Blues Fire Davis Payne...Hire Ken Hitchcock

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Blues Fire Davis Payne...Hire Ken Hitchcock

Post by Oz-iz-God »

Is there a possibility that Blue mgmt simply didn't like the attitude the players were developing and wanted to pull the trigger now to ensure that they didn't have to possibly fire a 'hot' coach in the event the Blues were able to string together a nice homestand?

Think about it - 5 games is a pretty sizable stretch of the season; a couple of weeks anyway. Maybe the front office decided that Payne was giving the players too much rope and they were starting to get a little too lax in their effort (creating potentially disastrous long term development issues). If they give Payne the homestand and the Blues go 4-1 in that period (all it takes is a hot goalie), they could end up in a situation where they have no choice but to keep Payne around because you just can't fire the man when they're playing like that.

Suddenly he buys himself another 5 games and now you're 10 games further along and the players are still getting too much rope, etc...; Besides, the nature of the Blues last year (and apparently this year) is to play streaky hockey. Rather than get caught up in the endless cycle of up and down streaks saving his ass, they decided to just can Payne and bring in Hitch during a time where he's most likely to succeed - the homestand.

The timing is surprising, but not entirely absurd. In all, I like Payne a lot, but this team just wasn't progressing and I think it was fair to make a change.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

theohall wrote:Are you trying to say Blues fans here are slow?? :P
Not necessarily slow, but Ken Hitchcock-paced.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

I liked what I heard in the press conference today, but I reserve my skepticism. Talk to me when the wins start piling up.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I was thinking about it over lunch today, a few years ago, right before the Blackhawks made their jump, they fired Savard a few games into the season and hired Coach Q. Similar tactic? I'm not saying the Blues will end up in the Western Conf finals or anything, but that move was equally questioned and it's turned out okay.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Didn't they kinda drag their feet a bit when they fired Murray and lose out on the replacement they wanted? Tortorella? Maybe they were afraid of that happening again. Once is bad, twice is inexcusable. I never liked the firing of AM because I hate letting the inmates run the asylum. Doesn't seem like it worked, so let someone get on these guys a bit.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

BTW, I wonder if there was ever a time when the Blues, Cardinals, and Rams (or Big Red) all changed coaches with a month or so of each other. After yesterdays shabockle (neon Dionne word) in the desert, can Spags be far behind?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Hitchcock says Halak will be in goal on Tuesday vs. Chicago.

Hitchcock on how long it will take to fix the PP: "One practice. We'll get that fixed quick".

Hitchcock not changing any of the coaching staff. He is comfortable with all of them.
At the very least...this whole thing will be interesting to watch unfold.

I hope it works out.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

OK. 24-hour rule is over. Got to admit, I'm still not good with this.

Hiring Fat Bastard to run the Blues is tone-deaf at best. I do support the Blues, but between the creation of Louie, and now this horseshit, I'm getting to my limit. The only win in this situation is for anyone who can deliver a bucket of wings to the Blues bench in 20 minutes or less.

ImageImage

That is all.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Are you sure the Blues didn't hire WWE Manager Paul Bearer?

Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

theohall wrote:Are you sure the Blues didn't hire WWE Manager Paul Bearer?

IF thats the case, then we should play the Undertaker, cause he would go undefeated.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:I was thinking about it over lunch today, a few years ago, right before the Blackhawks made their jump, they fired Savard a few games into the season and hired Coach Q. Similar tactic? I'm not saying the Blues will end up in the Western Conf finals or anything, but that move was equally questioned and it's turned out okay.
I think Patrick Kane cried too. Or more importantly... whichever
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I think people need to chill and just see what happens. I have no real reason to dislike Hitchcock, he hasn't personally wronged me in any way and I don't care how he's coached in the past; I'm talking the good and the bad because I don't really care if he led the Blue Jackets to the playoffs or the Stars to the cup. I want to see him do those things with the Blues. If the team does worse with him at the helm then I'll hate him ( :wink: ), but until then he's got a clean slate in my book. I'm excited with the fresh outlook he seemed to have. He kept mentioning his time off and adapting his style to the faster-paced game of today, he talked a good talk. We'll see how it translates but I'm not going to bury a guy before he's even coached a single game for this team.

I have to say though, if the team really does do worse, at what point do you stop blaming the coaches and start thinking about retooling your roster? Given Army's comments during the press conference it sounded like this was next, and rightfully so, even if that is an absolutely frightening thought as a fan...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

philco_3 wrote:
theohall wrote:Are you sure the Blues didn't hire WWE Manager Paul Bearer?

IF thats the case, then we should play the Undertaker, cause he would go undefeated.
Awesome.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on Tarasenko coming over.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I heard the Tarasenko question before in an unrelated way. We won't see him anyway until next season. So, if the Blues make the playoffs now, I would think he would be more encouraged to join the team then. It is much easier to accept leaving a comfort zone if you know you are going to a winning team.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I think Nikitin will be a big factor, so he has someone to look up to/ talk to/ and learn from.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Despite all the bashing of Hitchcock and young players, Pang pointed out how he developed Morrow with the Stars, Carter and Richards both got their starts under him in Philly, and Nash was entering his fourth year when Hitchcock came to town and he had the best year of his career in Hitch's second season there.

Yes, he's been hard on lazy kids that don;t want to play both ways, but furthermore .....he said himself that he's learnt a lot in his time off about handling today players.

Like him or not, he's clearly more qualified coming in then any of our last three head coaches and resume demands respect and trust from the locker room.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

The Blues definitely have a win now attitude which is refreshing. I suppose this means the end of the "rebuilding"...it's playoffs are bust.

I'm not a fan of the FatMan, but if he knocks some skulls and this team wins, I will sing him praises. I thought they would give it one more year, but the pressure is on now.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

northwest dave wrote:The Blues definitely have a win now attitude which is refreshing. I suppose this means the end of the "rebuilding"...it's playoffs are bust.

I'm not a fan of the FatMan, but if he knocks some skulls and this team wins, I will sing him praises. I thought they would give it one more year, but the pressure is on now.
Considering the number of 1st round draft picks playing defense for this team - with none of them being rookies - plus the experienced group of forwards, they had better have a win now attitude or the "rebuild" didn't work.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

New coach, new owner... now it's time to pump some cash into the team and we should have a team that's actually fun to follow again.

It's almost hard to fathom.

We'll have to go from being disappointed at how bad they suck at everything to going back to complaining about how they always lose in the playoffs. It will be just like old times!