10 burning questions about the Blues

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

BY JEREMY RUTHERFORD • jrutherford@post-dispatch.com

The Blues are about to take their fans on another journey, and cue the music, the club has selected Journey's iconic tune "Don't Stop Believing" as its motto in 2011-12.

• It's been a trying two years since the Blues made their last playoff appearance, but after last year's injury-riddled campaign, the club believes it's as equipped as it has been in a while to contend.

• To get to this point, the Blues have made bold trades, signed veteran free agents and continued to groom their draft picks. They may be ready, but heading into the first day of training camp today, the results will depend on how they answer the top 10 questions facing them this season:

1. How will David Backes wearing the 'C' help the Blues?

Some Blues fans have been clamoring for Backes to be the captain for several years and now they have their wish. Backes, who was already a vocal voice in the locker room, says the appointment may give him "a little more credibility." But what will it do for the Blues? Management is hoping the players will rally around Backes and create an identity that emulates his aggressive style on the ice and his professional manner off it.

2. Can goaltender Jaroslav Halak show more consistency in year two?

On paper, Halak's numbers from his first season in St. Louis weren't too shabby. On a team that missed the playoffs, he was 27-21-7 with a 2.48 goals-against average and a .910 save-percentage last season. But in the big picture, considering the hype after his arrival from Montreal, Halak was far too inconsistent. A hand injury played a part in that, but this season Halak needs to prove that he has the mentality to be a No. 1 netminder.

3. Do Jamie Langenbrunner and Jason Arnott have anything left in the tank?

Both are 36 years old entering training camp and Arnott will be 37 three days after the season-opener. Last season, the two forwards combined for 26 goals and 62 points, which would have been a nice year for one of them. Both Langenbrunner and Arnott signed identical one-year, $2.5 million contracts this season, and while each will be measured by the experience they bring the Blues, it will be important that they produce.

4. Can Chris Stewart become a 40-goal scorer?

The last Blues player to net 40 goals was Brad Boyes (43) in 2007-08 and before him Scott Young (40) in 2000-01. Stewart has a chance to be the next. Only 23, he has scored 28 goals in each of the last two seasons, including 15 in 26 games after his trade from Colorado last season. Stewart scored 12 power-play goals last year, compared to three the year before, so with increased power-play production, he has a chance to hit 40.

5. Will the Blues have a high-scoring offense?

The Blues were missing several offensive pieces last season when T.J. Oshie, Andy McDonald and David Perron were injured. But when McDonald and Oshie returned and the Blues dealt for Stewart, the offense took off. Before the trade Feb. 19, the Blues were averaging 2.68 goals per game; afterward, they jumped to 3.31 gpg. Overall, the team finished 10th in the NHL (2.88 gpg), but the offense appears to be trending upward.

6. Will the Blues be tough enough?

The Blues led the NHL with 78 fighting majors last season. But this year, they will be without two players responsible for 27 of those after the departures of Brad Winchester, who was traded in February, and Cam Janssen, who signed with New Jersey this offseason. GM Doug Armstrong envisions a "team tough" approach, but while that may hold true, the Blues may need more than B.J. Crombeen and Ryan Reaves ready to drop the gloves.

7. Can Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk pick up where they left off?

Pietrangelo was not considered a rookie by NHL criteria last season, but with only 17 games on his résumé prior to 2010-11 he was for all purposes a first-year player. That means with 43 points apiece from Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk, the Blues had the two highest point-producing rookies in the league last year. The key will be if the two can match those efforts in year two, a season in which some players regress.

8. When will David Perron return to the lineup?

On Nov. 4, it will be one year since Perron played in an NHL game. While there are reports that he is making progress from post-concussion syndrome, the result of a hit by San Jose's Joe Thornton, the Blues are not taking any chances. They have announced that Perron will not be ready for training camp and a timetable for his return is not yet known. The Blues do expect him to play this season, but that's not based on any evidence.

9. Can the Blues improve their record on the road?

Two years ago, the club had one of the best road records in the NHL at 22-14-5. But last season, that mark dipped to 15-20-6, which was aided by a 3-0-1 mark in its final four games away from home. After opening this season with two games at Scottrade Center, the Blues will play nine of their next 11 and 14 of 23 on the road, so if they want to remain in contention early, they have figure out how to win in the other team's barn.

10. Will the Blues' sale be finalized soon?

Doubtful. Chairman Dave Checketts has said that he expects a sale to happen before the regular season begins Oct. 8, but a deal is not imminent. The good news is that while the sooner the transaction takes place the better, the Blues are ready to put a competitive team on the ice with or without a deal. But if the saga continues to drag out well past the season opener, it could be a huge distraction to a promising season.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... z1Y7vziTVN

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: 10 burning questions about the Blues

Post by gaijin »

Drop the frickin' puck already.

And Joe Thornton can go to hell.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

lol at "soon" on the last one. Will a deal be finalized at all? I doubt anybody would be truly shocked if Checketts is still around in 2012-13.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

"Burning questions?"

