GDT #75: 3/28/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Blue Jackets | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #75: 3/28/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Blue Jackets | FSMW/KM

Post by Oaklandblue »

Pathetic, Pathetic game. We got enough firepower and D to be able to win -despite- not having Oshie and a newly returned Shatt. This team is not a one-trick pony and I absolutely do not blame the loss on the loss of our guys from the lineup. This team needs a serious conscience check; they lack resolve and heart, both things Hitch can't beat into them, they either got it or they don't. That's whats going to make the difference come playoff time, nothing else. They have to want it, and they've been playing like they could care less. Frustrating.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Bad ice destroyed numerous offensive zone opportunities along with the unexpected exit of Steen. Fix that f'in ice. NHL players don't intentionally make the puck bounce horribly all night. They are usually skilled enough to settle and flatten it. Both teams had problems with this, which makes it crappy ice. I saw plenty of effort ruined by the crappiness of the facility.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think losing Oshie and Steen, effectively eliminating one of our top lines, was the biggest issue.

But, bottom line, beat the Blue Jackets. Period. Don't screw up the easy ones.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I think losing Oshie and Steen, effectively eliminating one of our top lines, was the biggest issue.

I wouldn't call Columbus an easy one right now.
They are playing very well...and for whatever reason, very well on the road right now.
Columbus played a real good game.

Not having Oshie or Steen only hurt us as well.

Hopefully Steen isn't out for long. That would be a huge loss.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I think losing Oshie and Steen, effectively eliminating one of our top lines, was the biggest issue.

I wouldn't call Columbus an easy one right now.
They are playing very well...and for whatever reason, very well on the road right now.
Columbus played a real good game.

Not having Oshie or Steen only hurt us as well.

Hopefully Steen isn't out for long. That would be a huge loss.
The whatever reason... Columbus finally is healthy. As mentioned during the game last night, no team lost more man games to injury this season than Columbus. They get healthy and win 8 straight on the road against mostly playoff teams. Not an "easy" one.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Columbus is 9-1-1 and have won their last 8 road games. Unfortunately they tanked the rest of the season so playing well now gets them nowhere. But clearly they are not an easy out as they rolled past the Hawks and Blues this week. A lot of times it's the teams that are out of the playoffs that are the most dangerous.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:They say teams out of the playoffs can be the most dangeous and it looks like that's what happened here.
Kerfuffle wrote: A lot of times it's the teams that are out of the playoffs that are the most dangerous.
:ninja:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

drwoland wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:They say teams out of the playoffs can be the most dangeous and it looks like that's what happened here.
Kerfuffle wrote: A lot of times it's the teams that are out of the playoffs that are the most dangerous.
:ninja:
Kerfuffle...NEVERexisted?

:wink:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

So this is where we start our losing streak heading into the playoffs right? So we can follow it up with winning the first two games in the first round and losing out the rest?

:lol: .... :shock:

Well, at least they're consistent.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Kerfuffle wrote:Columbus is 9-1-1 and have won their last 8 road games. Unfortunately they tanked the rest of the season so playing well now gets them nowhere. But clearly they are not an easy out as they rolled past the Hawks and Blues AND DUCKS this week. A lot of times it's the teams that are out of the playoffs that are the most dangerous.
Fixed
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

theohall wrote:Bad ice destroyed numerous offensive zone opportunities along with the unexpected exit of Steen. Fix that f'in ice. NHL players don't intentionally make the puck bounce horribly all night. They are usually skilled enough to settle and flatten it. Both teams had problems with this, which makes it crappy ice. I saw plenty of effort ruined by the crappiness of the facility.

LOL..Columbus played on the same ice and scored twice as many goals as the Blues. If the Blues won you wouldn't be complaining.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
theohall wrote:Bad ice destroyed numerous offensive zone opportunities along with the unexpected exit of Steen. Fix that f'in ice. NHL players don't intentionally make the puck bounce horribly all night. They are usually skilled enough to settle and flatten it. Both teams had problems with this, which makes it crappy ice. I saw plenty of effort ruined by the crappiness of the facility.

LOL..Columbus played on the same ice and scored twice as many goals as the Blues. If the Blues won you wouldn't be complaining.
BS. Columbus had just as many problems with the ice. Or don't you know how to read? Bolded and italicized for the literate impaired. What are you? The facility guy's son?

Difference in the game was one mistake off of a line change. Empty net goals are not difference makers and over-exaggerate goal differentials in games.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

The difference is Columbus found a way to win DESPITE the imperfect ice. Your attitude of making excuses is NOT conducive to winning a Cup.

I'll never forget what the great Scotty Bowman once said. He said Cup winning teams learn how to win WITHOUT making excuses. Just the OPPOSITE of what you're doing!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The difference is Columbus found a way to win DESPITE the imperfect ice. Your attitude of making excuses is NOT conducive to winning a Cup.

I'll never forget what the great Scotty Bowman once said. He said Cup winning teams learn how to win WITHOUT making excuses. Just the OPPOSITE of what you're doing!
He doesn't play for the Blues. Bowman's comments were about the players on the ice...not the fans. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Fans can talk about the real reasons why teams may lose games. And sometimes the reasons aren't excuses...they're just reasons.
I always hated the phrase, "excuses are for losers". Sometimes the f*ing "exucuse" isn't an "excuse", it's a legitimate reason as to why the game turned out the way it did.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The difference is Columbus found a way to win DESPITE the imperfect ice. Your attitude of making excuses is NOT conducive to winning a Cup.

He doesn't play for the Blues. Bowman's comments were about the players on the ice...not the fans. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Fans can talk about the real reasons why teams may lose games. And sometimes the reasons aren't excuses...they're just reasons.
I always hated the phrase, "excuses are for losers". Sometimes the f*ing "exucuse" isn't an "excuse", it's a legitimate reason as to why the game turned out the way it did.
For real. I always hate when people try to say a fan should have the same attitude as a player. To be clear, I don't think theohall was even making an excuse. I think it was just an observation. But, even if it had been an excuse, it wouldn't have any bearing on the outcome of the season. Ditto looking ahead or taking it one game at a time and stuff like that. We're fans. Our thoughts and attitudes don't have an impact on results.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

No one is saying this is the only reason the Blues lost.

To deny that the ice may impact one team more than the other is to be ignorant.

It happens in lots of sports where conditions tip the scales in favor of one team of the other. Like in football when a turf team like the rams of yore lost to a between the tackles smashmouth team because of rain. Shitty ice negates skill, and we have more skill than CBJ ergo we feel that more.

I love to watch games in Edmonton simply because they have stellar ice and games always look so fast. Not so much last night.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The ice in that building has always at least kinda sucked. I remember it was shockingly bad when it first opened.

Turning this around, what sort of hockey fan doesn't notice the condition of the ice or thinks it doesn't matter? Keeping with comparing the mindsets of fans and players-players always notice the relative quality of ice. I doubt many blame the outcome of a game on it, everyone skates on the same stuff, but it does affect things. Obviously.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:To be clear, I don't think theohall was even making an excuse. I think it was just an observation.
Spot on. There was a reason the Blues dominated most of the zone play in this game. Bad ice. Columbus struggled controlling the puck also. It screwed up most of their breakouts. The bad ice screwed up the Blues power plays repeatedly with pucks bouncing as point men tried to receive them.

Bad ice affected both teams, period.

Difference in the game is still the one goal which resulted when the Blues made a change, the Jackets broke up ice, and their was a communication failure between the forwards and the D leading to Columbus's third goal. Take away that mistake, the game goes to OT - mostly due to the crappy ice ruining Columbus efforts to break up ice repeatedly and the Blues inability to hold the zone thanks to bouncing pucks repeatedly.

Anyone not seeing that is not watching the game, but just looking at results and making snap judgements instead of paying attention to more than just results.

It's not like the Blues weren't trying in that game. The effort was there or you don't draw 6 penalties and almost double the opponent in shots on goal.