Berglund On His Past Irresponsibility, Partying, and Oshie

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Berglund On His Past Irresponsibility, Partying, and Oshie

Post by SIU LAW »

I pulled this off the Asylum. Berglund recently spoke to Swedish media. Some of the translation is wonky, but the highlights come across loud and clear.

http://www.expressen.se/1.2420180
Tre Kronor-star: "Did some partying"

He was Tre Kronor best players in the Czech Hockey Games and has a strong season in St.. Louis Blues in the NHL behind him.
But just a year ago, Patrik Berglund where about to jeopardize his career.

In a long, frank interview with SPORT-Expressen tells 22-year-old of the season when the parties, poor diet and lack of sleep was about to destroy everything.

It ended up that he got fined by the club, was forced to apologize for the team and was placed in the stands.
- I enjoyed too much of life.

In the summer of 2008, Patrik Berglund, 20, Västerås.
He left the league for the NHL - and there was a tremendous success. 21 goals, 26 assists. Patrik Berglund hade 47 points as a rookie and won St. Louis Blues internal plus / minus-compatible.
- It was a year when I shot the puck and it went in. Going from the second league in swden and make 21 goals in the NHL, it was great.

- But then of course came the "flop" season, "Berglund says and falls silent for a while.
We will return to season two in a minute. For all really began in the summer in between.
"It felt comfortable"

Patrik Berglund is in the first three seasons in the NHL earned around 7.8 million dollars per year. So it was a nouveau riche, young guy who came home to his friends in Västerås with the knowledge that in a year he had become a star in the NHL.

- I went from Vik to the NHL and scored so many points. Rookie Success and rookie all star team, all that kind of stuff. And it was the first time they he was making big money.
Tell me about the summer.
- I was back home two months in Vasteras. And yes, it was just a great time.
No serious training. We hung out with friends all the time. Nothing worked.
You enjoying life?
- Yes, I enjoyed life. It is a good expression.
Was it due to your athletic success and money you suddenly had?
- Both. It was as probably both. It was like i where flyin on clouds.

I thought if I had made 21 goals this season and would make 30 the next. But I did no-thing about it. And I was paying for that all season ...

Back in St. Louis Berglund began practicing with the team's fitness coach. Then came an unpleasant sensation creeping.
- In Vasteras, I would not miss training sessions, but I had not trained hard. Not max.

- I knew immediately when I came back to St. Louis I was not physically fit. Then I started to get worried.

Did you have gained weight over the summer?
- Not so much, but in the wrong places. You should go up in muscle mass and reduce their body fat. I grew nothing in muscle mass.

- I think even if I'll be honest, I was less well trained after the summer than I was when I arrived as a rookie to St. Louis.

"We were like toddlers"

But despite that feeling Berglund describes, it was not there and then he stopped and tried to find the right way back.
No, the season fell on the same track with teammate and good friend TJ Oshie.
- We did not act as true professionals. We were like toddlers. We didnt eaat good , we did not go to bed when we should. Things that are so important at this level. Everything was wrong.

How much alcohol was it?
- It was a new world. I was curious about everything and wanted to enjoy it all. So yes, there was a lot of partying this year.
Patrik Berglund's second season in the NHL was anything but successful. Points remained at 26 (13 goals and 13 assists) and he had to sit in the stands about a dozen matches, although he was neither damaged or diseased.
Something that was very hard to Berglund and his confidence fell to the floor.

- To go from the first year - to that. It was like jumping off a cliff. I lost my confidence.

It all culminated at the end of the season when Berglund overslept for a practice.
- I got a day's wages in fines and had to stand and apologize to the whole team, and have a meeting with GM (general manager), the president and the coaches.
Trained all summer

There and then i made uo my mind for the first time.
- I never thought something like that would happen to me. Then I woke up to. I only played two games of the season because of an injury, then I went home to Västerås.
- I was home for five days in Sweden.
I think I'll start over and give myself a chance to come back and be the player I can be. The next day I booked the trip back to St. Louis and left five days later.
A whole summer trained Patrik Berglund rock hard with the club's fitness coach and was in top form before this past season.
- It was a very big difference in form, yes.
22 goals, 30 assists - a total of 52 points for Berglund season three in the NHL.
- You can have many people telling you what to do and what not to do. But it is only when you really discover yourself what you must do - that's when you can change things. That was what happened to me. And when I came to believe,

Patrik Berglund was Tre Kronor best players in the Czech Hockey Games, as the center between Martin Thörnberg and Magnus Svensson Paajarvi.
Only 22 years old, he is one of the team's key players in the hunt for a new World Championship gold.

How much have you evolved as a person during these two years?
- I have matured . The more experience you get, the more you learn. I have become two years older, simply.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Berglund On His Past Irresponsibility, Partying, and Oshie

Post by dmiles2186 »

That's great to read. There are guys that making the NHL is the goal and once they get there, they don't push as hard as they should. The truly best and great players are the ones who never stop training, working, trying. For Berglund, at 22 (which is still young...we often forget this), to realize this and publicly acknowledge this is a great sign for me. It shows maturity and maturity can lead to all sorts of things. The 2nd half of this season, we saw a different Berglund. If he can build on that...he can be scary good.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

awesome! Dude will be a beast!
Mentally it looks like he knows what he has to do to be a good NHL goal scorer.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

He's maturing physically and mentally. I look for him to break out next season (27-30 goals 60-65 points).

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

SIU LAW wrote:
Patrik Berglund is in the first three seasons in the NHL earned around 7.8 million dollars per year.
Hmmm lol
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

That has to be a good sign for Blues fans. I think it's natural for 18-20 year old kids who are suddenly at the top of the world to be crazy for a while, especially when they're making as much as they are. At least he realized what he was doing, and can avoid pissing it all away.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Ruutu15 wrote:That has to be a good sign for Blues fans. I think it's natural for 18-20 year old kids who are suddenly at the top of the world to be crazy for a while, especially when they're making as much as they are. At least he realized what he was doing, and can avoid pissing it all away.
Maybe this coming year he can take the next step and beat up a cabbie. :lol:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Ruutu15 wrote:That has to be a good sign for Blues fans. I think it's natural for 18-20 year old kids who are suddenly at the top of the world to be crazy for a while, especially when they're making as much as they are. At least he realized what he was doing, and can avoid pissing it all away.
Like that #88...
TW Tiger Woods TW

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

BTW Bergy had 2 goals a +1 and 2 PIM in his first game for Sweden.
TW Tiger Woods TW

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

This kid is going to be a STUD.

From the beginning he's always flashed the highest ceiling of the three 'kids'.

Now we just have to hope DP can get well physically and Oshie can get well mentally. He's a bit older then Bergie so it's tough to say TJ will 'grow up' but perhaps he can use Bergie's story to open his eyes.

The Bergie - Stew line is going to be a absolute beast next season.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I was pretty down on Berglund after his 2nd season and how he started this season. He didn't have that extra step or the passion to take his game to where we all hoped it would be...and he was a non-factor far too often.

But with the way he really turned it on over the 2nd half of this season, and with some background info on what was going on...I'm optimistic again about him.

Getting big numbers from Berglund next year could be the difference between us being pretenders or contenders.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I wonder how much of his 'awakening' was linked to playing under Payne instead of Murray?

I think it's a valid question considering the youth of this team. If Payne was a positive influence for Bergie that could pay huge dividends as youngsters like Petroangelo, Cole, and Tarensanko try to take the next steps in their hockey careers as well as in their private lives.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:I wonder how much of his 'awakening' was linked to playing under Payne instead of Murray?

I think it's a valid question considering the youth of this team. If Payne was a positive influence for Bergie that could pay huge dividends as youngsters like Petroangelo, Cole, and Tarensanko try to take the next steps in their hockey careers as well as in their private lives.
My guess is that the change from Murray to Payne has helped, but not caused, the turnaround. IIRC, Berglund clashed with Murray more than any other player. Even though Berglund's past immaturity was likely largely at fault in that, getting Murray out of there (and the power struggle which left with him) probably made it easier for Berglund to move on and grow up.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

STLADOGG wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
Patrik Berglund is in the first three seasons in the NHL earned around 7.8 million dollars per year.
Hmmm lol
$1.25m USD translates to 7.8m Swedish Krona
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

TheoSqua wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
Hmmm lol
$1.25m USD translates to 7.8m Swedish Krona
lol yeah thats what I figured...or was hoping.
TW Tiger Woods TW