Here's an idea: "The Valtrex™ Club" at Scottrade!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Maybe this belongs in the captain thread, but why would you sign a guy like Jamie Langenbrunner and not name him captain? At this point, he's not a bad player, but the only reason he's being brought in is for leadership abilities. He proved to be a good captain in New Jersey, which is a franchise that everyone would do well to emulate from top to bottom.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote:Maybe this belongs in the captain thread, but why would you sign a guy like Jamie Langenbrunner and not name him captain? At this point, he's not a bad player, but the only reason he's being brought in is for leadership abilities. He proved to be a good captain in New Jersey, which is a franchise that everyone would do well to emulate from top to bottom.
Because it's very possible he's not going to be re-signed?

I've never liked it when teams name the new guy as captain, much less when he's only on a one-year contract coming into the year
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:Maybe this belongs in the captain thread, but why would you sign a guy like Jamie Langenbrunner and not name him captain? At this point, he's not a bad player, but the only reason he's being brought in is for leadership abilities. He proved to be a good captain in New Jersey, which is a franchise that everyone would do well to emulate from top to bottom.

I've never liked it when teams name the new guy as captain, much less when he's only on a one-year contract coming into the year
Yeah, I agree. Backes earned the right to be Captain.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:

I hear you, and nothing against Backes at all because he's a good player, and the Blues seem to think that he can be a leader. I can't argue with that. Only thing I'm saying is that even if only for this season, you have a proven captain in Langenbrunner...a guy who's won cups, and who led one of the NHL's premier teams for years. Why not let Backes be his 'understudy'?

I guess it doesn't really matter. Either you have leadership or you don't.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

They gave it to a rental in Gretzky for 3 months.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

... is this a serious question? Why didn't we make captain the veteran we have on a 1 year deal when the average age of the team is 26 or 27 and we have one of our former top prospects signed for 4 more years who happens to be around the same age and a natural leader?

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

drwoland wrote:

... is this a serious question? Why didn't we make captain the veteran we have on a 1 year deal when the average age of the team is 26 or 27 and we have one of our former top prospects signed for 4 more years who happens to be around the same age and a natural leader?
+++ Exactly. A good response to a bad question.

philco_3 wrote:
Gretzky was the best player near the peak of his career, while Lang is neither. I think Backes will do very well.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

A bad question? You mean the captain of a Stanley Cup champion team (and a member of another Cup winning team), as well as captain of team USA's olympic team in 2010.

But then again, why does a team destined for 4th in the division (if lucky) need a 2x cup winning captain anyway? :wink:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

philco_3 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

There's no such thing as a comparison to Wayne Gretzky. Let's be honest.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Ruutu15 wrote:A bad question? You mean the captain of a Stanley Cup champion team (and a member of another Cup winning team), as well as captain of team USA's olympic team in 2010.

But then again, why does a team destined for 4th in the division (if lucky) need a 2x cup winning captain anyway? :wink:
Yes, I meant it's a bad question. Also, the season hasn't started yet, so I don't think we're "destined" for 4th place

Since the Hawks have won the Cup a couple years ago, you've posted on here like you're hot shit. Go ahead, post away. I don't loom at Hawks blogs, why are you even on here?

I just think that Lang is a bad option at Captian (but he's a good leader still, hmm, maybe that's why he's an "A" in his first year???) and Backes will do well as a C. That's it.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

If the ten burning questions do not inquire why gunner staal didn't shoot stick side, they really aren't burning then, are they?

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:A bad question? You mean the captain of a Stanley Cup champion team (and a member of another Cup winning team), as well as captain of team USA's olympic team in 2010.

Yes, I meant it's a bad question. Also, the season hasn't started yet, so I don't think we're "destined" for 4th place

Since the Hawks have won the Cup a couple years ago, you've posted on here like you're hot shit. Go ahead, post away. I don't loom at Hawks blogs, why are you even on here?

I just think that Lang is a bad option at Captian (but he's a good leader still, hmm, maybe that's why he's an "A" in his first year???) and Backes will do well as a C. That's it.
Dude I have been posting here like I was hot shit since 2003 when the Blackhawks were terrible. :lol:

As for why I'm here, I'm here because I like being here and I like the people. 99% of the people here know that when I am being a smartass, I'm just messing around. I've been here as long as most of the people currently on here, and longer than a lot of others, so I don't feel that I need to justify why I'm here. My 'attitude' hasn't changed since the Blackhawks won the cup.

And besides, the point of me mentioning Langenbrunner doesn't have anything to do with me being a Hawks fan. I thought it was a legit question, and the point of a message board is to spark conversation. I think the fact that Langenbrunner has won 2 cups (1 as a C), and captained the US olympic team to a gold medal game is the main reason that the Blues signed him. I never said that Backes couldn't to a good job, because I'm sure that he can. As for my remarks about the Blues finishing 4th in the division, I put the wink there to indicate a playful dig.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Other than being a Hawks fan, Rutuu15 is good people and longtime regular. No need run him out of town, just say "Hawks suck" or "!$#% the Hawks" and move on.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Because Langebrunner is a freakin pansy who screws baby chickens in the ass and the Blackhawks are (Franking) pussies.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

goon attack wrote:and the Blackhawks are (Frank) pussies.
But what about Kane and Hossa?... :lol:
Ohh and I've only been here for about 2 years, but I can definitely respect Ruutu15 and his opinion. Even though he roots for the Devil himself.
Last edited by STLADOGG on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

SIU LAW wrote:Other than being a Hawks fan, Rutuu15 is good people and longtime regular. No need run him out of town, just say "Hawks suck" or "!$#% the Hawks" and move on.
:okman: and :hawkssuck: