Blues Reject $167 Million Offer

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues Reject $167 Million Offer

Post by dmiles2186 »

:shock: Holy crap, Checketts.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 0f31a.html
Blues ownership has rejected an offer of $167 million to buy the franchise and is seeking a $190 million purchase price, according to the group that says it made the unsuccessful bid.

Calgary businessman Max Chambers told the Post-Dispatch today that he was "surprised" the Blues didn’t accept his all-cash offer, which was made on July 2, and he believes the current asking price is too high. In 2010, Forbes Magazine valued the franchise at $165 million.

"The offer of $167 (million) was my maximum," Chambers said. "We think that’s the most they’ve been offered. Obviously they haven’t been offered $190 because $190 was the figure to take it off the auction block. I don’t think anyone has over-topped our offer of $167.

"I think $190 is a little aggressive with the value of the franchise. We felt $167 was aggressive, so their counter at $190 was real aggressive in our view."

A message for Blues chairman Dave Checketts left through a spokesman with his company, SCP Worldwide, wasn't immediately returned.

Chambers, who says that he is CEO of Sonoma Equities and Great Northern Capital Partners, indicated that his investment group, which includes former NHL players Bryan Trottier and Scott Nichols, remains interested in buying the Blues. But Chambers said that he’s uncertain where Game Plan LLC, the firm conducting the sale, stands in the process.

"I don’t know what state the process is in right now. Does anyone?" Chambers said. "I mean, I can’t get an answer from Game Plan what the number is. What is the real number? You guys are throwing $190 out. You got $167 from us and I think the next bid is what … $120-130?"

The Post-Dispatch has reported that the Blues have received offers from two other groups and both were rejected. Club minority owner Tom Stillman made an initial offer of $110 million and later made a second offer that was "in the same neighborhood," according to sources. Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer also made a bid, according to a source, but his offer was not disclosed.

SCP Worldwide, Checketts' company, has an outstanding loan of approximately $120 million with Citigroup.

"What surprises me is one of the minority partners (Stillman), who knows what the debt load is, his bid is less than what the debt load is at (Citigroup)," Chambers said. "It made me double-check what the hell we were doing. OK, have we missed something here, because usually we don’t?"

In the past, Chambers’ group has shown interest in both the Phoenix Coyotes and the Los Angeles Kings, including an unsuccessful offer to buy the Kings last year. Chambers said that he was pointed toward the Blues by Trottier, who won six Stanley Cups with the New York Islanders and Pittsburgh Penguins and one as an assistant coach in Colorado.

"Owning a hockey team has always been one of my goals in life," Chambers said. "(St. Louis) was Trottier’s first choice. He’s a ring pig and he wants to get his eighth (Stanley Cup) ring in St. Louis.

"Looking at the market, St. Louis is attractive because I think they can win, the market is solid … it’s consistent … and that appeals. St. Louis is a market I’d feel comfortable raising my family, where I can’t say that about every other city in the league."

Chambers said that Blues fans should have no concerns about moving the team.

"St. Louis is not a franchise that is movable," he said. "There are other franchises in the league that need to be fixed before St. Louis is moved."

If he were able to purchase the Blues, Chambers indicated that he would sink more money into the payroll. The club’s payroll for the upcoming season is approximately $52 million.

"I think the Blues, with $8-10 million more, a legitimate Cup contender, not just a playoff team," he said. "The only reason we would want to buy a team is to win a Stanley Cup. We would commit whatever resources it takes – financial and personnel – to get there."

Chambers said that his offer of $167 million is still on the table, but he doesn’t know how much it longer it will stand.

"If we were to be accepted at $167 in the (next) 10 business days, we would be in position to pay for the franchise," he said. "But now we would end up taking it during the season instead of before the season.

"It’s real tough to make some of the changes (in the middle of the season), so you could be a in a situation for eight or nine months, not being able to implement some of the changes that you need to get it going in your direction. This process is going to be a lot longer than everyone thinks it is. But at some point, we’ll keep moving on and doing our business, but we’re not going to be there forever."

In July, Checketts received an extension on his $120 million loan with Citigroup and multiple sources have told the Post-Dispatch that the next deadline is Sept. 30. It’s possible that Checketts, along with the NHL, could negotiate another extension. If not, and if the Blues haven’t reached a purchase agreement with a buyer, there could be severe ramifications that aren’t known at this point.

"It doesn’t seem to be lighting any fire under his pants to get a deal done," Chambers said. "Checketts or none of these guys have said, ‘OK, we’re interested,’ so I don’t know. I guess the Sept. 30 deadline isn’t a hard deadline for them, or they feel they can extend it."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... z1YcaCwKdK

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues Reject $167 Million Offer

Post by kodos »

The only way this makes sense is if they have another group bidding more and they know it.

If that's not the case, then **** it all.
"I think the Blues, with $8-10 million more, a legitimate Cup contender, not just a playoff team," he said. "The only reason we would want to buy a team is to win a Stanley Cup. We would commit whatever resources it takes – financial and personnel – to get there."
And this quote makes me more upset about these guys not winning. COME ON! SELL THE TEAM ALREADY! I'm so sick of treading water. This team is going nowhere until they spend a little bit more money and everyone knows it.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If he were able to purchase the Blues, Chambers indicated that he would sink more money into the payroll. The club’s payroll for the upcoming season is approximately $52 million.

I like this guy.
Wouldn't this scenario be par for the course with this organization? They have a guy who wants to sink a little more money into the team to put them over the top...and says the only reason they want to buy a team is to win a cup (something the city is dying for) ...he makes by far the best offer to buy the team...yet SCP, for some reason, refuses the offer AFTER they've already asked for an extension on paying back their loan.

WTF?

I'd be kind of pissed if I was Citigroup and I heard about this.

Checketts would have a lot of nerve asking for another extension after turning down this last offer.

I'm losing patience with this whole stupid thing.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

It'd be nice to have such a straight-shooter as an owner.

That interview sounded a lot like Peter with his feet kicked up on the table talking to the Bobs.

Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I was skeptical on Chambers because I heard he had some iffy questions about him. I don't remember the specifics. But Trottier is in his group? That's awesome.

And like you guys, I like how candid he was. Laid it all out on the table. Clearly this is a negotiation ploy, he's putting this out in public, he went to the press with this, as if to say, 'Your move, Dave.'

I'm ready for this to be done with. We're going on almost a year and a half overall with trying to find investors and then trying to sell the team.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Remember when Checketts was like a hero riding into town on a white horse?

I don't exactly hate the dude or anything, but he's starting to really rub me the wrong way...

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Ok so let me get this straight. We have someone who wants to buy the team. Who is willing to pay over market value. Who is willing to raise payroll by a significant amount to contend for a cup. Oh and by the way says the team isn't moving.

Checketts says NO to this. Citi needs to get into the middle of this and force Diamond Dave's hand and say take the deal or we come after personal assests.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:Remember when Checketts was like a hero riding into town on a white horse?

I don't exactly hate the dude or anything, but he's starting to really rub me the wrong way...
Reminds me of Bill Laurie.
He wanted to win...spent a lot of money...fans loved it...then he screwed us badly before he left town and is pretty much hated amongst Blues fans.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

thedoc wrote:Ok so let me get this straight. We have someone who wants to buy the team. Who is willing to pay over market value. Who is willing to raise payroll by a significant amount to contend for a cup. Oh and by the way says the team isn't moving.

Checketts says NO to this. Citi needs to get into the middle of this and force Diamond Dave's hand and say take the deal or we come after personal assests.
:okman:
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

I wonder how Trottier has that kind of dough. Kinda reminds me of when Walter Payton was "given" a small percent of the ownership group that tried to bring an NFL expansion team to town.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

:facepalm:

Dave...cut your loses and just take the money. We would like an owner that would be able to spend more money so we could maybe sign some of those huge talented UFAs, not just players we sign for one year and trade at deadline time for picks.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

He did what!?!?!?

Dammit, Checketts. That's probably $17 million more than you should have reasonably expected.

C'mon, Dave - the economy is in the shitter and folks aren't exactly banging down doors to buy hockey teams right now. This was a very very fair offer.

This sucks.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

ohio BLUES wrote:It'd be nice to have such a straight-shooter as an owner.

That interview sounded a lot like Peter with his feet kicked up on the table talking to the Bobs.

Only if, and believe me, I'm speaking in "hypotheticals" here, they were to throw in some stock options?

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Don't stop believing guys...an owner will come along sometime. Maybe next year.

:lol:

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Ruutu15 wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:It'd be nice to have such a straight-shooter as an owner.

Only if, and believe me, I'm speaking in "hypotheticals" here, they were to throw in some stock options?
Yeah, I guess.

"Great.."
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Damn, sell the freakin' team and let us move on. :facepalm:

Oh, and Office Space quotes save the thread! :grin:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Assuming all this is true, I would be happy to see some more payroll funds for this team, but let's just hope that if Chambers becomes the owner, he does not throw around stupid money like the Buffalo’s new owner. I get what he is trying to do, but some of Buffalo’s moves seem crazy and give the appearance of spending money just to spend money.

Here's hoping additional payroll will be used to intelligently supplement the current team, and not used to pick up random contract albatrosses in the name of spending money.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

SIU LAW wrote:Assuming all this is true, I would be happy to see some more payroll funds for this team, but let's just hope that if Chambers becomes the owner, he does not throw around stupid money like the Buffalo’s new owner. I get what he is trying to do, but some of Buffalo’s moves seem crazy and give the appearance of spending money just to spend money.

Here's hoping additional payroll will be used to intelligently supplement the current team, and not used to pick up random contract albatrosses in the name of spending money.
So you're saying that a new owner shouldn't go out and sign a Jagr or a Yashin to sell more jerseys?

:lol:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I'm saying that a new owner should not give Christian Ehrhoff $18 million in his first two years of a 10 year, $40 million deal.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I'd tell you what I'd do man... 334 chicks at the same time, man.