight? Seemed like every other shift he was out there. Thats gonna win ya games right there.
Just checked, it was just under 8 minutes, but good god it felt like it was for ever.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

philco_3 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:How much (Frank) ice time did Janssen get tonight? Seemed like every other shift he was out there. Thats gonna win ya games right there.
Just checked, it was just under 8 minutes, but good god it felt like it was for ever.
He better enjoy his icetime, because I can't see him back in 11/12.

I guess you can say the team responded the wrong way after the trades.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Nyghtewynd wrote:You don't think that it's an indication on the rebuild when we're X years into it and the team is just about in last place? It's not an indication when you bring up a bunch of players from Peoria and none of them can remotely hang at the NHL level?

ladies and gentlemen.....we have a winner!

That said, I think Armstrong can and will right the ship, but this organization's lack of depth in developmental forwards is alarming.

Yesterday in an interview with Bernie M, Army said he envisions using the extra picks he's acquired along with some of the organizations prospects (he must be talking about defensemen) to trade for NHL talent at the draft.

Don't get ahead of yourself and think he's referring to top six forwards, in and NBC interview he admitted that the organization did not have the money to make big moves to take a run at it at the trade deadline (the first I've ever heard him admit money was an issue)

But he's going to have to trade those assets to acquire third and fourth line forwards that we should have been able to develop on our own.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

One of the few times I have left a game early. That was just plum awful. :facepalm:
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

My kid unplugged my TiVo power cord at some point in the afternoon and this game didn't get recorded. Normally this would be something that would upset me, but nope. GOOD JOB!

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Let's be honest here. The team just dumped 1/5 of their players for draft picks. They aren't going to be winning many games for the rest of the year.

I'm 100% fine with that as long as they make some decent moves in the offseason to restock this roster with actual NHL players.

As far as I'm concerned, the more they lose at this point the better.

purple_haze
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by purple_haze »

i can't believe how we just played the third period like lifeless bums?

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Yeah, I get to go to about 5 games a year. That was one of them. What a stinker.

And of course people in my section were Booing/taunting Bishop. That dude deserved a way better game. I'd say only one of the 5 goals in the third was soft (the power play goal)
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:You don't think that it's an indication on the rebuild when we're X years into it and the team is just about in last place? It's not an indication when you bring up a bunch of players from Peoria and none of them can remotely hang at the NHL level?

ladies and gentlemen.....we have a winner!

That said, I think Armstrong can and will right the ship, but this organization's lack of depth in developmental forwards is alarming.

Yesterday in an interview with Bernie M, Army said he envisions using the extra picks he's acquired along with some of the organizations prospects (he must be talking about defensemen) to trade for NHL talent at the draft.

Don't get ahead of yourself and think he's referring to top six forwards, in and NBC interview he admitted that the organization did not have the money to make big moves to take a run at it at the trade deadline (the first I've ever heard him admit money was an issue)

But he's going to have to trade those assets to acquire third and fourth line forwards that we should have been able to develop on our own.
I think it's an indication that it is slower than you expected, but that's about it. It isn't a sign that it's a failure yet though. 3 years from now, if we're where we are now, we can start calling it a failure.

IMO, it's just incomplete atm. Most people on this board seem to think the Blues are on their way up in the coming years, so calling it a failure is premature.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Failure might be premature, but it's definitely in the process of failing.

This team should be better by now. Way better.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote: I think it's an indication that it is slower than you expected, but that's about it. It isn't a sign that it's a failure yet though. 3 years from now, if we're where we are now, we can start calling it a failure.

IMO, it's just incomplete atm. Most people on this board seem to think the Blues are on their way up in the coming years, so calling it a failure is premature.
otto

Yes we are on the way up......we're at the franking bottom. There is no where to go but up.

There is a lot of youth to be excited about, however.....

I do think they could have done a better job developing and acquiring talent, and I think the financial constraints will hurt us more in the offseason then most seem to expect.

If everything goes right next year...we'll be watching the standings every day at this point trying to project what it's going to take to secure the 7th or 8th seed, and that's fine.....

I just think two years ago many of use thought we'd be further along then this.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

kodos wrote:Failure might be premature, but it's definitely in the process of failing.

Or, it could be in the process of succeeding, just at a slower pace than we had hoped. I too thought that we would be further along by now, but, I still think this group can win a cup. They obviously need to add some key players. But I would not be at all surprised to see Backes, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, etc. winning the cup together while on the Blues at some point.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

DaDitka wrote:

This is what frustrated me about the Winchester trade. I understand all the rest. But Winchester was a very servicable 3rd/4th line player for cheap. No reason to recreate the wheel with that trade. Unless you can sign him for the same price next year.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
kodos wrote:Failure might be premature, but it's definitely in the process of failing.

Or, it could be in the process of succeeding, just at a slower pace than we had hoped. I too thought that we would be further along by now, but, I still think this group can win a cup. They obviously need to add some key players. But I would not be at all surprised to see Backes, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, etc. winning the cup together while on the Blues at some point.
Give me some of what you're drinking. Oshie and Berglund looked awful last night. They both show flashes, but thats it, flashes. They're to inconsistent to even come close to winning the cup with this core.