Hitch & Army Press Conference - Today, 11am

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Hitch & Army Press Conference - Today, 11am

Post by dmiles2186 »

The one positive about today is that Army said Senko is the 'priority' and they'll match any offer sheets that come his way.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

dmiles2186 wrote:The one positive about today is that Army said Senko is the 'priority' and they'll match any offer sheets that come his way.
If I was him I'd turn all that shit down and sign with another team.. (Frank) this shit. Man I really need to take a break from all of this.... I'll see you guys in October.

Who am I kidding. I'll be back sooner...

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

PGABluesFan wrote:
ecbm wrote:
ecbm wrote:Wondering why I should pay attention to this team until I hear they've won 2 playoff series in the same season. Not seeing anything right now.
And judging by the total lack of commentary from the peanut gallery on pieces covering this presser, it looks like I'm not the only one.
This thread will be a few pages long come tonight don't worry
Hope so but I meant around the webz, generally.
Kerfuffle wrote:Wow they bungled this. I think the fans would have appreciated decisive action even if it meant letting Hitch go. By saying it's up to him they wash their hands of it and look wishy-washy. I don't blame you guys for being frustrated - it's like 'just someone please make a decision'.
It's the sort of nonsense that makes sense if you've been really successful. These guys are starting to remind me of Fisher & Snead with the Rams-self assurance out of any sort of proportion with results.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

abc789987 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:The one positive about today is that Army said Senko is the 'priority' and they'll match any offer sheets that come his way.
If I was him I'd turn all that shit down and sign with another team.. (Frank) this shit.
I'm glad you're not him. :grin:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

First game I ever watched was between the Blues and the North Stars, same season as the 1st round sweep of Chicago, Belfour going berserk and then losing in game 7 against the Maple Leafs. Had the game gone differently, I may have decided to be a North Stars--Stars--Stars + Wild fan. Instead, I picked the Blues because I was impressed with the skill set of Hull, Janney and Shanahan and liked CuJo.

As a New Yorker, I could have just as easily been a Rangers fan and enjoyed a Cup the year after I became interested in hockey, I could have been a Devils fan and enjoyed multiple Cups, or I could have been an Islander fan and enjoyed a team that has a storied history, a well documented 1980's dynasty and a current team on the definite upswing.

Instead I pick the Blues. :doh:

Well, in 1992-93 I chose to live and die with this team, and live and die with them, I shall.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I'm going to say this and I don't care what anyone comments to this:

This is, by far, the most gutless franchise/organization I have ever seen in my life.

It's pretty obvious that no one cares to do jack shit but save face with themselves while throwing the fanbase in the fire. I expected better out of Stillman and for his money, I expected he would demand no less than pandering with these people around him. This isn't about respect or disrespecting, this is about business; at the end of the day did we accomplish anything that takes a step forward? If not, have we done anything to help take that step? Has that first step been taken? This press release/announcement/whateverhaveyou is that first step and all others come from it and sets the tone for the future.

Them losing in the first round isn't the barometer I keep. The one I keep is how the franchise reacts after it. If THIS is their reaction, you've just lost me as a fan. I don't care if they disrespect and humiliate each other, don't do that shit to your fanbase and that's exactly what they just did.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Of course he is. That's how they'll sell tickets next year.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Most likely he won't be offer sheeted by another team. There's a 'code' amongst GMs not to pick players off other teams and most usually follow it - unless you tick someone off. After the 2010 season Doug Wilson (GM of the Sharks) was so ticked that the Hawks eliminated his team in round 3 that he offer sheeted HJalmarrson from the Hawks at a much higher salary than HJalmarrson was worth at the time. Everyone, including Hjalms was stunned. The Hawks had no choice but to match the offer and keep him but we overpaid and that's what Doug Wilson wanted. And it was part of the reason we had to shed 9 guys that offseason to get under the cap. So the 'offer sheet' thing is really used more as a 'screw your neighbor' thing than really a legitimate run at acquiring another player. And if one is successful in picking someone off, you have to know it's going to come back to you as that GM or another will want to 'get even'. Hence I believe Tarasenko is safe.

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Yeah, your interpretation is right. Same with the suggestion that they'll talk to Boat (don't believe the line that it was just a business decision-can't believe Boat wasn't somewhat offended to be nickel-and-dimed by a FO that would give Ott & Berglund raises & multi-year deals).

And yes, it seems like there's no real will to do anything differently than in the past. If that's the case now, with the disgusting taste of the latest ouster still on the tongue, I can't see it developing later. Disappointing. I hoped for more from Stillman.

That said, I think the fans could use an attitude adjustment of a similar sort. The sympathy for Elliott blows me away. He played his way out of a starting job after being given a THIRD chance to seize one. (Meanwhile, some folks are ready to give up on Allen!) That's more chances than many goalie prospects get. Move on, whatever he thinks. He's not the answer. But Blues fans are hung up on "liking" him. You know what I'd like? To see the Blues win a couple rounds in a season before I'm dead or so goddamn senile I won't realize what's happening.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Most likely he won't be offer sheeted by another team. There's a 'code' amongst GMs not to pick players off other teams and most usually follow it - unless you tick someone off. After the 2010 season Doug Wilson (GM of the Sharks) was so ticked that the Hawks eliminated his team in round 3 that he offer sheeted HJalmarrson from the Hawks at a much higher salary than HJalmarrson was worth at the time. Everyone, including Hjalms was stunned. The Hawks had no choice but to match the offer and keep him but we overpaid and that's what Doug Wilson wanted. And it was part of the reason we had to shed 9 guys that offseason to get under the cap. So the 'offer sheet' thing is really used more as a 'screw your neighbor' thing than really a legitimate run at acquiring another player. And if one is successful in picking someone off, you have to know it's going to come back to you as that GM or another will want to 'get even'. Hence I believe Tarasenko is safe.
The Canucks threw an offer sheet at Backes back in the day. And we returned the favor to...I forget who.
Yeah, unwritten rule that you don't do that to a team...which I personally don't get. If you can screw another team, go for it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
The Canucks threw an offer sheet at Backes back in the day. And we returned the favor to...I forget who.
Yeah, unwritten rule that you don't do that to a team...which I personally don't get. If you can screw another team, go for it.
We offered Steve Bernier, if I remember correctly. At the time, Bernier had a lot of upside and Backes hadn't turned into the consistent 20/30 goal scorer he became.

I understand that Senko most likely won't get offer sheets thrown his way, but I'm glad that if someone does, Army is already putting everyone on blast that it's not going to work out for them.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
We offered Steve Bernier, if I remember correctly. At the time, Bernier had a lot of upside and Backes hadn't turned into the consistent 20/30 goal scorer he became.

I understand that Senko most likely won't get offer sheets thrown his way, but I'm glad that if someone does, Army is already putting everyone on blast that it's not going to work out for them.
Well, yeah as long as the goal is actually signing him. Now if the goal is: either sign OR drive up the price for the Blues causing them cap problems, well...

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

ecbm wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Yeah, your interpretation is right. Same with the suggestion that they'll talk to Boat (don't believe the line that it was just a business decision-can't believe Boat wasn't somewhat offended to be nickel-and-dimed by a FO that would give Ott & Berglund raises & multi-year deals).

And yes, it seems like there's no real will to do anything differently than in the past. If that's the case now, with the disgusting taste of the latest ouster still on the tongue, I can't see it developing later. Disappointing. I hoped for more from Stillman.

That said, I think the fans could use an attitude adjustment of a similar sort. The sympathy for Elliott blows me away. He played his way out of a starting job after being given a THIRD chance to seize one. (Meanwhile, some folks are ready to give up on Allen!) That's more chances than many goalie prospects get. Move on, whatever he thinks. He's not the answer. But Blues fans are hung up on "liking" him. You know what I'd like? To see the Blues win a couple rounds in a season before I'm dead or so goddamn senile I won't realize what's happening.
With how the FO has treated Elliott, I think he has every right not to care, if that's the problem, though I feel it's the opposite: The FO doesn't care, Ells does.

Brian is in a very f'd up position as this is the guy who took over for an injured Halak and helped us win the only series we've won. Brian loses out to a Miller we traded IN for and later on he loses out to a rookie. Earlier in the season, everyone felt it was flat ridiculous for Jake to start in the playoffs. What happened?

Now I'm not saying starting Jake was the wrong way to go, the kid was the hot hand and riding him in was the right call. There is no one who can say if it'd been different if Ells had started, even though Ells has playoff experience and his PLAYOFF record speaks of a guy who can hold and keep you in the games you don't deserve to be kept in. Jake's slowly becoming the same way.

I don't think there should be sympathy for Brian because goaltending-wise the FO made the best decision it could going into the playoffs. What there should be for Brian, given his records, numbers and playoff performance, is RESPECT. And that will never happen with the jokers running the Note now.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

ecbm wrote: Well, yeah as long as the goal is actually signing him. Now if the goal is: either sign OR drive up the price for the Blues causing them cap problems, well...
yep - that's exactly it. Also if the Blues were near cap limit all another team needs to do is offer a ridiculous amount ($9per for 3 years) - so great money for Tarasenko but also covers the receiving team by giving him a short term deal in case he was just a one year wonder. If Blues went to match they couldn't without shedding lots of other guys. So yeah it's a great way to mess with other teams, but guys put yourself in the GMs shoes. Do you want to spend your offseason trying to screw the other guy or rather put your efforts into going after free agents that are attainable to improve your own team? I think the Blues statement today was just chest thumping for the fans to show that they will defend the right to keep Tarasenko.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

After careful consideration, if I was a multi-billionaire, I do believe I'd make a push to buy the team the next time it's put up for sale, which will probably be sooner than later. In my first press conference I'd say that it's incredibly unacceptable to the fans and the city that this teams greatest accomplishment was a comeback win in a losing series. Do any current members of the Blues organization realize that? The teams entire history is synonymous with losing. Call everyone out from day one. Set an ultimatum that anyone who doesn't buy in to ownerships philosophy of what is and isn't acceptable will be systematically spread around the league via trade, release or demotion.

Stillman can't really be that much of a moron that he doesn't realize all these early exits are costing him money. If my hired help was making me bleed money like a pig at slaughter, I'd get new hired help.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Oaklandblue wrote:
ecbm wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

With how the FO has treated Elliott, I think he has every right not to care, if that's the problem, though I feel it's the opposite: The FO doesn't care, Ells does.

Brian is in a very f'd up position as this is the guy who took over for an injured Halak and helped us win the only series we've won. Brian loses out to a Miller we traded IN for and later on he loses out to a rookie. Earlier in the season, everyone felt it was flat ridiculous for Jake to start in the playoffs. What happened?

Now I'm not saying starting Jake was the wrong way to go, the kid was the hot hand and riding him in was the right call. There is no one who can say if it'd been different if Ells had started, even though Ells has playoff experience and his PLAYOFF record speaks of a guy who can hold and keep you in the games you don't deserve to be kept in. Jake's slowly becoming the same way.

I don't think there should be sympathy for Brian because goaltending-wise the FO made the best decision it could going into the playoffs. What there should be for Brian, given his records, numbers and playoff performance, is RESPECT. And that will never happen with the jokers running the Note now.
All the front office has "done" to Elliott is to acquire him when his stock was in the toilet and pay him handsomely while he never started more than 45 games in a season (that was this season). He wasn't shafted by anyone, let alone the FO. It's Hitch who decided to bench him and that's a call with which I have no problem. Over the last quarter of a season, he alternated really good starts with starts where he'd give up 3-4 goals on around 20 shots. He gets the role on this team-on any team-he earns. He never earned the right to be a nailed-on starter here. Curtis Joseph did that. Grant Fuhr did that. For a couple seasons, Roman Turek did that. Brian Elliott never did.

I mean, look at his numbers. ALL of his numbers. There's nothing that impressive in there. And not only that, he also never went on a ridiculous streak like Dubnyk or Hammond or Holtby did this season for example.

Respect or otherwise for Brian Elliott shouldn't be a concern for the Blues or their fans. Building a post season winner-and making that omelet will require cracking a few eggs, ask any other championship team or their fans-should be the only concern.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Kerfuffle wrote:
ecbm wrote: Well, yeah as long as the goal is actually signing him. Now if the goal is: either sign OR drive up the price for the Blues causing them cap problems, well...
yep - that's exactly it. Also if the Blues were near cap limit all another team needs to do is offer a ridiculous amount ($9per for 3 years) - so great money for Tarasenko but also covers the receiving team by giving him a short term deal in case he was just a one year wonder. If Blues went to match they couldn't without shedding lots of other guys. So yeah it's a great way to mess with other teams, but guys put yourself in the GMs shoes. Do you want to spend your offseason trying to screw the other guy or rather put your efforts into going after free agents that are attainable to improve your own team? I think the Blues statement today was just chest thumping for the fans to show that they will defend the right to keep Tarasenko.
Agreed. I think the key to this is that there aren't any feuds that I know of between the Blues FO and other teams. There's no bad blood-unlike in your example with Hjalmarsson (sp???)-so we're probably safe.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

To be consistent with the idea of developing a speedier, more offensively inclined team--and addressing toughness on the blue line--Lindbohm and Bortuzzo need to see regular time next season. Mike Green is a UFA and should be considered if money opens up. He's done it before, offensively, from the blue line and would be a more productive replacement for Bouwmeester. Pie, Shatty, Green, Lindbohm, Bortuzzo and I guess retaining Michalek looks like a nice enough starting 6. Parayko (I know I'm harping on Parayko a lot) would do well as the #7 and maybe unseat Michalek at some point.

Revamping the offense starts with keeping the STL line together. After that, you can unload the entire SOB line for all I care. What you get in return I don't know. I don't want to speculate on trades and end up sounding moronic. But if that entire line was being replaced by free agents there's not a whole lot of great names. Since Berglund will be hard to move, we'll have the make the best of a bad situation and keep him on a line with Stastny and Jaskin. Maybe they can find some chemistry. Stastny did make Chris Stewart look good in Colorado. Revamp the 4th line entirely and make a line of Fabbri, Barbashev and Rattie. It can't prove any less successful than our current arrangement.

In any event none of this will happen. Armstrong will make a tweak here, a tweak there, a farm signing, depth moves, the heart of this team will still be the same heartless morons.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

glen a richter wrote:After careful consideration, if I was a multi-billionaire, I do believe I'd make a push to buy the team the next time it's put up for sale, which will probably be sooner than later. In my first press conference I'd say that it's incredibly unacceptable to the fans and the city that this teams greatest accomplishment was a comeback win in a losing series. Do any current members of the Blues organization realize that? The teams entire history is synonymous with losing. Call everyone out from day one. Set an ultimatum that anyone who doesn't buy in to ownerships philosophy of what is and isn't acceptable will be systematically spread around the league via trade, release or demotion.

Stillman can't really be that much of a moron that he doesn't realize all these early exits are costing him money. If my hired help was making me bleed money like a pig at slaughter, I'd get new hired help.
Our organization didn't turn around until the old man died and the team finally stated at a presser that "we want to win the cup". Prior to that they never said that. GMs and coaches over the years would come in and say that it was time "to return to Blackhawk hockey" - whatever that meant. The pressers were continually frustrating and kept the same line of thinking with equally disappointing results. I really expected to see some anger in the Blues presser today - that they find these results unacceptable and that major changes were going to happen. I would find that encouraging if I was a Blues fan. Instead it came off as indecisive and trying not to rock the boat.