Tarasenko will play in KHL again this coming season

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Tarasenko will play in KHL again this coming season

Post by Robb_K »

Unfortunately, it's official: Tarasenko will not play for The Blues in 2011-12.

http://www.russianprospects.com/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Tarasenko will play in KHL again this coming season

Post by DaDitka »

At least we now know, and considering DP's situation It's becoming more critical that they get the ownership ball rolling because they now need to add a top six scoring forward IMO.

Even with a healthy DP, there would be very little depth and even one long term injury could prove insurmountable.

My guess is this said forward could be quired at the draft with a combination of on or two of our second round picks along with possibly a player. Obviously pure speculation on my part, but Armstrong has eluded to the fact that he does not expect to use all those picks and has often mentioned he could use those picks to help our team THIS year.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I guess he thought he wasn't good enough for the NHL yet, I wonder if he is better off in the AHL or the KHL.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Sibir GM tells SovSport the Blues made an "exclusive offer" to Tarasenko "like no other...guaranteeing he'd play."
STLADOGG - every player in the KHL 'believes' they belong in the NHL (not that they do, but they think they do), it's just had sometimes to get these kids to make the jump.

To put this in focus, most people I've heard said he would have probably provided 10 -15 goals this year, so that's no BIG loss. The big loss s he was a guy we could have skated on the third or 4th line that could have coved for an injury short term because of his skill set, and it does mean another year until he gets over to north America and starts to adjust to this game.

I wonder if getting bench at the worlds and the expected 'attention' he would have gotten if he made the jump had an effect on this decision. Undoubtedly he'll be far more comfortable back in Russia. The question is, when if ever will he feel comfortable making the jump. Not more then a couple months ago even his GM thought he'd make the jump this year and he got cold feet. It's not the end of the world by any means, but I do find it at least slightly alarming. Obviously his number one goal is not to prove himself at the highest level of professional hockey in the world. If it's true that the Blues guaranteed him playing time in St. Louis, I simply don't understand why his uncompetitive drive wouldn't compel him to take up this challenge (unless the dollars were that far off).

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Blues prospect Vladimir Tarasenko announces he's staying in KHL

BY JEREMY RUTHERFORD | Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:04 am | (2) Comments

It appears the Blues will be without forward Vladimir Tarasenko in 2011-12.

One of the team's two first-round picks last summer, No. 16 overall, Tarasenko announced this morning on video that he plans to continue playing next season for Sibir of Russia's KHL. The announcement was aired on Sibir's website in Russian, and translated by Yahoo hockey writer Dmitry Chesnokov.

"Hello, dear fans ... I made a decision to stay with Sibir next year," Tarasenko says on the video, according to Chesnokov. "I will try to bring you joy with my game. Thanks to all who supported me."

The news has not been confirmed by the Blues or Tarasenko's agent, Mike Liut, a former Blues goaltender.

Tarasenko, 19, had been quoted on the Sibir website recently saying his decision would come after his vacation, following his appearance with the Russian national team at the IIHF World Men's Championships in Slovakia.

There was no sure sign which direction Tarasenko would choose. He would have had to buy out the remaining season of his contract with Sibir, but that was seen as a formality, not an obstace. In fact, in March, Sibir general manager Kirill Fastovsky told a gathering of fans in Russia, "(Tarasenko) has a contract for the next season, but there is a 70 percent certainty that he will leave for the NHL."

The Blues had opened the door for Taransenko to join the team next season. He's played three seasons with Sibir, totaling 29 goals and 53 points in 122 games. Tarasenko also led Russia, as captain, to a gold medal at the World Junior Championships in January. He made Russia's roster for the recent World Men's Championships, but his playing time was limited.

"For sure, we’d love to have him over here," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said in April. " ... We’d love to get him signed, we’d love to get him over here. Is he NHL ready? He’ll have to decide that in training camp. I’m not a big believer, like with (Alex Pietrangelo) … you don’t count on them. You hope for the best, but you plan for them to be 20 year old players, 19 year old players.

"I’m probably skewed more than the norm, in the respect for the league, in that it’s a man’s league. These guys are trying to earn a living. If you’re an experienced player on the St. Louis Blues, you want the guy that can help you win, because that’s how you make your living. They’re not here to babysit. We’re not maybe where we were three or four years ago, with a bunch of young guys. They want the future to be now, those players. So if Tarasenko gets here, he’s going to be given the opportunity to prove that he’s an NHL-caliber player."

But Armstrong, who attended the World Junior Championships won by Russia, added that Tarasenko "looks as NHL-ready as any of the players at the World Juniors, and some of those players are going to make the NHL next year, I guarantee it."

According to a report on SovSport, a Russian website, the Sibir GM said the Blues were "guaranteeing" that Tarasenko would play in the NHL, and would not have to face a potential assignement to their American Hockey League affiliate in Peoria, IL. Fastovsky told the website that the Blues made an "exclusive offer ... like no other ... guaranteeing he'd play (in the NHL)."

Some European players fear that if they make the commitment to play in North America, they can be assigned by their NHL teams to the American Hockey League. In some cases, the players want assurances they will stay in the NHL, and it appears the Blues took that step to give Tarasenko assurance.

"We had no idea the Blues wanted (Tarasenko) to come so bad," Fastovsky said. "But it'd be better for him to play one more year in Russia before moving to the NHL."
For now, though, the Blues will be moving on without Tarasenko. Stay tuned for more on this story later today on Stltoday.com.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

"exclusive deal" probably means they offered him a one-way contract. I don't like that. I don't like that for ANYONE. I WISH we could send Brewer, Jackman, and Boyes to the AHL for at least a week each this past season.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

"exclusive deal" probably means they offered him a one-way contract. I don't like that. I don't like that for ANYONE. I WISH we could send Brewer, Jackman, and Boyes to the AHL for at least a week each this past season.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Bad news for sure, but not devastating yet. Fastovsky pretty clearly implies that Tarasenko would come over after a year. I don't know how much credit to give the implication, but it's enough to prevent me from panicking for now.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Well I'm kind of disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing this kid play over here next year. Hopefully it's all for the best though. I mean he is only 19 years old.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cardsfan04 wrote: it's enough to prevent me from panicking for now.
You panic over hockey developments? :lol:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

He was benched alot as the World tourney went on (a tourney with NHL players in it), so perhaps that gave him cold feet.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

goon attack wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: it's enough to prevent me from panicking for now.
You panic over hockey developments? :lol:
I panic over less than that.

:aaaa: what am I going to have for dinner tonight!!111!!1??1?

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Predictable.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

It's easy to forget but most of us were impatient with the handling of Petro. This doesn't seem to be the Blues choice in having him stay over there, but patience paid off in Petro's development. No need to rush Tarasenko along.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I sure am glad this crack staff keeps throwing high draft picks in the trash.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I'm hoping that this was at least partially caused by the Blues brass based on some promising development re: perron. I'm guessing they do not want to rush the young Russian over here.

They're still going to need to add some forwards.. our depth is fucked right now, as evidenced by what happened this year.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

abc789987 wrote:Well I'm kind of disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing this kid play over here next year. Hopefully it's all for the best though. I mean he is only 19 years old.
My thoughts exactly.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk