Realignment plan

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Realignment plan

Post by gaijin »

Winning Unlimited wrote: Also, do the teams get reseeded after round 2? So winner from Conferences A-D play where top points plays least points in round 3?
That decision is supposedly going to be made by the Board of Governors during this year's playoffs. Seems like the choice is between re-seeding the 4 conference champs, or dividing the 4 champs into "western" and "eastern" conferences to determine which two teams will play for the Cup. Crazy, I know.

Naturally, the League will choose the more retarded option, so get ready to see Detroit vs. Vancouver for the Cup.

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

gaijin wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote: Also, do the teams get reseeded after round 2? So winner from Conferences A-D play where top points plays least points in round 3?
That decision is supposedly going to be made by the Board of Governors during this year's playoffs. Seems like the choice is between re-seeding the 4 conference champs, or dividing the 4 champs into "western" and "eastern" conferences to determine which two teams will play for the Cup. Crazy, I know.

Naturally, the League will choose the more retarded option, so get ready to see Detroit vs. Vancouver for the Cup.
I actually like that idea.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

They should still keep the Eastern and Western Conferences, and then just have 2 divisions. In the West I could see naming them Central and Pacific and with the screwed up Florida teams, they could have gone with Atlantic and Northeast Divisions.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I have to share this....

A friend's proposal for re-alignment which looked like it would make sense geographically (the red line is Atlanta moving to Winnipeg - he made this map last season)

What really happened:

Nice flacid penis, eh? ;)

And the two 7 team conferences would have been the "Western" conferences, instead of the "Eastern" conferences.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

gaijin wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:Why couldn't they just make 4 divisions under a 2 conference banner like they used to? Would have been perfect.
Which is exactly why it won't be allowed to happen.
:plusplus:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

TheoSqua wrote:
gaijin wrote:

I actually like that idea.
Same here. I know it basically blows out everything we've ever seen in most sports, but why wouldn't someone want the championship to be the between the two best teams?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

I'm agreeing with Waukee Blues here inasmuch as this whole realignment is obviously slanted pro-east. If all four conferences are "equal", then why do the two conferences that have the most travel (by far) also get the most teams? It would seem to me that the only logical way to divvy this league up would be thus:

Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New Jersey

Detroit, NYR, NYI, Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal

St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Colorado, Nashville

Phoenix, L.A., San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim

All I did was draw a line straight down the middle of the globe so that on one side there were 14 teams, and on the other there were 16. Then I drew another line through the eastern half so that there were 8 teams above the line and 8 below. Same thing in the West but with 7 on the left and 7 on the right. This way every one is geographically as close to as many other teams in its own conference as possible while the two with the advantage of ridiculously short travel routes have to take the extra teams. Done and done.
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I think all they cared about were the time zones (besides Detroit and BJ's, because well (Frank) em)

The two Florida teams are in the eastern time zone just like the rest of their conference..it could be a lot worse.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

Take a look at the New York conference. Not only do they have forced rivalries between NYR, PIT, PHI, and WAS, but they also matched them up with NJ, NYI, and CAR in a conference that allows 4 into the playoffs. They've essentially guaranteed that the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, and Caps will be battling it out in the "playoffs" for the next decade... which of course = $$$

:roll:
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Of course the #1 concern was travel (minimizing cost), as well as timezones for local TV, but the league still had to consider the bigger TV viability, and that New York, New England, Jersey.... has enormous pull. They had to leave that group together.

I mean the NHL has more trouble getting quality television coverage the the NBA, NASCAR, NCAA, and have just recently moved past Poker.

Whether it's realignment or the winter classic, I really don't think people take this into consideration ENOUGH.

It sucks, it doesn't not always lead to what we think is the 'best' decision, but they are often necessary for the sustainability of the league as a whole moving forward.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I don't know what annoys me more: this realignment or all the commentators saying what such a great thing it is :facepalm:

Really? What realignment are you looking at!? The ONLY redeeming comment I heard in regards to the 8 team/ 7 team structure was from JR on NBC Sports the other night in that is allows for two more expansion teams. Although I don't even necessarily agree with the fact that the NHL NEEDS to expand, the current structure more easily allows for it nonetheless. Beyond that, haven't heard an ounce of logic as to why the East is structured the way it is beyond forced rivalries, money and favored franchises.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I don't know what annoys me more: this realignment or all the commentators saying what such a great thing it is :facepalm:

Really? What realignment are you looking at!? The ONLY redeeming comment I heard in regards to the 8 team/ 7 team structure was from JR on NBC Sports the other night in that is allows for two more expansion teams. Although I don't even necessarily agree with the fact that the NHL NEEDS to expand, the current structure more easily allows for it nonetheless. Beyond that, haven't heard an ounce of logic as to why the East is structured the way it is beyond forced rivalries, money and favored franchises.
There is one possibility for the East having two 7 teams conferences and the West having two 8 team conferences - the Phoenix ownership situation. The prevailing theory is the Coyotes will likely end up in Quebec and they will be moved to one of the "Eastern" conferences when they eventually move. Heard this on NHL Radio when the proposal which became a reality was still a proposal.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Carolina should have been in the same conference with the Florida teams. Period. Carolina is the only southern team relatively close to Florida, and you don't put it in the same conference?? That's silly.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

They were joking that the Florida/Boston/Canadian conference should be named after an airline. Just sell the naming rights to one of them.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I really don't care about the alignment of the teams in the east that much. Why should I?
But part of the reason for the goofy alignment on the east coast is for rivalries, which is a main reason why Detroit stayed in the Central, or whatever it will be called. Detroit's has a huge rivalry with Chicago.

As far as our division goes, aside from it having 8 teams instead of 7, which it should have...I'm quite happy with it.
Detroit stays and the Stars have been added. Both huge pluses for us.
The first two rounds of the playoffs stay in the division, which is also a huge plus.
To me, that outweighs any goofy alignment in the east, which doesn't effect us that much at all.

If we become a regular playoff team, then we'll be playing either Detroit or Chicago in the playoffs often, assuming they get in as well. THAT, my friends, would be awesome.

This setup is much better than the one we currently have.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I don't know what annoys me more: this realignment or all the commentators saying what such a great thing it is :facepalm:

There is one possibility for the East having two 7 teams conferences and the West having two 8 team conferences - the Phoenix ownership situation. The prevailing theory is the Coyotes will likely end up in Quebec and they will be moved to one of the "Eastern" conferences when they eventually move. Heard this on NHL Radio when the proposal which became a reality was still a proposal.
Well, as I said earlier in the thread, that doesn't really "fix" the problem, it just moves it. You still have two conferences with one more team than the other two.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Not enough conference games. Conference foes should be playing each other 8 times per season. In the 8 team conferences, that would represent 56 games. Divide up the other games randomly, I say.

Brawl (Franking) city.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The reason MLB had 14/16 was to limit the amount of stupid interleague bullshit, which will now be every franking day because of moving Houston to the AL which is complete and total bullshit. Anyway, this isn't a problem in the NHL obviously since east and west play each other plenty of times. If they're going to go with 16/14 they may as well make east only play east and west only play west until the Cup.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Re: Realignment plan

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:The reason MLB had 14/16 was to limit the amount of stupid interleague bullshit, which will now be every franking day because of moving Houston to the AL which is complete and total bullshit. Anyway, this isn't a problem in the NHL obviously since east and west play each other plenty of times. If they're going to go with 16/14 they may as well make east only play east and west only play west until the Cup.
Teams like Colorado, Tampa Bay .and Florida would never approve a plan that did not include every team playing every team. They draw large crowds based on transplant fans and need those crowds.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Re: Realignment plan

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
glen a richter wrote:The reason MLB had 14/16 was to limit the amount of stupid interleague bullshit, which will now be every franking day because of moving Houston to the AL which is complete and total bullshit. Anyway, this isn't a problem in the NHL obviously since east and west play each other plenty of times. If they're going to go with 16/14 they may as well make east only play east and west only play west until the Cup.
Teams like Colorado, Tampa Bay .and Florida would never approve a plan that did not include every team playing every team. They draw large crowds based on transplant fans and need those crowds.
Well of course they could just make sure everyone gets to play Washington and Pittsburgh because we all know those are the only two teams that matter.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024