GDT#32: 12/18/11 > Blue Jackets @ Blues > 6:00PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT#32: 12/18/11 > Blue Jackets @ Blues > 6:00PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by sseagle »

SIX SIX SIX

WOOOOOOOO! :cup:
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

6 goals in a game means Columbus is just that bad
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Third-period offense bails out Halak. I can't remember the last time we got four in a period.

Maybe we can play a little.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bring out the zamboni BEFORE Halak gets off the ice. Maybe run him over a bit...
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Blues played up and down for stretches tonight and still found a way to win. It's a good sign regardless of who they are playing. They took 3 out of 4 points this weekend and have won 5 of 6. Can't complain about that.

Halak should have won last night and probably should have lost tonight, but hey, that's the way it goes sometimes.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Hotaru_Sobi17
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Hotaru_Sobi17 »

Wow, unexpected (but awesome) amount of goals for our boys! :letsgoblues: :grin:

Vladimir Sobotka= most underated player in the NHL! But I love him nontheless :)

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

That was a fun game...well the 1st and 3rd period were.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Blues played horrible throughout the 1st and 2nd periods and bailed themselves out with a high-flying 3rd period. Halak was so-so and the defense was fumbling every time they tried to exit the zone.

It's a sign of a good team to play awful yet still come away with a victory. I would like to see them play a full 60, but they are getting it done when they play 20. :letsgoblues:
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Shattenkirk: 2nd star of the game, +4
Stewart: Does anyone know? :facepalm:

Also: disappointed Backes didn't get the EN :P

On a more serious note: If you're the Jacket's GM, what on earth do you do? This was supposed to be the season that turned it all around and now they're worse than they were last season sans Carter. They still have young players but honestly: what do you do? Nash has GOT to be sick of losing all the time, and if you blow it up and start all over like the Oil did two'ish seasons ago, who do you trade? Carter again? Not many guys on that roster are going to warrant 1st round picks come March time. It's rare that I feel sorry for a professional sports franchise but Columbus is it. Nothing but epic fail in 10+ years of existence. Tough times.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The first two goals against on Halak were a direct result of him not being able to hold onto the puck with his glove. That has been his problem, well, forever. Not sure why he can't hold onto the damn puck with his glove. It's costing us goals...and will cost us more games this season.

Halak looked really good at times, and really shaky at times. He made some big saves, and allowed a couple bad goals. Not a good game for him overall. Elliot probably starts the next 2 or 3 games...hopefully.

The Blues were a bit out of sync until Columbus started to play like a bunch of punks. That seemed to wake up the Blues.

Umberger is a POS. From soccergate to the game today...what a douchebag.

Great 3rd period...obviously.

Oshie has arrived. This is his breakout season. Dude has been playing fantastic.

Perron is just fun to watch. He can stickhandle around the entire Bluejacket team in a phone booth. Great to have him back.

Next up...@ Colorado, @ Phoenix & at home vs. Dallas.
Two dates coming up to circle on the calendar... Dec. 27th and Dec. 31st. Both games in Detroit. Right now we sit 4th in the conference, 3rd most points and are one point up on the Wings. Elliot better be in net for both games vs. Detroit.

Holy jumpin' those two games in Detroit should be fun. :wink:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Looked like a sloppy game from the little that I caught in between airports on my phone and via the highlights. Great set up by Perron on Arnott's goal, finally starting to create from behind the net.

Blacktooth-Grin
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Blacktooth-Grin »

I hate the BJ's more than any team in our conference. Maybe it's the fact that they're perennially horrible except when they play us or they're always the chippiest game of the year.

We got out reffed big time and the BJ's had their "Take the fall, act hurt, get indignant" practice before the game so calls were not on our side.

Glad we got the points though. Can't argue with a dubya.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

dmiles2186 wrote: They took 3 out of 4 points this weekend and have won 5 of 6. Can't complain about that.
On this site? Someone will you know it.

Glad we won though.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: Oshie has arrived. This is his breakout season. Dude has been playing fantastic.

I for one had been rather hard on those wanting to make him an all star - or HOF player without ever earning it....that said.....This kid is playing some serious hockey right now. He is always playing harder then everyone on the ice. Something clicked for him this year and he's wringing every possible drop of production out of his skill set by simply out working everyone...he is the Anti-Stewart.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:The first two goals against on Halak were a direct result of him not being able to hold onto the puck with his glove. That has been his problem, well, forever. Not sure why he can't hold onto the damn puck with his glove. It's costing us goals...and will cost us more games this season.

Halak looked really good at times, and really shaky at times. He made some big saves, and allowed a couple bad goals. Not a good game for him overall. Elliot probably starts the next 2 or 3 games...hopefully.
Goals 1, 2, and 4 were on all Halak for giving up rebounds. During the first period, he was giving up rebounds like they were Christmas gifts, kinda like he did the first part of this season. I do not understand why Hitchcock left him in the game when it was clear he was once again struggling with rebounds. When that continued in the 2nd period and he still stayed in the game, I was more confused. While POS Umberger did get 2 or 3 consecutive shots on goal in that third period, blame Halak for giving up rebound, rebound, rebound... Hell, the Blues had to clear the damn puck because Halak is incapable of freezing the damn thing most of the time. We might as well start calling him Jaroslav Mayers, with his glove of stone, instead of hands of stone. I don't think I have ever seen a goalie give up more rebounds off of his glove than Halak surrenders. Look at Rinne on Saturday. Every time the puck hit his glove, the play was immediately over.

Without the Blues offense waking up, the Blues lose this game. If Halak plays like that against almost anyone else in the league, the Blues will lose.

Loved seeing Langenbrunner moved up to the Perron/Berglund line. It's about time Stewart got demoted. He has had enough of an opportunity with the talented guys and still doesn't play hard enough. When David Perron is playing more gritty than Stewart, it's time for a change. Perron's improved play reminds me of the way Tyler Seguin has improved his game. He is being more aggressive in fighting for pucks and jumping into board battles, which is not something I recall him doing much of prior to his injury. Also, Langenbrunner fights for pucks, wins battles and keeps plays alive. With the way Berglund is using his body again, that line should turn into a monster.

Looking forward to the Avs game and whether or not Hitchock will leave Stewart demoted and Langenbrunner promoted. I kind of think the shift in this game happened, because the Blues wound up 4-on-4 and Stewart was out with Backes which caused a short term shift in even strength lines. Hopefully, the shift is of a more permanent nature, knowing that Hitchcock believes more in leaving lines together than shifting lines around all the time.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Why isn't Stewart being parked in front of the net? Most of his goals last year were scored in the Tkachuk zone.

Its almost like Payne and Hitchcock changed up how they want him to play or something.

It's troubling though, this is way beyond a slump or slow start. He's shitting the bed. Absolutely invisible. The season is almost halfway over and he's been our worst player. And that's not even grading on expectations... no, overall, he's been 100% worthless. He's not getting anything done, he isn't good on defense and he makes whoever he's playing with worse.

What is going on? We had such huge hopes for this guy.

He's on pace for 12 freaking goals. 12. (twelve)

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

kodos wrote:Why isn't Stewart being parked in front of the net? Most of his goals last year were scored in the Tkachuk zone.
Because that isn't how the rest of the team generates scoring chances. The rest of the team actually works the corners, works behind the net, works along the boards... and they rotate to get the opposing team chasing them. One guy standing around in front of the net means one less defender moving around. Not to mention everyone but him seems to back-check regularly.

Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk's goals were beauties because the defenders were chasing the guy on the puck both times. No, they didn't come from board battles, but those earlier battles forced the defense to recognize they had to attack the puck.

If Stewart wants to remain part of this team, he should work like the rest of them. He has the size, passing skills and shot - he just seems to refuse to want to do any of the work. At least Tkachuk would battle when it was needed. We never see that from Stewart this season.

purple_haze
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by purple_haze »

theohall wrote:
kodos wrote:Why isn't Stewart being parked in front of the net? Most of his goals last year were scored in the Tkachuk zone.
Because that isn't how the rest of the team generates scoring chances. The rest of the team actually works the corners, works behind the net, works along the boards... and they rotate to get the opposing team chasing them. One guy standing around in front of the net means one less defender moving around. Not to mention everyone but him seems to back-check regularly.

Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk's goals were beauties because the defenders were chasing the guy on the puck both times. No, they didn't come from board battles, but those earlier battles forced the defense to recognize they had to attack the puck.

If Stewart wants to remain part of this team, he should work like the rest of them. He has the size, passing skills and shot - he just seems to refuse to want to do any of the work. At least Tkachuk would battle when it was needed. We never see that from Stewart this season.

i whole heartedly agree with you, Stewart has the skill set yet he refuses to work with it. He seems like the sloppiest player we have that was supposed to be the next jerome iginla...not gonna happen.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I am kinda wondering if Stewart's poor in-game work ethic was rubbing off on Berglund. It seems since Hitchcock arrived, Berglund re-discovered what was making him so successful from January on last season and he is getting chances because of it. Hopefully, the Stewart demotion will keep Berglund more motivated. One thing is for sure, I doubt either Berglund or Perron can out-work Langenbrunner shift to shift if he stays on that line. And Langenbrunner is an OLD hockey player.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

theohall wrote:I am kinda wondering if Stewart's poor in-game work ethic was rubbing off on Berglund. It seems since Hitchcock arrived, Berglund re-discovered what was making him so successful from January on last season and he is getting chances because of it. Hopefully, the Stewart demotion will keep Berglund more motivated. One thing is for sure, I doubt either Berglund or Perron can out-work Langenbrunner shift to shift if he stays on that line. And Langenbrunner is an OLD hockey player.
The one thing I've learned about Langenbrunner is that he is fast. I like him.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW