Props to the Front Office

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Props to the Front Office

Post by dmiles2186 »

Since the new regime took over in '06, the Blues have made a number of GREAT moves. Some of the things they did were frustrating. They didn't always go after the big name. But as it stands, this team with 93 points IS what they have been building all along.

1) They built from the goal out. JD always said this is what he wanted to do. They have one of the best goaltending tandems in the league. True, Jaro was supposed to be the lone gunman when Army traded for and signed him. And I'm sure when they signed Elliott, they didn't expect to be getting the team's lone All Star for $600,000.

On top of that, this team has been all about defense. They have two of the brightest stars in the league in Petro and Shatty. But Polak (who was drafted prior to JD and Co. taking over) is a sound, physical presence. Jackman has had a bounce back year (in my opinion). And not to mention the depth of Cola, Huskins, Cole, Russell, etc.

2) Patience with the youngsters. We all groaned when they jerked Perron around his rookie season. We all got angry when Petro was sent down to juniors two years in a row. We saw Oshie burst onto the scene, then have some injuries, behavioral problems and such before he really showed what he could do this year. We've seen Patrick Berglund go up and down and up and down and up again.

All along, the front office maintained that they believed in these players and begged us as fans to remain patient while they grew together.

And they were right. Perron did miss a year, and Berglund still has his up's and down's. But this team grew together and we're seeing the chemistry as a result of that.

3) The trades and pick ups. Now, these I'm going to go off of memory, so correct me if I'm wrong on any of these.

But some of the deals over the years: the twin killings of trading Tkachuk and Guerin the same year for a load of picks. They used the San Jose pick to get David Perron. In that same '07 draft, they picked Lars Eller (traded for Halak) and Ian Cole (solid call up from the AHL). The Sharks did get Logan Couture with the pick the Blues gave them that year, but the Blues got two picks from the Sharks in return.

The Stempy for Steen and Cola deal. The EJ/J Mac for Stew/Shattenkirk deal. Getting a 2nd rounder for Brad Boyes. Getting a 3rd rounder for Brad Winchester. Picking up BJ Crombeen off of waivers. Getting Andy Mac for an old Doug Weight, a 7th rounder, and an AHL'er. Getting D'ags for Palushaj. Warsofsky for Sobotka. Giving up Lars Eller/Ian Schultz for Jaro. I'm missing some, I know.

Sure, there was the Cam for Salvador trade that was a salary dump, but still a bad trade. But it's the one not-so-pretty move out of a large group of sweet deals.

4) Their plan. They knew what they wanted to do and they did it. It took awhile, sure. But building through the draft does that. They now have a depth that rivals any of the league. They don't have the top end talent of, say, the Blackhawks or Flyers. But the Blues can roll 4 lines, their 4th line is outstanding, they play a disciplined-defense first game.

5) The contracts. Thankfully, the Blues don't have any of those stupid 10 year deals that are fashionable around the league. They have some cap space and they have some flexibility when it comes to their deals. It's easier to move a 2 year deal than a deal that has 8 years left on it.

It will be interesting to see what the Blues do when Petro and Shatty and Osh, Perron, Berglund, Stewart, et. al come up for re-signing. Some of that cap space will disappear. But the Blues have room to get those guys signed back up.

My whole point is that we've all complained a lot over the last 5 years. The Blues have done things their own way and they are being rewarded for it. This whole process isn't 'over' yet. But at 93 points on March 9, this team is built to contend like the front office promised us they would be.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Props to the Front Office

Post by DaDitka »

And while he has not made it over yet, and we have now idea how goo he will be....

Trading Rundblad for the pick to select Tarasenko was a great move by identifying our strength and depth at D and attempted to address the need for a scoring forward.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Re: Props to the Front Office

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:And while he has not made it over yet, and we have now idea how goo he will be....

Trading Rundblad for the pick to select Tarasenko was a great move by identifying our strength and depth at D and attempted to address the need for a scoring forward.
Not to mention drafting Jaden Shwarz.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Amen all around. There is a lot to be excited about. The fact that the team plugs along even when Perron, AMac had missed big chunks of the season, Steen being out, etc. shows me a lot and is definitely a testament to the way the team has been built. Some teams lose a couple of their top players like that and their season is in jeopardy.

The Blues are already dangerous as it is and we have Tarasenko and Schwartz on deck. I don't want to hype up Tarasenko any more than he already has been, but if he comes and does what people think he can do...look out, NHL!
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Well put. I'm amazed when I watch this team. I didn't think it would all come together as such, but even when they don't win, the team is fun to watch. The effort and style of play is enjoyable to watch.

And to the point of depth, I don't think I've ever seen a Blues team just chugs along when players go out. There is some nice depth there that no other Blues team I've seen have.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Good posts/points. Just to add to it,
  • Adding free agents Arnott and Langenbrunner
    Naming Backes captain
    Trading Brewer. How could you forget that one!

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Gotta get in on the props thread.

Heres what I like about how this team is put together...defensive beasts on the blueline

Jackman 1st Rnd. 1999
Colaiacovo 1st Rnd. 2001
Pietrangelo 1st Rnd. 2008
Shattenkirk 1st Rnd. 2007
Cole 1st Rnd. 2007

Round that out with:

Polak 6th Rnd. 2004
Russell 3rd Rnd. 2005

This defense has been drafted / traded for (thru strong drafting) to be a lean mean offensively gifted puck moving defence. Reletively young as well.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic