NHL TV Rights Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

NHL TV Rights Thread

Post by dmiles2186 »

There's been rumblings that ESPN is very interested in getting back into the fold to carry NHL games. While I think all of us agree that the exposure of the games would go up, ESPN could water down the product too. Say what you will about VS but they cover the NHL well since its their premium sport. I opened up ESPN.com today and this is what I found...

That's the main page, the main 'tab' of sports stories if you will. I've noticed the last few years, especially during the playoffs, the NHL coverage has gone up on ESPN. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or if they are trying to prove to the NHL their merit in how they would cover the game, even though 90% of their anchors butcher names other than Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.

I know we've all talked about this before, but with the rights up after this year, I figured I'd make a thread to talk about it, but also post any news/stories as they come out on where the rights negotiations are going.

The NHL is at a point where it could possibly increase interest by quite a bit, almost to mid-90's levels. The NFL is in a labor dispute. The NBA is coming up to that point right behind them. The two other winter sports could be down this year, the NHL could be the only sport with games and in the spotlight.

This time around with the TV Rights, it's much more interesting, as before (post-lockout), no one wanted anything to do with the NHL. Now, the property is growing, it has stars, a devoted fan base, and its an exciting product. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: NHL TV Rights Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'd like it to go to ESPN. I don't care for versus very much. I also miss Sunday and Wednesday Night Hockey with Gary Thorne and Bill Clement.

Their anchors are terrible w/ names though, I agree. Neil Everrett pronounced Oshie w/ a short O lol.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I have one major fear with ESPN getting the rights and that's with more 'nationally televised games' will come more games that ESPN has the broadcast rights to and will elect to not broadcast or even allow local broadcast up against the national game they decide to air.

My guess is it would result in anywhere for 2 to 4 game less games aired live.

As fr the NHL it would be GREAT.....for Blues fans...it would probably mean a couple less games aired (unless we are really good and they chose to air our game....though unlikely with our market)

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

VS has been just fine, but the NHL needs to be on ESPN.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

While that main page is up there now, it's only because the NHL playoffs start tonight. As soon as the NBA playoffs start, forget about seeing the NHL on ESPN's main page until the Stanley Cup Finals.

There is nothing really going on in sports other than ESPN's Red Sox fighting for last place. They sure don't want to brag about that. NBA Eastern conference playoffs are already set, but they are still finishing their regular season games. Nothing to discuss there. There isn't a major golf, tennis or any other kind of tournament arising this weekend. So... the only "meaningful" sports story right now is the NHL playoffs. IMO, they are only there due to nothing else really happening. Were the Red Sox on fire, baseball would be on their main page.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

Take another look at that picture.

If the NHL went back to ESPN, I'd advise everyone to get used to seeing that face...and only that face. St. Louis and other small markets would never get any airtime. ESPN would turn into the Alex Ovechkin/Sidney Crosby channel.

Which, i guess, is better than what it is currently.
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

VS has done a lot of good for us when the popularity of our sport was down after the lock out. If the game is to grow it has to be on ESPN. There is no VS, VS2, VS8 (the ocho). ESPN could show multiple games in a night.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

KPFBlue wrote:Take another look at that picture.

If the NHL went back to ESPN, I'd advise everyone to get used to seeing that face...and only that face. St. Louis and other small markets would never get any airtime. ESPN would turn into the Alex Ovechkin/Sidney Crosby channel.

Which, i guess, is better than what it is currently.
I get that. And it's true...but how is that different from now? The hope with going back to ESPN is that, sure, Crosby and Ovie will get talked about non-stop. But if ESPN has a game between the Blues and Preds, they will have to advertise and talk it up. It's not like St. Louis gets any 'pub' as it is. Being on ESPN wouldn't hurt.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The issue with the NHL on ESPN...

It has to fight the NFL, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, and the NBA for air-time. The NHL flat out doesn't get better ratings than those 4, so will always get bumped in favor of those 4. Right now, VS actually airs lots of games. No way in hell does ESPN air half as many with all of the other sports they cover.

I, for one, do not ever want to go back to the 1-game/week crap ESPN pulled when they had the contract before and that would likely happen.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

As long as I have VS and CenterIce, I could care less about ESPN. Sure there may be more revenue to go into the pot, but then I have to look at Gary Thorne's teeth and listen to him exaggerate normal play-by-play.

Can't we just get CBC funneled into DirecTV?

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

1) ESPN needs to get back into airing NHL games. I like Versus and all, but ESPN is just better.
2) ESPN needs to show 4 games a week: two on Wednesdays, two on Saturdays--preferably featuring 4 east coast teams and 4 west coast teams, but any combination will be acceptable as long as....
3) There's a limit to how many times they can show Crosby and Ovechkin.
4) Every team needs to get on at least once, preferably twice. No more than three unless it's a schedule change because the game has playoff implications and the previously scheduled game doesn't.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

northwest dave wrote:As long as I have VS and CenterIce, I could care less about ESPN. Sure there may be more revenue to go into the pot, but then I have to look at Gary Thorne's teeth and listen to him exaggerate normal play-by-play.

Can't we just get CBC funneled into DirecTV?
That or TSN, but obviously thats not going to happen.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Those guys get all the press cause they win and lead the league. If our guys win the cup and score piles of goals, we would get the press too. I don't have an issue with them putting ovie or sid up on the home page, cause they are the faces of the league.

Seriously, you honestly think David Perron is a story?

Last I checked he has all of zero 100 pt seasons, has never been endorsed by The Great One as capable of beating all time NHL records, and hasn't won any hardware in the NHL.

Instead, he's a guy that put up a good season playing for a shitty team that hasn't been a cup contender in going on a decade - honestly, no story there imo.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think they should advertise the hell out of Crosby and Ovechkin. Don't get my wrong, I get tired of seeing them get so much attention too. But, one mistake the NHL has made in the last decade is failing to promote their stars to the casual fans. I think promoting them similar to Larry Bird/Magic Johnson makes a lot of sense in terms of growing the popularity of the sport.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Those guys get all the press cause they win and lead the league. If our guys win the cup and score piles of goals, we would get the press too. I don't have an issue with them putting ovie or sid up on the home page, cause they are the faces of the league.

Seriously, you honestly think David Perron is a story?

Last I checked he has all of zero 100 pt seasons, has never been endorsed by The Great One as capable of beating all time NHL records, and hasn't won any hardware in the NHL.

Instead, he's a guy that put up a good season playing for a shitty team that hasn't been a cup contender in going on a decade - honestly, no story there imo.

I understand what you're saying, but it's still not as simple as winning/losing. Take the Versus tv schedule this year, for example. The Capitals were featured 12 times, the Penguins featured 11.
The President's Trophy winning Vancouver Canucks? One.

I also understand that it's purely a business decision, and that bigger markets, and face of the leagues blah blah blah....
Why don't we just shave the league down to Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Washington and Pittsburgh, and then Bettman and the tv decision makers can jerk themselves off.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

KPFBlue wrote: I understand what you're saying, but it's still not as simple as winning/losing. Take the Versus tv schedule this year, for example. The Capitals were featured 12 times, the Penguins featured 11.

I also understand that it's purely a business decision, and that bigger markets, and face of the leagues blah blah blah....
Why don't we just shave the league down to Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Washington and Pittsburgh, and then Bettman and the tv decision makers can jerk themselves off.
... Um, the stars on Vancouver look like space aliens and speak shitty English - no one watches them as a destination game. We all hate them, and I am sure we are typical of NHL fans.

The bigger issue with Van is when their home games start - out of prime time or reasonable times for most of the country.

Well, that and people actually like to watch Crosby and Ovie play.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
KPFBlue wrote: I understand what you're saying, but it's still not as simple as winning/losing. Take the Versus tv schedule this year, for example. The Capitals were featured 12 times, the Penguins featured 11.

... Um, the stars on Vancouver look like space aliens and speak shitty English - no one watches them as a destination game. We all hate them, and I am sure we are typical of NHL fans.

The bigger issue with Van is when their home games start - out of prime time or reasonable times for most of the country.

Well, that and people actually like to watch Crosby and Ovie get hurt.
Fixed.

I guess I'm just tired of seeing the same teams (who aren't the Blues) on national tv. But I'm sure I'm preaching the choir.

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

By the way, Jeremy Roenick is awwwwful at this whole tv thing.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote: 2) ESPN needs to show 4 games a week: two on Wednesdays, two on Saturdays--preferably featuring 4 east coast teams and 4 west coast teams, but any combination will be acceptable as long as....
You are dreaming you if ever think that will happen. When ESPN bought the contract the first time, we were lucky to get 2 games/week and that was before they started carrying NBA games. The only time ESPN aired 4 games during a week was the playoffs. Even then, it would be only one game, not the two games/night VS is running.

Saturdays = huge college hoops days which runs throughout the NHL season. It's also their college football extravaganza through November.

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

This is the ideal time to get a contract with ESPN. The NFL is heading for a potential work stoppage which means ESPN would have to reduce its 24/7 coverage of the NFL to about 21/7. The NBA is also having CBA rumblings. If BOTH of these majors went down for a year or even part of one the NHL would be ESPN's prime replacement along with NCAAF and NCAAB. Even the EPL (soccer) would probably get picked up more. NHL playoff ratings have been increasing the last few years because people see how intense the games are and the teams involved are typically fun to watch (Pittsburgh, Washington, even Chicago). I remember when the NHL was on espn there was at least 1 game on every night during the first round of the playoffs, mostly on ESPN2, but the premier games were on ESPN.

If the NHL is interested in increasing its fan base and picking up casual fans then ESPN is the clear choice. Almost every cable package comes with ESPN and ESPN2 and it is the first stop on a sports fan's search for a game to watch. VS is OK, but this is a chance for the NHL to step up and show why it is actually the best part of the big 4.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo