Realignment dropped

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Cajanek_Dvacetsest
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Realignment dropped

Post by Cajanek_Dvacetsest »

I am starting to have Deja Vue again. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-gmsmeetings NO FRACKIN WAY WOULD THEY HAVE 3 STOPPAGES IN 20 YEARS!!

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Realignment dropped

Post by fargoblues »

Totally gay. TOTALLY.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

There has been a surprisingly small amount of talk about this looming disaster...

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

I didn't like the realignment, honestly. There was one point in this seasons that the Blues would've been out of the playoffs because of the division they were in even though they ranked 4th or 5th in the conference. From my understanding of the new plan, unless they solve the scheduling issue to make it so that team could determine their fate more, it would have been controversial at some point.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I can't imagine a scenario where either side would actually allow a delay or cancellation of the 2012-2013 season to happen.

That would be beyond insanity and stupidity.
It was bad enough 7 years ago...but to do it again this quick?? It can't happen...can it?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

cprice12 wrote:I can't imagine a scenario where either side would actually allow a delay or cancellation of the 2012-2013 season to happen.
It has begun.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/3/14/2 ... nhl_t2_a16
The next NHL season will not start overseas in the fall of 2012, according to a report at the Globe and Mail. The season-opening overseas games have been canceled because of uncertainty over the league's collective bargaining agreement. The NHL has played overseas games to start their season every year since 2007. The current CBA is set to expire on September 15.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:I can't imagine a scenario where either side would actually allow a delay or cancellation of the 2012-2013 season to happen.

It was bad enough 7 years ago...but to do it again this quick?? It can't happen...can it?
The league has done so much and came so far to win people back. They are finally thriving, have a new TV deal, marketable stars....like you said, to do this would be beyond insanity and stupidity.

I get that they all want certain things for their side, but another work stoppage would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to the league.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Bettman has said he wants it to be fast and quiet many times, so maybe its going on but quietly.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Winning Unlimited wrote:
It has begun.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/3/14/2 ... nhl_t2_a16
The next NHL season will not start overseas in the fall of 2012, according to a report at the Globe and Mail. The season-opening overseas games have been canceled because of uncertainty over the league's collective bargaining agreement. The NHL has played overseas games to start their season every year since 2007. The current CBA is set to expire on September 15.
Good...I hate the overseas games.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Keep in mind too that it's probably unlikely they'd be negotiating the CBA with the playoffs looming.

Wait until the playoffs start and 14 team's worth of players that (hopefully) include some of the NHLPA leaders can start investing more of their time and energy into it and the ball should get moving then. I wouldn't expect much until then though and I don't think that's out of the ordinary.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

STLADOGG wrote:Bettman has said he wants it to be fast and quiet many times, so maybe its going on but quietly.

That's what he says to his hooker as well.

I'm not buying it.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

Eh - this isn't the NFL.

This would nuke the league.

Even Bettman is smart enough to understand that there is no way this league can have another work stoppage so soon after the last one. The fans will absolutely not forgive it. And frankly, the margins for the owners in the NHL aren't so great that the owners will be able to just absorb the hit in fan interest when the league starts back up.

Another work stoppage would create a very real risk of some teams folding, IMO. It would put the NHL right alongside NASCAR and even MMA as a true fringe sport (if it isn't there already).

Who believes they hold the cards right now? Who's driving the stall? Surely both parties recognize how much they have to lose and how little they have to gain here.

I think it will get done.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

That's my take too. I've heard they are far apart, but they have 6 months to get a deal done. I think they are smart enough to know how bad it will be for them if they have another work stoppage.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

As it's evident there's no hope of any return to tradition (see: no hope of losing the shootout), they need to just tweak a few things, really.

1. Bring back the two line pass to decrease concussions
2. Eliminate the instigator
3. Make the nets a tad bigger and the legal pad size for goalies a tad smaller
4. Increase the OT to 10 minutes
5. Decrease the legal curvature on a stick
6. Eliminate the trapazoid

I would like to see, and I'm sure I'm wholly alone in this, a couple of changes pertaining to power plays:

1. In carry-over power plays, the opening faceoff of the next period shouldn't be at center ice. If you were setting up a nice little play there at the end of the period and the only reason you didn't capitalize was because you didn't have a clear lane or the goalie made a save or whatever, the next period should start with an offensive zone faceoff.
2. For major power plays, offsides should be pushed back to center ice. How many times is a great set up thwarted by lousy ice (or more often, I guess, a lousy pass) that just eeks out of the zone? If conditions are made worse for the team on the 5 minute PK, maybe they wouldn't be so reckless with the penalties they take and cut back on a few injuries.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Completely disagree with eliminating the trapezoid. Eliminate that and then we go back to goalies playing the puck in a corner, getting barely bumped when playing the puck in the corner, and drawing completely lame goalie interference calls. Or - we get Patrick Roy-like holding the puck in the corner like a defenseman, a forward pressuring the goalie, but unable to touch the goalie for fear of drawing the lame interference call.

It's bad enough the interference calls being made when goalies are at the friggin' faceoff dots. Allow goalies to play the puck in the corners and it gets worse.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:As it's evident there's no hope of any return to tradition (see: no hope of losing the shootout), they need to just tweak a few things, really.

I would like to see, and I'm sure I'm wholly alone in this, a couple of changes pertaining to power plays:

1. In carry-over power plays, the opening faceoff of the next period shouldn't be at center ice. If you were setting up a nice little play there at the end of the period and the only reason you didn't capitalize was because you didn't have a clear lane or the goalie made a save or whatever, the next period should start with an offensive zone faceoff.
2. For major power plays, offsides should be pushed back to center ice. How many times is a great set up thwarted by lousy ice (or more often, I guess, a lousy pass) that just eeks out of the zone? If conditions are made worse for the team on the 5 minute PK, maybe they wouldn't be so reckless with the penalties they take and cut back on a few injuries.
OK, here's my $0.02:

1) I hate the two-line pass. HATE. I hear you with concussions but I remember the league before this rule was eliminated and it was a clogged-up boring mess in between the blue lines. Many more stoppages in play. No flow.
2) Amen brother. AMEN. Bring back the Code. Let players police the game.
3) Legal pad size for goalies, check. bigger nets, no me likey
4) Agreed, but don't stop there. Make every game worth three points. 3 for a win in regulation. 2 for a win in OT/Shootout, 1 for OTL, 0 for loss in reg. Also consider 5 minutes of 4-4 and 5 minutes of 3-3. Now that shit would be exciting.
5) I'll buy it.
6) Agreed, but don't stop there. Keep (and maybe expand) the blue crease. If the goalie leaves the crease, he's fair game. Period. Someone wants to play the puck in the corner or at the faceoff dot? Fine, but don't come bitching to me when he gets checked. Period.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Without going all nba on the nhl, if they want to avoid clogging it up at center ice and having a boring brand of hockey, just make trapping styles an illegal defense. The game was plenty exciting before Lemaire went and screwed it all up with his neutral zone crap in NJ and then later in Minnesota. To address Theo's concerns, it's pretty simple... goalie leaves his crease, he's fair game. Goaltender interference should only exist as a penalty in and in the immediate area nearby the crease. Otherwise unless it's blatant intent to injure the goalie, you know what? He's got more equipment on than anyone else, that's the chance he takes by venturing too far from the net.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:Without going all nba on the nhl, if they want to avoid clogging it up at center ice and having a boring brand of hockey, just make trapping styles an illegal defense.
Yes, because there is a surplus of competent officiating that can apply this rule fairly. Oh, wait. :facepalm:

:lol:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Without going all nba on the nhl, if they want to avoid clogging it up at center ice and having a boring brand of hockey, just make trapping styles an illegal defense. The game was plenty exciting before Lemaire went and screwed it all up with his neutral zone crap in NJ and then later in Minnesota. To address Theo's concerns, it's pretty simple... goalie leaves his crease, he's fair game. Goaltender interference should only exist as a penalty in and in the immediate area nearby the crease. Otherwise unless it's blatant intent to injure the goalie, you know what? He's got more equipment on than anyone else, that's the chance he takes by venturing too far from the net.
Back in the day, the rules indicated goalie interference should only be called when the goalie was in the crease. The oh-so-competent NHL officials never enforced it that way, though. Hit the goalie and they would make an interference call, instead of a "goalie" interference call. Didn't matter where the goalie was. The refs were "protecting" the goalie, just like they "protected" Ryan Miller when he was playing a puck at a friggin' faceoff dot.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

fargoblues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:As it's evident there's no hope of any return to tradition (see: no hope of losing the shootout), they need to just tweak a few things, really.

OK, here's my $0.02:

1) I hate the two-line pass. HATE. I hear you with concussions but I remember the league before this rule was eliminated and it was a clogged-up boring mess in between the blue lines. Many more stoppages in play. No flow.
2) Amen brother. AMEN. Bring back the Code. Let players police the game.
3) Legal pad size for goalies, check. bigger nets, no me likey
4) Agreed, but don't stop there. Make every game worth three points. 3 for a win in regulation. 2 for a win in OT/Shootout, 1 for OTL, 0 for loss in reg. Also consider 5 minutes of 4-4 and 5 minutes of 3-3. Now that shit would be exciting.
5) I'll buy it.
6) Agreed, but don't stop there. Keep (and maybe expand) the blue crease. If the goalie leaves the crease, he's fair game. Period. Someone wants to play the puck in the corner or at the faceoff dot? Fine, but don't come bitching to me when he gets checked. Period.
That might help make goalie equipment smaller.. they either have huge pads and play goalie, or have smaller, better gear and play like an extra D-man
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?